The Incubator Thread

HELP. i have had 65 eggs in a incubator i put them in there in groups is 8 so far non has hatched i have 24 more eggs suppose to hatch in the next 3 days i just perchesd 2 thermometers not cheep ones and put them n the bater and they both say 109.f... i candled last night and i saw 2 chicks moving what do i need to do or is there anything i can do this is my fisrt hatch

HELP. i have had 65 eggs in a incubator i put them in there in groups is 8 so far non has hatched i have 24 more eggs suppose to hatch in the next 3 days i just perchesd 2 thermometers not cheep ones and put them n the bater and they both say 109.f... i candled last night and i saw 2 chicks moving what do i need to do or is there anything i can do this is my fisrt hatch

Hey Peecock. I Sure wish you would have ask the questions before starting up, But we are here and it does not sound good.

65 eggs-----what kind of incubator are you using?

How long have the eggs that have not hatched--but should have been in the incubator or are you saying your first batches are due to hatch?

109 is not good---if that is right and its been 109 for days----you probably want have any luck if they have been in there more than a few days

Does it have its own built in meters? If so what were they reading---before you put the new ones in the incubator?

Groups of 8 eggs----what 8 eggs per day?????

Where you going to try to incubate and hatch in the same Incubator?

Are you adding water in the incubator? Have you ever checked the Humidity in the incubator?

A question to think about---How would you increase the Moisture needed to Hatch the eggs, but keep the moisture a lot lower for the incubation--when you are trying to incubate and hatch every day???

For sure Do Not add any more eggs till you get this figured out.

It would be best for you to ask a lot of questions---so you can understand about incubating before you add more eggs.

Last edited:
i have i little giant still air bater

on may 10th i put 8 chicken eggs in there and added about that meny every day until my bator got full my first hatch date was the 31 may no one hatched i waited 3 more days and i opened the eggs up verry carefully and they were all dead they had fully developed just had not absorbed there yoke sack they looked like they had died about day 19 and i had all but the ones that were suppose the hatch do that 7 were going to hatch yesterday but so far have not

my bator has thermometer/hydrometer in it it says temp is 99.5.f but my other two say 109.f hydrometer has stayed around 60% but day 18 i raised it to 75%

it is a still air so my middle eggs do get hotter then my outside eggs

yes 8 eggs per day not a good choice and i will never do that again

yes i add water every 3-5 days depending on how often it needs it

i have two of the same bators on day 18 i move them into the one (my hatcher) with higher humidity ans lower temp.

no more until this gets solved

im probably going to get my $ back and invest in a better one that does not cook them
hit.gif

i have i little giant still air bater

on may 10th i put 8 chicken eggs in there and added about that meny every day until my bator got full my first hatch date was the 31 may no one hatched i waited 3 more days and i opened the eggs up verry carefully and they were all dead they had fully developed just had not absorbed there yoke sack they looked like they had died about day 19 and i had all but the ones that were suppose the hatch do that 7 were going to hatch yesterday but so far have not

my bator has thermometer/hydrometer in it it says temp is 99.5.f but my other two say 109.f hydrometer has stayed around 60% but day 18 i raised it to 75%

it is a still air so my middle eggs do get hotter then my outside eggs

yes 8 eggs per day not a good choice and i will never do that again

yes i add water every 3-5 days depending on how often it needs it

i have two of the same bators on day 18 i move them into the one (my hatcher) with higher humidity ans lower temp.

no more until this gets solved

im probably going to get my $ back and invest in a better one that does not cook them
hit.gif

OK, You have changed Everything then, by having another incubator for hatching!

Lets start Over------NEVER trust a built in meter in these Incubator--NEVER, NEVER, NEVER---Now we have that out the way!!

Is it your hatcher that the new thermometers are showing 109 or both hatcher and Incubator. Must be your hatcher if the egg appears developed good and died around the time it went into the hatcher.

