The Legbar Thread!

Could be mycoplasma . Best to cull her
That's a pretty far leap. Mycoplasma is not even reportable in PA because it is so prevalent in both commercial and backyard flocks. Ideal hatchery acknowledges that their flocks have MG, yet they are still NPIP and can ship to every state. Commercial flocks regularly treat their MG infected flocks and then sell the meat and eggs (after a certain withholding period). It's really not a big deal that it "Could" be mycoplasma, certainly not worth culling over the possibility.

That's a pretty far leap. Mycoplasma is not even reportable in PA because it is so prevalent in both commercial and backyard flocks. Ideal hatchery acknowledges that their flocks have MG, yet they are still NPIP and can ship to every state. Commercial flocks regularly treat their MG infected flocks and then sell the meat and eggs (after a certain withholding period). It's really not a big deal that it "Could" be mycoplasma, certainly not worth culling over the possibility.

You are correct . Culling is my personal policy and may not be right for everyone . I may even have Mycoplasma in my flock . No symptoms . Which is not unusual . I did cull 2 pullets early in my Legbar flock for showing Mycoplasma symptoms . Tough decision considering what I paid for the first trio . These were my first ones raised from the trio . I have not seen symptoms since .

The only symptoms she has are congestion and open mouth breathing, unless you count the fact that she hasn't laid, but no one is sure this is part of the problem. Since she has had these symptoms for weeks and maybe months, i don't see the point in culling her now. I was hoping for advise as how to treat her, or mostly experience with this sort of problem in this breed. Like any pure bred animal, i was wondering if the Legbar had a certain susceptibility to something that may display these symptoms. When I look at symptoms for Microplasma, they include a host of other problems she is not displaying.

The only symptoms she has are congestion and open mouth breathing, unless you count the fact that she hasn't laid, but no one is sure this is part of the problem. Since she has had these symptoms for weeks and maybe months, i don't see the point in culling her now. I was hoping for advise as how to treat her, or mostly experience with this sort of problem in this breed. Like any pure bred animal, i was wondering if the Legbar had a certain susceptibility to something that may display these symptoms. When I look at symptoms for Microplasma, they include a host of other problems she is not displaying.

Have you ever dewormed her? Sometimes worm overload, especially capillary or gapeworm can mimic respiratory issues... not having any other symptoms related to respiratory makes me wonder if it might not be gapes... contrary to what seems to be commonly posted, gapes are not rare... first thing I would try, if culling is not the way you wish to go, is get a good broad spectrum dewormer and run a course on her... Safeguard 10% liquid for goats or Valbazen 11.6% are both good choices to try... hope she recovers for you...

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I've stumbled upon these birds, and I am falling in love with their blue eggs.

Does anyone know the difference between "Crested Cream Legbar" and "Cream Legbar", or are they both the same thing?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom