The Legbar Thread!

Your chicks are very cute!

My plan was to try one more hatch with my legbars. Today I noticed my hens have all left the legbar rooster and are now keeping company with my Turken rooster. At first I was disappointed, but I decided I can try to hatch their eggs anyway. If they do hatch, I'll know the hens are capable of producing live chicks. If they don't hatch, I'll know there is something wrong with the hens and they will be destined to be egg producers and not breeders. Although the chicks won't be purebreds, they will all be blue egg layers or olive eggers, so not all is lost.

Yeah, if this one pullet's eggs hadn't hatched the next step was going to be to put her in the Marans coop. This was good timing because all the other Legbar pullets are just starting to lay and I expect those will do well because they have more diverse genetics and aren't related to my rooster.

I am new to Cream Legbars. I purchased 2 dozen eggs and hatched them. I kept 3 pellets that are just at point of lay. Should be any day now. The odd thing is I ended up with a "blue" Cream Legbar. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before or heard of it happening before. I breed blue black and splash silliest and blue and black English orpingtons, so I am familiar with how the genes work. She does not appear to be a mix and I saw parent stock of the eggs I purchased and they were all separate from any other breeds.

I am new to Cream Legbars. I purchased 2 dozen eggs and hatched them. I kept 3 pellets that are just at point of lay. Should be any day now. The odd thing is I ended up with a "blue" Cream Legbar. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before or heard of it happening before. I breed blue black and splash silliest and blue and black English orpingtons, so I am familiar with how the genes work. She does not appear to be a mix and I saw parent stock of the eggs I purchased and they were all separate from any other breeds.
She appears to be a mix. Legbars do not carry a blue gene nor is there a blue legbar variety. I would contact the seller to get to the bottom of it.

Last edited:
She appears to be a mix. Legbars are not blue in anyway nor do they carry a blue gene, also there is no blue legbar variety. I would contact the seller to get to the bottom of it.

I am waiting to see what color egg she lays, but when next to our other cream legbars she is identical. Except blue. Nothing about her looks different then a cream Legbar except her color. Very strange. She also auto sexed at hatch.

I am waiting to see what color egg she lays, but when next to our other cream legbars she is identical. Except blue. Nothing about her looks different then a cream Legbar except her color. Very strange. She also auto sexed at hatch.
Do you have more pics of her and your other Legbars that you could post?

Examining her very closely, she looks like she might be half Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. Except if that were the case, she should have a rose comb. It certainly is a mystery.

Examining her very closely, she looks like she might be half Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. Except if that were the case, she should have a rose comb. It certainly is a mystery.
i was thinking the exact same thing as you. It is possible if the BLRW had a single comb which happens on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom