The Legbar Thread!

I know we're not supposed to "count our chickens before they hatch", but I just had to share! I candled my first batch of Jill Rees eggs tonight at 7 days (JR Roo on 4 of my originals and 4 Line D hens, plus Line D Roo on JR hen). 19 out of 20 are fertile and active! WooHoo! I really didn't expect this fertility w/ such young roo's and since its been so dismal and cold (a couple of those eggs sat outside in the nest boxes for most of the day at 39 degrees). 2 weeks to go.... come on babies!!

Does anyone know what to expect from a buff orpington rooster crossed with a cream legbar hen. I have 12 chicks that were an oops. We didn't wait long enough after the orp rooster was with the legbar hens before saving eggs. I believe the pullets should lay green eggs, but I'm not sure what to expect for feather color. If someone has some pictures of this cross I would appreciate you posting them. The little one on the right is a light Sussex, the rest of them are buff orpington x legbar. I'm not sure if the picture is going to show up.

Back
Top Bottom