You are setting them wrong---you should have collected the eggs you want to set and place them in the incubator once a week---maybe 20 eggs per week because "I" think 65 in your incubator is to many. Set the first batch(20) any day you want but for this typing lets say Sunday. The next Sunday set the second batch(now 40), The next Sunday set 20 more(now 60), now on the 18 day for the first batch, candle and move the good ones to the READY hatcher. The following Sunday set 20 more---your eggs should be hatching around that time----when they get through hatching---clean the hatcher and get it ready because you will have another batch in a couple 3 days to go into it----you can do this till you get tired of chicks---LOL. I did this for 17 months but with a lot more eggs per week---some times over 300 per week.

Now Humidity---Way to high in the Incubator---again do not trust the built in meter----I like to stay around 35+/- for the incubator and around 70+/- for the hatcher.

Let me tell you what """"I"""" do. When I put the eggs in the hatcher on day 18, I do not reopen the hatcher For NO REASON till day 22 unless all the eggs hatch before then. If it needs water I add it with a flex straw and a syringe---If a chick looks like it needs help---I tell it to hang in there and I will help on day 22 if it still needs it Not Before---I will not jeopardize all the rest to try and help one. OK having said all this---I know some say open during the hatch if you want---hurts Nothing---all I can say about that is it DOES at my Home. By leaving mine closed I hatch 95 to 100% every hatch, better than what I use to do when I opened mine during the hatch some years back----I had poor hatches then---even Zero hatch out of 40 eggs one time. Thats Your Call.

Last edited:
the temp was 107.f in incubator the temp was 109 in hatcher i have lower my built in meter by half a degree until my secondary store bought meter says 99.5 now both incubator is at 99.5.f and hatcher is at 98.f some one told me to on day 18 lower your temp to 97-98 degrees is that true?

i will fix my humidity do you think it is a total loss and start over or do you think there i a chance of still saving the rest ?

thanks for your help
thumbsup.gif

the temp was 107.f in incubator the temp was 109 in hatcher i have lower my built in meter by half a degree until my secondary store bought meter says 99.5 now both incubator is at 99.5.f and hatcher is at 98.f some one told me to on day 18 lower your temp to 97-98 degrees is that true?

i will fix my humidity do you think it is a total loss and start over or do you think there i a chance of still saving the rest ?

thanks for your help
thumbsup.gif

Well Those temps are way to high-----Its your call. I have never been in your shoes---but I personally would start completely over if I were in your shoes because about everything is against you.

If the person whom told you to set the hatcher to 97-98 degree's has great hatches do what ever you feel. I have read many peoples advise and have shook my head when I find out they have only one or two flop hatches----but still giving advise----do your Home-work---only take advise from experienced GOOD Hatchers. I will tell you this----"my" hatcher is Locked down at 99.5 to 100 and I hatch 1000's and 1000's and 1000's and have 100% hatches often and they hatch on time---day 20/21 I would Never drop mine to a true 97-98 degree's. Good Luck

Edited to add a joke--I have set around 150 broody hens in the last 3 years---and Have Never see them setting in their water pan trying to get their body heat down to 97-98, during the hatch---LOL

They all do such a great job----I try and follow what they do!!

Last edited:
LOL
D.gif
big_smile.png
thats true i did not look at it like that... you sound like you know what you are doing alot more them me.. i will keep my temps at 99.5f and start over thank you for all your help

if you dont mind me asking what do u do with all the 1000s of chicks you hatch???

LOL
D.gif
big_smile.png
thats true i did not look at it like that... you sound like you know what you are doing alot more them me.. i will keep my temps at 99.5f and start over thank you for all your help

if you dont mind me asking what do u do with all the 1000s of chicks you hatch???

1000's of chicks----I am just "Playing". I sell some as chicks, grow some to pullets to sell, even grew some rooster to sell. I hatched about 5700 in a little over a year(mid of 2014 to mid of 2015 mainly) I always wanted to hatch a few----so I got busy.

As far as me knowing what I am doing. I always strive to get a better hatch if there is any way possible----I do what works Best For Me here in my Location. I always want to see Others have a Great Hatch so I spend a lot of time on here---trying to help. If you need any help---just ask---there is some good hatchers on here. Just try to ask BEFORE you "Break The Glass" you might get some great help and Not Break the glass!

Last edited:
Today is day twenty eight on my bator! Hopefully I'll get some ducklings soon.
They typically hatch around the same time you put them in, right? Because is so mine won't hatch till tonight.

Back
Top Bottom