The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

I just bought a kiddie pool for my ducks, any idea how I can get them to not be afraid of it?? lol
1f606.png
I'm pretty sure their at the ginger bread man stage
1f602.png

Yep i add grass and peas... and they will get tempted enough to jump in :)

I would suggest paying attention to the size of the drake if you have small hens. They can and will get hurt by getting mounted by the huge drakes. Hens have a pecking order also and that they mount each other in a reflection of dominate`s . The Cayuga is not compatible with the Khaki-Campbell at all. Their offspring would also have no future.

I agree with you that the size difference could result in a smaller duck getting hurt. I would think that the Pekin's size would be more of an issue than the Cayuga's though. Why do you think they are not compatible and that their offspring wouldn't have a future? I believe I read a post recently that said that the person's Cayuga, Khaki cross was their best layer. If you are trying to keep the Cayuga gene pool pure then it is too late if Billygoat6114 already has them with Pekins?!

Quote: A duck can lay eggs with out a drake. It is questionable if the eggs are going to have a baby duckling. I have heard stories of people buying ducks at a farm supply and then the ducks are not ever able to have live ducklings, although they can lay eggs.
It is like comparing a mule to a horse. I love both but the fertility does not work.
A Cayuga is a different type of duck. The Pekin and Khaki are compatable no doubt.
What is the purpose of having a Cayuga drake in the flock . Also heard of several large drakes, killing a hen because of over mounting her.
Sorry, I am so partial to hen `s and have no drakes since I only want eggs for eating.
Drakes are hard on them. Have safe and fun with your ducks.

Actually, a cayuga can be bred with any other type of mallard derived duck (such as khakis). Th offspring are fertile. However, muscovys are different, they can be mated with mallards, but the offspring are mules (unfertile)

Hope that helps!

A duck can lay eggs with out a drake. It is questionable if the eggs are going to have a baby duckling. I have heard stories of people buying ducks at a farm supply and then the ducks are not ever able to have live ducklings, although they can lay eggs.
It is like comparing a mule to a horse. I love both but the fertility does not work.
A Cayuga is a different type of duck. The Pekin and Khaki are compatable no doubt.
What is the purpose of having a Cayuga drake in the flock . Also heard of several large drakes, killing a hen because of over mounting her.
Sorry, I am so partial to hen `s and have no drakes since I only want eggs for eating.
Drakes are hard on them. Have safe and fun with your ducks.
You peaked my curiosity as I teach AP Biology and we are currently studying hybrid vitality. So, I went back and looked in "Storey's Guide to Ducks" by Dave Holderread (the duck bible). He does mention that there can be a lack of fertility or decreased fertility when you cross different types of ducks but not always. I plan to hatch some eggs next month from my flock and it will be interesting to see if I have issues since one of my drakes is a cross (Khaki, Appleyard). I wonder what types people were getting and crossing from tractor supply. Tractor supply doesn't sell Muscovy ducks, does it? Holderread does say that all domestic ducks are of Mallard decent except Muscovy Ducks. A Mallard descent duck crossed with a Muscovy is always infertile like a mule. I am not finding anything that says a Cayuga, Mallard descent duck cross will always be infertile, but I have never tried it. Holderread has crossed them and says that when he used a Khaki drake and a Cayuga hen he got "5.5-pound birds that laid 270 to 300 eggs per hen per year and were relatively calm and good foragers" but he doesn't mention their fertility. Very interesting, I may have to ask on the mixed duck breed post to see if anyone has tried it.
Have fun with your ducks as well.

I understand being partial to hens -my boys can be difficult. I too have my ducks mostly for the eggs, but, I like being able to hatch some eggs in my classroom.

A duck can lay eggs with out a drake. It is questionable if the eggs are going to have a baby duckling. I have heard stories of people buying ducks at a farm supply and then the ducks are not ever able to have live ducklings, although they can lay eggs.
A Cayuga is a different type of duck. The Pekin and Khaki  are compatable no doubt.
Sorry, I am so partial  to hen `s and have no drakes since I only want eggs for eating.
Drakes are hard on them.   Have safe and fun with your ducks.

Cayugas are a mallard derived breed just the same as a pekin or khaki...
Not the same thing as a mule and horse
And some people just like having a drake in the flock
1f642.png

Cayuga can breed with other mallard breeds and hatch out ducklings no problem and the offspring are also fertile.
muscovy are different but they can breed with mallard breeds and hatch out ducklings: but their offspring will not be fertile...

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I have tried dropping the ducks in the kiddie pool, but they just scramble to get out
1f615.png
I haven't really given them peas lately because when they were little there beaks were too tiny
1f606.png
. But I'll try now since their beaks have gotten a bit bigger. Ducks can eat collard right? When we get our garden going we get TONS of collards. We've had collards plants survive our New England winters
1f602.png
we also get a lot of mint leaves. I throw mint leaves in the chicken coop in the summer.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I have tried dropping the ducks in the kiddie pool, but they just scramble to get out
1f615.png
I haven't really given them peas lately because when they were little there beaks were too tiny
1f606.png
. But I'll try now since their beaks have gotten a bit bigger. Ducks can eat collard right? When we get our garden going we get TONS of collards. We've had collards plants survive our New England winters
1f602.png
we also get a lot of mint leaves. I throw mint leaves in the chicken coop in the summer.
I chopped collard for my ducklings, and threw it in the water. They ate it
smile.png

Also, if you get more than one in, they are more likely to stay in the pool. What I had when mine were little was a tall totebox, so I had to pick them up or they couldnt get in anyway. After they all were in, they settled down and starting doing what ducks do in water
big_smile.png

Do you know if the offspring of the cross (Khaki x Cayuga) have any decreased fertility?
Short answer? No
big_smile.png

I dont have any cayugas, and I dont hatch eggs either. I do not see why they would...But then, its genetics, who knows?
roll.png
lol

Last edited:
I chopped collard for my ducklings, and threw it in the water. They ate it :)
Also, if you get more than one in, they are more likely to stay in the pool. What I had when mine were little was a tall totebox, so I had to pick them up or they couldnt get in anyway. After they all were in, they settled down and starting doing what ducks do in water :D

Short answer? No :D
I dont have any cayugas, and I dont hatch eggs either. I do not see why they would...But then, its genetics, who knows? :rolleyes:  lol

Just dont start arguing here please...

What about my comment was arguing?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom