The Incubator Thread

My dad has proposed that I keep the eggs in cartons for turning and lockdown. I thought it may be awkward to turn them while in egg cartons, but that having them in cartons during lockdown may be a good idea. Can you explain your method of tilting? I assume this would only need to be done if the air cell development is poor?
Thanks!
Before I purchased automatic turners I rigged up turners from cloths wire and the bottom of egg cartons. I bent the wire so the carton would sit on top of the bended wire which was bent in such a way that it would rock the eggs from being turned by a wire outside the bator. I used a small vise grip on the end of the wire to keep the turner in the position I wanted it in. They work great. just make sure to take the turners out and lay the eggs down in the bator so they don't get a little wing or leg stuck between any wires.

Newest addition to the morning
jumpy.gif
and on time
clap.gif

My ol Hovobator hasn't let me down once again. I took the turner out on lock down day and the humidity spiked and I could n't get it down till last night. Out of the 10 remaining eggs I only saw movement in 2 eggs at lock down. I'm sure those 2 have drowned. Thank goodness I have the Brinsea finally and will have chicks on the 30th. I'll fill it back up when it's cleaned after those chicks.

Hello:

I have been using a Little Giant 40 egg incubator. It does not hold a steady temp and I have a tough time keeping the humidity where I want it. I have more and more orders for ducklings coming in. So.....

I would like to move up to a smallish cabinet incubator. Something that will hold around 100 eggs or so.

There are a million brands out there and all have similar specs. Does anyone have a favorite or a brand to avoid?

Thank you!

Hello:

I have been using a Little Giant 40 egg incubator. It does not hold a steady temp and I have a tough time keeping the humidity where I want it. I have more and more orders for ducklings coming in. So.....

I would like to move up to a smallish cabinet incubator. Something that will hold around 100 eggs or so.

There are a million brands out there and all have similar specs. Does anyone have a favorite or a brand to avoid?

Thank you!
I've never used a cabnet that wasn't hand made but I hear that Brinsea and GQF are the best. A friend of mine had a cabinet GQF and he always had alot of chicks hatching. I used a cabinet that i made for 1 season for guinea and quail and it did good but not what i wanted it to do. I added another heat element to the lower half then sold it. i never used it after I upgraded it.

I would keep an eye out for used cabinet incubators (GQF Sportsmans are most popular, but Dickeys and Brinseas are great too). If you want new, consider a new Dickey, they are over $100 less than the Sportsmans for similar features/quality.

IDK of anything I could recommend in the 100 egg range. There may be some no-name imports with those capacities, but be careful about build quality. A well known brand of cabinet incubator holds it's value well, and even if you never sell it, it will pay for itself in pretty short order.

My ol Hovobator hasn't let me down once again. I took the turner out on lock down day and the humidity spiked and I could n't get it down till last night. Out of the 10 remaining eggs I only saw movement in 2 eggs at lock down. I'm sure those 2 have drowned. Thank goodness I have the Brinsea finally and will have chicks on the 30th. I'll fill it back up when it's cleaned after those chicks.

Do you have any photos of them cute kittle chicks
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom