The Incubator Thread

Hop on mom
clap.gif

The carbon base incubator introducing her goslings to the gaggle
love.gif

gander007
old.gif

These are two of my practice farm eggs that I put in before my shipped Silkie eggs got here. The first one is obviously looking great and developing right? The second one is looking weird to me. Did I put In a double yolk egg? The shell is super dark and it is hard to see what is going on in there and the egg is pretty large. What do you all think?

Hey all - this is more of an incubator story.... My pure buff orpington ducks from Metzers were doing great and just before their first birthday on April 10th they were eaten by something at night. I had 3 ladies and 1 drake. Sucker is, I had just promised kids we would start saving eggs for incubator and put in over a dozen this time, getting 2 or 3 a day. Well that was horrible. I had 5 eggs sitting on my counter, because, I never seem to get to washing them or the chickens but for every few days. And then as I was setting up the incubator thought about the ones I had in the refrigerator. I wanted to just fill the incubator more, and figured why not try a science experiment. This gets better since I had sold a few overflow eggs and the 3 ducks eggs that were left in my fridge were from 3/4, 3/5, & 3/6. So I now have 5 eggs two days old and 3 eggs that had been washed and in the refrigerator for over a month. When I candled them at 10 days i had 8 eggs with veins, now one egg was covered in mud and i did not expect it to hatch, all the reading i had done said to set the dirty egg without washing. After this experiment, I might just get off most of the dirt. The three fridge eggs, which i labeled were growing fine. All 7 eggs, the dirty one did not hatch, are GREAT... the 4 'newer' eggs hatched 5/7 and the 3 fridge eggs hatched 5/8. i have marked the 3 fridge babies to see how they develop. Interesting, and happy it worked, I loved my buff ducks.

These are two of my practice farm eggs that I put in before my shipped Silkie eggs got here. The first one is obviously looking great and developing right? The second one is looking weird to me. Did I put In a double yolk egg? The shell is super dark and it is hard to see what is going on in there and the egg is pretty large. What do you all think?

Egg on the right does not look fertile from what I am seeing.

Day 13 should I get rid of these? They don't look good and I don't see movement all my other eggs have some movement but not these.

A couple of them Might be good----I would mark them(as long as they do not smell), put them back for a few days then on day 18 remove what is not any good for Lock-down.

A couple of them Might be good----I would mark them(as long as they do not smell), put them back for a few days then on day 18 remove what is not any good for Lock-down.

Ok. Well for starters I was thinking the same thing about waiting a little longer but it does smell a little odd I'm not sure if it's just how eggs smell in an incubator because I've never done this before so I'm not sure what it's supposed to smell like. Also these are Pekin Duck eggs not chicken eggs so it's say 25 for lock down.

Just would like to share my find from today. Plugged everything in and it all works great but I believe I will be refurbishing some of the inside parts along with cord that had a slice in it. Be been into hatching eggs for about 6 months now and have decided to get pretty serious about it but stay on a budget. This cabinet popped up for $100 today so I drove 2 hours to pick it up. I think I got a great dea. Now just trying to find some more information on it. I believe it's a leahy 1200. It's a 8 shelf model and the shelf have the slide turners on them. You push or pull the slide to turn the eggs. I cannot believe everything works for as old as it is. Now just trying to clean it up a bit and get some small things refurbished and get some eggs in it.

Ok. Well for starters I was thinking the same thing about waiting a little longer but it does smell a little odd I'm not sure if it's just how eggs smell in an incubator because I've never done this before so I'm not sure what it's supposed to smell like. Also these are Pekin Duck eggs not chicken eggs so it's say 25 for lock down.

Oh Ok, I missed the Duck egg part. I would mark them and re-candle/smell in 3 or 4 days. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom