The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

they look like teen agers to me, no adult plumage, males tail will curl when at breeding age. Unless you were very very lucky and got all females. I lost our hen by having 2 dominant drakes. now we just have 4 drakes, no hens. as soon as she died, the social change between the older and younger drakes started to change. Now they are inseparable. Just have them for fun. caution.... you need 1 male to at least 5 females. You will loose the females if you only have 1 or 2 and the rest males. They are a blast to watch. I inlarges the pics., you may have 2-3 females dark bill, the rest may be males from what i can see. just going to have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Hi I brought some khaki Campbell's yesterday this is my first time having this breed I don't know how old they are I was wondering can anyone tell by these pictures and what sexes they are will try and get better pics soon
I agree with Firestomp that they are teenagers. At that age the quacks can give them away. Girls can make a loud, normal duck quack, the boys will still peep like a duckling for a while until they get their raspy sound. My Khaki boys had their legs start turning more orange, and their bills more became lighter than the girls at this stage so you might try getting pictures which include their legs. My boys also had much darker feathers right above their tails before they got their big boy colors They have thicker necks and prettier heads too. My best guess from your pictures in that all three are the same gender but it is really hard to tell. The picture below is of my first pair with the female on the left and boy on the right.

Hi I brought some khaki Campbell's yesterday this is my first time having this breed I don't know how old they are I was wondering can anyone tell by these pictures and what sexes they are will try and get better pics soon
I agree with Firestomp that they are teenagers. At that age the quacks can give them away. Girls can make a loud, normal duck quack, the boys will still peep like a duckling for a while until they get their raspy sound. My Khaki boys had their legs start turning more orange, and their bills more became lighter than the girls at this stage so you might try getting pictures which include their legs. My boys also had much darker feathers right above their tails before they got their big boy colors They have thicker necks and prettier heads too. My best guess from your pictures in that all three are the same gender but it is really hard to tell. The picture below is of my first pair with the female on the left and boy on the right.

Oh noooo! The little bobble things on Rascals feet that began months ago have got longer and one of her legs is warm so I reckon it's a confirmed bumble foot and now I feet awful. I've ordered some Vetrinycin spray but does she need antibiotics now? X

Ok my girl had that and i yook het to the vet who opetated s d gave antibiotics and metacam and name she died because of the metacam so avoid that. When my other little one also got bumble foot in treated it myself and that was 6 months ago and she's fully recovered.

So what I would recommendefinitely is soaking the foption daily in hydrogen peroxide which you can get for about a pound in boots. Then dry it and cover with manuka gauze and bandage. Keep it clean and sterilex and it will heal. Be patient as it takes a while but it's way safer than the vet I promise.

All the best xxx

="RascalAndJemima" url="/t/302654/the-khaki-campbell-duck-thread/2460#post_17850475"]Oh noooo! The little bobble things on Rascals feet that began months ago have got longer and one of her legs is warm so I reckon it's a confirmed bumble foot and now I feet awful. I've ordered some Vetrinycin spray but does she need antibiotics now? X[/quote]

Oh no how sad! The vets would be a final resort.
Thanks Laurita. Where did you get your gauze from? Was it a pet one or just from a pharmacy? Xxx

Ok my girl had that and i yook het to the vet who opetated s d gave antibiotics and metacam and name she died because of the metacam so avoid that. When my other little one also got bumble foot in treated it myself and that was 6 months ago and she's fully recovered.

So what I would recommendefinitely is soaking the foption daily in hydrogen peroxide which you can get for about a pound in boots. Then dry it and cover with manuka gauze and bandage. Keep it clean and sterilex and it will heal. Be patient as it takes a while but it's way safer than the vet I promise.

All the best xxx

="RascalAndJemima" url="/t/302654/the-khaki-campbell-duck-thread/2460#post_17850475"]Oh noooo! The little bobble things on Rascals feet that began months ago have got longer and one of her legs is warm so I reckon it's a confirmed bumble foot and now I feet awful. I've ordered some Vetrinycin spray but does she need antibiotics now? X
[/quote]

I actually got it from a friend that's a nurse but you can buse it on amazon. It's not cheap but it's a **** site cheaper than a vet. Also vet wrap bandages front amazone are great as they don't stick to her but stay on well. Hope that helps xx

Oh noooo! The little bobble things on Rascals feet that began months ago have got longer and one of her legs is warm so I reckon it's a confirmed bumble foot and now I feet awful. I've ordered some Vetrinycin spray but does she need antibiotics now? X
The best thing would be a trip to a good duck vet. If the leg is warm she needs antibiotics.

Vetericyn spray probably won't be sufficient at this point.

Until you can get to a vet and/or start oral antibiotics, please start external treatment. She may not need cutting - are there photo's?

Here is something I wrote up about the clear iodine method

Response for Bumblefoot including link to clear iodine method

I would use the foot soak and clear iodine method - worth a try - see how it goes for about ten days, then review and adjust treatment if needed.

If his legs seem rather warm, I would also start him on Duramycin oral antibiotic to protect from systemic infection.

Here is the link to the description of the clear iodine method. Because so many people get a little confused, please bear with me as I point out a few things... The iodine is clear iodine. Not brown. The iodine is placed on the bumble, just maybe 3 drops, right after soaking and drying the feet. Blow on the iodine to dry it. Keep the little one in a safe, relatively clean place during treatment. The feet are soaked, then the iodine applied once. Then 5 or 6 days later, the feet are soaked again and checked. If the scab that should have formed starts to come loose fairly easily, it can be pulled off. In an advanced case this may need to be repeated.

Okay, now the link.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/560693/need-input-on-bumblefoot-treatment-in-ducks/20

Please look at post 22

The best thing would be a trip to a good duck vet.  If the leg is warm she needs antibiotics.

Vetericyn spray probably won't be sufficient at this point.

Until you can get to a vet and/or start oral antibiotics, please start external treatment.  She may not need cutting - are there photo's?

Here is something I wrote up about the clear iodine method

Response for Bumblefoot including link to clear iodine method

I would use the foot soak and clear iodine method - worth a try - see how it goes for about ten days, then review and adjust treatment if needed.

If his legs seem rather warm, I would also start him on Duramycin oral antibiotic to protect from systemic infection.

Here is the link to the description of the clear iodine method.  Because so many people get a little confused, please bear with me as I point out a few things... The iodine is clear iodine.  Not brown.  The iodine is placed on the bumble, just maybe 3 drops, right after soaking and drying the feet.  Blow on the iodine to dry it.  Keep the little one in a safe, relatively clean place during treatment.  The feet are soaked, then the iodine applied once.  Then 5 or 6 days later, the feet are soaked again and checked.  If the scab that should have formed starts to come loose fairly easily, it can be pulled off.  In an advanced case this may need to be repeated.

Okay, now the link.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/560693/need-input-on-bumblefoot-treatment-in-ducks/20

Please look at post 22

Home treatments are underway and she's booked into the vets on Monday! X

I need some help. I just recently got my entire flock (chickens, ducks, turkey, quail, and guinea) certified NPIP and AI clean. The breeding pens were setup and ready for spring hatching. My Khakis were carefully selected and the others long sold. I had 1 drake and 4 hens. The drake was gorgeous and just coming into his breeding plumage. Unfortunately, he has gone missing. Without another drake all my girls will be laying duds when they start laying. I am in desperate need of a good quality drake (no crested genes). He was a show quality duck and I need another like him. I will take eggs, youngsters, or even a mature drake with good bloodlines. Please.

Back
Top Bottom