The Legbar Thread!

Some time we use the term "Pure" loosely.

If you are doing a lot of test mating to determine the genome of your potential breeders you may start with 10 birds that are full siblings from birds that have a pedigree that goes 10 generation back but as you test for traits a, b, c, and d. You may find that less than half of the birds are pure bred for all four of the desired traits. You made term those that have the desired traits fixed pure and those that aren't as impure. That isn't to say that if someone else were to test made the birds that you tested for a 5th trait that they would call them all "Pure".

If they aren't out crossed from the original imported gene pool then you can call them "pure", but the original gene pool has a lot of things it it that can pop out and produce birds that don't look right so it won't be the same meaning of the term "pure" that the guy that test breed for 5 different traits is talking about. :)

My handsome lil Rambo
IMG_20170517_193044.jpg

Cream Legbar Club

Summer Membership Meeting

Hi everyone! Reminding you of the meeting Saturday morning for all full members, 12:00 noon EDT, 11:00 AM CDT, 10:00 AM MDT, and 9:00 AM PDT depending on your time zones! Please find the links and other pertinent information below!

You have been invited to a join.me online meeting

Join the meeting: https://join.me/creamlegbarclub

On a computer, use any browser. Nothing to download.
On a phone or tablet, launch the join.me app and enter meeting code: creamlegbarclub

Join the audio conference:

Dial a phone number and enter access code, or connect via internet.

By phone:
United States - Atlanta, GA +1.404.801.3225
United States - Camden, DE +1.302.202.5900
United States - Detroit, MI +1.734.746.0035
United States - Hartford, CT +1.860.970.0010
United States - Los Angeles, CA +1.213.226.1066
United States - New York, NY +1.646.307.1990
United States - San Francisco, CA +1.415.655.0381
United States - Tampa, FL +1.813.769.0500
United States - Washington, DC +1.202.602.1295
Access Code 590-638-471#
Other international numbers available

By computer via internet:

Join the meeting, click the phone icon and select 'Call via internet'. A small download might be required.

Cream Legbar Club Meeting

July 15, 2017

Agenda:

· Treasurer’s Report – Kestlyn Penley

· Introduction of Central Region Director – Myron Wilson

· 2016 Cream Legbar Club Online, Virtual Show – Tony Markley

· Road to APA – Kestlyn Penley

· Pre-Qualifier Shows Planned for 2017
  • Eastern Region – Sarah Evenson Merranko
  • Southern Region – Curtis Hale
  • Central Region – Myron Wilson
  • Western Region – Jane Johnson
· SOP Presentation and Comments – Kestlyn Penley

· Other Business
  • New Website and Solicitation of Comments – Jane Johnson
  • Newsletter, Combined Spring and Summer Issues – Kimberly Cook
· Recommendations from the Membership

I showed 9 Legbars last week at the county fair. This was our first showing on this year's grow out group. We are going to take what we learned to start prepping for the Southern Regional Legbar Club meet November 4th in Norman, OK. The big winners last week were the 4-1/2 months old pullets. I though that 6-1/2 month old cockerels that we showed would do better. They had awesome build and are really filling out well. The Pullets were still on the small side but they took Best of Breed, Reserve of Breed, and 3rd place breed trophies.
Winner Pullets - County Fair.jpg

I showed 9 Legbars last week at the county fair. This was our first showing on this year's grow out group. We are going to take what we learned to start prepping for the Southern Regional Legbar Club meet November 4th in Norman, OK. The big winners last week were the 4-1/2 months old pullets. I though that 6-1/2 month old cockerels that we showed would do better. They had awesome build and are really filling out well. The Pullets were still on the small side but they took Best of Breed, Reserve of Breed, and 3rd place breed trophies.View attachment 1133929
Congrats !! :thumbsup

The one month count down to the Canadian Valley Poultry Club Mega Show in Norman, Oklahoma starts today. This is the 2017 Club meet for the Southern Region of the cream legbar club. The entry deadline is October 13th. If you are interested in showing legbar at this show look through the catalog this week and mail in your entry form. There is a $250 award for the exhibitor that brings an exhibit from the furthest. If you have an interest in the egg contest please let me know so the club can reserve a table and set it up. They can do mail in egg entries for the egg contest if there is an interest. The show catalog is at the link below http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/…/mega-show-catalog-final…

Captain Blue Gill.jpg

I some years I have seen a few Legbars with a light blue hue to their ear lobes. I saw the same thing some years in our Breda Gueldre. It would go to white in mature birds though. I had a secret desire to create a breed from the two that had the Andalusian blue plumage, crest of the legbar, volture hocks and feathered feet of the Breda Gueldre, blue eggs of the Legbar, and bright blue earlobes. I did crosses two different years but everything cam out with white earlobes (not a single blue hue). This year I got a cockerel with the Silkie blue lobe coloring under the earlobe fold on one side of the face. The top of the fold is white and the opposite ear lobe is white on both sides of the fold.

Has anyone else seen any blue ear lobes pop out of their legbar pairings? Does anyone one have any experience with breeding for blue ear lobes (i.e. in Silkie crosses or other projects?). I am curiousness on how to improve for blue ear lobes. It is defiantly recessive, but I have seen light blue on both lobes, and now dark blue on the underside of just one lobe. How it this gene expressed and passed?

Last edited:
Update on the Third Annual Cream Legbar Club Online, Virtual Show

So far, I have added 2 cream legbar cocks, 4 cream legbar hens, 7 cream legbar cockerels, and 10 cream legbar pullets to the show albums. I have also added 1 golden crele legbar cock, 2 golden crele legbar pullets, and 1 white legbar pullet to the show albums. Keep the entries coming!
1f642.png
:)

https://www.facebook.com/events/185199888706068/

Back
Top Bottom