The Legbar Thread!

.......I agree is a young cockerel. His comb is going to grow quite a bit more and so are his wattles. I say this as his sickles aren't very apparent. My guess he is around 14 to maybe 16 weeks old. Without a doubt in my mind, his comb will be large. The standard says large, but not overgrown. His comb is also nice due to the spacing of the points and the following seemingly without touching the line of the head. He does not carry enough points to meet the proposed draft in the USA of 6 points. The UK standard indicates 5-7 points, and he may have 4 points. That first bump just doesn't seem to be a clear enough point to count as a fifth but maybe. (anyone else see it this way or otherwise?).

I remember Walt saying that the lack, compared to perfection, of a point on the comb of a rooster in a show would be a 1/2 point deduction out of the 100.

To me he is at an awkward growing stage, and looks a touch stilty, as best as I can "get" what stilty is.

He looks leggy, but although Stilty did come to mind, I think the guy in following link is more my idea what stilty is -- This is a young cockerel in Australia - -I think it is a sliver Legbar (split for gold) BTW.

http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/data/500/First_Legbar_roo.JPG

and this guy-->
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/8-CRESTED-CR...Aw/$(KGrHqV,!k8E+rCZTg-JBQYRvTSgmg~~60_12.JPG

ETA replaced with better link above.

Who may be the poster-child for stilty-ness. However is also at that 'awkward growing out stage'. Looks like he has a sweet personality - kind of reminds me of Abraham Lincoln

Some of the Cream Legbars I see (including one that roams this yard....) have legs that I think are too short. (Scotch Dumpy type legs, IMO)

ww.chickenpictures.co.uk/siteimages/Dumpy.jpg

ETA replaced with better link above.

My apology Scots Dumpy -- should have known better......

Last edited:
An ISA Brown Hen will produce 50% all white (some times with Black Leakage)
and 50% All Black (Some with Red Leakage)

Crossed with a White unicolour, Black or Lav Cock Bird

cross it with a Buff and you get All Buffs
I dont know where you get your numbers from... but you make my day, but I'm glad you are a good hearted guy. while I may sound just plain bad...

I feel like you are Yoda or something. The links you are posting are priceless.

All this time, I had thought that the B&W images were artist conceptions (e.g. pen and ink renditions) of the CL and not photos.
http://www.ias.ac.in/jarch/jgenet/41/1.pdf

These are much clearer than the above link shows the birds....and THANK you for putting these links up. Had never seen the other one either....

For the longest time -- I wanted to know what the originals were like -- and they were there all along (sort of). Thanks x a million!!!!

I am not Yoda I was just suprised that everyone seems to want to get these birds as correct as possible yet the bulk of references are made to genetic articles which are of no use at all if you are trying to visualise.

The essential information that was left is no where to be seen and the fact that people enquire as to where my image was sourced sugests someone did not yet look hard enough.

The image I put up of the CLB is the picture that acompanies the standard in the British standards book 3rd edition (12 years after the standard was written} when it was taken I can not tell you.

The standard I put up is todays

Those of you busy counting spikes realise that standards in uk. us. europe are ideal standards of perfection and I personaly have yet to see an ideal bird of any breed. Type and color make a bird spikes are not worth talking about unless you already fixed the other 2.

Hope this cleared up your doubts Redchicken9

Last edited:
Yes, I know today's standard. I own a copy of the British Poultry Standards, 6th edition, which as I mentioned does not contain a photo of a legbar. It is of value to me to know that the photo was published in an earlier standard. Thank-you for the information.

While I don't spend my time counting points on every bird I see, I was returning a comment of another's on its comb. As I illustrated the combs in my flock are not as near the ideal as the cockerel pictured, but even so I can evaluate this feature or others, and take feedback, such as ChicKat's on stiltiness. She didn't think they look stilty, at least to her at first look. She saw long legs, preferable to her over short. I used the phrase a touch stilty and indicated the bird was young. Am I absolutely right, it doesn't matter. It's not the way I see my role and/or participation. I communicated and I'm content with your response, hers, and my own.

Last edited:
All this time, I had thought that the B&W images were artist conceptions (e.g. pen and ink renditions) of the CL and not photos.
http://www.ias.ac.in/jarch/jgenet/41/1.pdf
I think that the third edition contains illustrations ChicKat, but I'll confirm. We do have a few b/w photographic images from the same time period though, revealing that the illustrations included in the British Poultry Standards 3rd addition are very nicely done.
A gentle note of warning to all, as awesome as these copies are...please don't copy anything directly from copywrite protected works unless their license date has come due. There are others who know the time frames much better than I do, but I think most are 50 to 100 years. If you want to own some of these beautiful historical works, there are still many to be purchased through internet searches, specialty stores, and even easy to find sites like ebay.

Off topic: I just put all 6 of Lucy's tester eggs into lockdown! It's the first time I haven't had any quitters before LD. I can't wait to see who hatches and whether Lucy, as a light gold with silver grey fluff bird, carries cream
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom