The Middle Tennessee Thread

Hey, Donna... that chick is feathering in white...

And have you ever seen one like this at all?

@DMRippy

No.... not like that. I have seen some with head spots but that was when I had EE in there too. That looks blue but never seen that white back on ANY chicken... strange.

@howfunkyisurchicken I have never used GOLSN. I look there but never posted. If you need someone to help with SG eggs I have a pen of a Black SQ cock and 2 Blue SG hens. I am not hatching right now so all my silkie eggs are available. I have a fun Frizzle pen with a White Frizzle Cockerel and a Reg Gray Silkie (Silver Penciled) over 1 White SG 3 or 4 Silver Penciled Wyandotte bantams, 1 White Amerucana Bantam. I only hatched a few before I had to stop hatching. I have some paints and another Splash x Black SQ pen.

That last lil baby is so cute! It looks like it has a little turtle shell on its back :love

Thanks... it is adorable, just dunno WHAT it is, lol... :D

No.... not like that.  I have seen some with head spots but that was when I had EE in there too.  That looks blue but never seen  that white back on ANY chicken... strange. 

@howfunkyisurchicken
I have never used GOLSN.  I look there but never posted.  If you need someone to help with SG eggs I have a pen of a Black SQ cock and 2 Blue SG hens.  I am not hatching right now so all my silkie eggs are available.  I have a fun Frizzle pen with a White Frizzle Cockerel and a Reg Gray Silkie (Silver Penciled) over 1 White SG 3 or 4 Silver Penciled Wyandotte bantams, 1 White Amerucana Bantam.  I only hatched a few before I had to stop hatching.   I have some paints and another Splash x Black SQ pen. 

It is super strange... and it's from the same pair, the Lav cock and black split hen... I know it's pure, but it looks so different!

My first thought was blue too, but even the rest of the down doesn't really look blue either... guess I'll ask and see if Harry or Jerry has seen anything like it... :confused:

Quote:
I hatched lots that looked more blue too but they always feather in Lavender (maybe just a darker lavender????) But that white back is strange.... Let me know what they say! Are you asking on the Lav thread? If so I will try to follow it and see what they have to say.

I hatched lots that looked more blue too but they always feather in Lavender (maybe just a darker lavender????)  But that white back is strange.... Let me know what they say!  Are you asking on the Lav thread?  If so I will try to follow it and see what they have to say.

Yeah, I figured I'd post there and tag them... hopefully they'll answer, I know they're both usually really great about that...

I did see a similar coloring in some mixed color Araucanas I got a while back... some were supposed to be carrying Lav... had 3 chicks, but it was a much lighter shade than that one... they feathered in pure white... I gotta see if I still have any of those pics...

Now that you mention it even if they didn't hatch yellow but showed a lot of white and lavender they seemed to feather in white.  Might just be expressing BOTH and one is having a hard time showing dominance LOL

I was kinda wondering the same thing... never see anyone breeding whites in with Lavs on purpose, at least... maybe that is why?

Hi neighbor! My farm is at the county line!  I live downtown.  I can tell you what I can't hatch enough of.... Blue egg layers of any kind, Olive eggers and Marans.  They sell like crazy!  Barred rocks (rocks in general).  Anything that is a good layer.  Leghorns sell OK but not great. 

Rare breeds don't sell here.  I can't give them away people just don't want what they don't know.  Eng Orpingtons DON'T SELL!  I got rid of all of them. 

Haha- that's funny. I sold 2 full hatches of mine but the rooster was too big for all my Other birds and I can't house separately all the time. DMRippy is a much larger scale breeder than me and I'm just a backyard hobbyist so Id go with what she says.
1f609.png

I don't get many call for cochins but they are in demand. Rare breeds do well if you are willing to ship....I don't like shipping chicks. I put them on Craigslist. If they don't sell as day olds usually I have to grow them out and sell as pullets but they go like hot cakes when you can sex them. Most people want ready to lay birds. We have a FB page for selling and there are lots of TN FB pages....I post birds there too. Middle TN Chickens if you want to join.

Are you kin to Cindy and Billy live on the river?

golsn.com is another good place to advertise, I sell a lot of birds on there. My Silkies and Sizzles sell well. And now that I've added Showgirls, I have a waiting list for eggs and chicks a mile long. I don't think any of those are even remotely rare, but they're fun. People seem to like the LF Cochins as well, though I don't hatch many of them since I mostly just employ them as brood hens. They don't care for the bantam Cochins in my area though :confused:

:welcome

I have a herd of LF cochins out there that aren't moving fast. They are cute little suckers too.
Production birds at point of lay do great. Buff orps, barred rocks, sex links, etc. People seem to always be looking for marans too. The weirder lines I've tried sell kind of spotty. Sometimes they are hot. Sometimes you get zero bites. Just depends on the time of year.

I think this heat is killing bird sales. Nobody new to chickens wants to build anything in this heat... I don't.

If I don't sell day olds within a few weeks I usually send the roos off and just grow them up and sell the pullets.

@msmeower or anyone else who might know

I had a chick that a broody attacked and actually skinned her back. I would like to see if it is possible to save this little one. I've had some good outcomes with older one with bad wounds.

My question is- What is a systemic antibiotic I can use in her food or water that would be specific to skin?
I'm worried about infection, especially where it transitions from skinned, to not skinned and feathers.

I am cleaning the wound with chlorhexidine daily and keeping it moist with neosporin.

Another question is- Would Silvadene cream be ok in poultry?
I used it on a rooster who had his toe cut off a couple of years ago, but didn't know if one so tiny could tolerate it.

She has some pasting going on, but I thought that is probably because she is so stressed. Otherwise she is eating and drinking and chirping loudly. This happened yesterday afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom