The Legbar Thread!

OMG! I hatched out a pen of Blue Copper Marans 6 weeks ago and was surprised to see a dark chick w/ a cream head spot. Then "he" started barring. What the heck? So I contacted my breeder source and she said that cuckoo hadn't been present in that color for years and years, so she was stumped. I finally figured it out when I saw his CREST: I alternate free-range days between the Marans and CLB pens. Momma Marans must not hv gone to roost in her pen before I closed it up and was out w/ the CLB's (and the JR roo) the next day!! Here's my first JR chick: a MARANS/CLB HYBRID ROO!!

Thanks kpenley,we found out that all the eggs from the legbars were mixed with buff orpington for about a month. Maybe they'll turn out to be great blue or green egg layers.

Hey everyone! I have some Jill Rees line Legbar cockerels for sale if anyone is interested. I don't have pictures yet, but will be getting some soon.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/949830/jill-rees-line-cream-legbar-cockerels-5-months-old
It is pretty amazing that GFF Jill Rees line cockerels are 19.00/ea at present and the females are 29.00 --- also their website says that they are phasing out the previous lines. I guess those of us that have the 'old lines' really need to hold on to them form genetic diversity.
BTW when the Cream Legbar Club just started we had discussed a pedigree database for the very purpose of maintaining diversity -- and I think I will be starting one so we can keep track of the lines into the future and who has what genetics.

If you have interest and or expertise PM me.

Quote:
It is pretty amazing that GFF Jill Rees line cockerels are 19.00/ea at present and the females are 29.00 --- also their website says that they are phasing out the previous lines. I guess those of us that have the 'old lines' really need to hold on to them form genetic diversity.
BTW when the Cream Legbar Club just started we had discussed a pedigree database for the very purpose of maintaining diversity -- and I think I will be starting one so we can keep track of the lines into the future and who has what genetics.

Yes. It is quite amazing. Thankfully, mine are grown and already breeding. They're quite gorgeous and compared to other lines, much nicer quality. It is not surprising to me that they are only focusing on this line now. I do have several lines of hens from them. I only kept the best looking hens (which ended up with 5 hens out of those lines) and I plan to have 1 pen of pure Jill Rees as well as 1 pen of the other lines hens with a nice Rees roo over them. So, I'd be very interested in diversity.

Quote:

Also, for those interested in some new line cockerels, I'm open to suggestions on price. That's why it says or best offer. I need to sell them as I have too many.

Yes. It is quite amazing. Thankfully, mine are grown and already breeding. They're quite gorgeous and compared to other lines, much nicer quality. It is not surprising to me that they are only focusing on this line now. I do have several lines of hens from them. I only kept the best looking hens (which ended up with 5 hens out of those lines) and I plan to have 1 pen of pure Jill Rees as well as 1 pen of the other lines hens with a nice Rees roo over them. So, I'd be very interested in diversity.
please to be sure to post the development of your lines, and the pros and cons that you see in them!

Picture is worth a thousand words!
caf.gif

My first Jill Rees hatch was today! 100% hatch, 19 out of 19, 8 roos, 11 girls. All the girls are traditional chipmunks except one: she's LIGHT. The roos: a couple light, a couple darker, one "grey-ish". These are crosses: the JR Roo and my original good hens + 4 Line D's, and a Line D roo on 2 JR hens. Unfortunately, I got home from an out-of-town job and ALL had already hatched, so I don't know who is from which pen. This is the most fertile and most vigorous hatch I've ever had! (It appears the outcross was a good idea....). I'm in South TX, I will be going to San Antonio Stock Show and Houston Stock Show (w/ horses and cows, no CLB show, unfortunately!!) if anyone would like me to bring some! (Chickat?). I can also ship chicks (but I REALLY want to grow them out to see how the ultra-light JR's crossed on my more "colorful" stock). Pics to follow in a couple of days..... Yippee!

Back
Top Bottom