The Life of Louie the Rooster ~a story

awesome!
thumbsup.gif
more soon!

Chapter 12

"They're hatching! THEY'RE HATCHING!!!!" Petunia screams from the nesting box.
"Ok, ok," I mutter and stride over. One of the eggs is wiggling and peeping. All of a sudden a small crack appears in the egg.
"A pip!" I smile at her. She's so excited.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes I stop and wonder if I could have had this life with Pumpkin.
I remind myself that that life is gone.
Sometimes I remember the hen that died.
I worry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Petunia frets for hours until the first chick hatches. When she does she is a pretty dark blue.
"Hi Mommy!" She squeaks in delight. "Hi Daddy!" She goes to eat some food and drink some water. Petunia glows with hapiness, and so do I. The second chick is a little black boy, and the third is a splash, another girl. The fourth egg starts to hatch, but it doesn't finish.
"Oh no," Petunia moans, "no no no."
"Our chicks are beautiful," I tell her, and remove the dead chick from the nest. When I come back, the fifth and final egg has hatched into a blue boy.
"Hi Daddy, I hatched all by myself!" He fluffs his feathers proudly, and runs to play with his brother. Petunia gives a happy little sigh. The chicks fall asleep tucked under her wings, one by one until the blue boy is the only one awake. "I wanna sleep with Daddy!" He nestles under my wing, and we sleep until the sun rises again.

Back
Top Bottom