The Middle Tennessee Thread

Hey everyone! I'm in Cheatham County. Can anyone tell me what breeds are in demand around this area? I've had chickens for about 2.5 years now, but have just decided to get into breeding, as well as raising pheasants and quail. I just hatched out Olive Eggers this week, but no one seems to be interested in them. I don't want to raise birds that no one wants and be stuck with more that I can handle or need. Any suggestions?
Hi neighbor! My farm is at the county line! I live downtown. I can tell you what I can't hatch enough of.... Blue egg layers of any kind, Olive eggers and Marans. They sell like crazy! Barred rocks (rocks in general). Anything that is a good layer. Leghorns sell OK but not great.

Rare breeds don't sell here. I can't give them away people just don't want what they don't know. Eng Orpingtons DON'T SELL! I got rid of all of them.

Hi neighbor! My farm is at the county line!  I live downtown.  I can tell you what I can't hatch enough of.... Blue egg layers of any kind, Olive eggers and Marans.  They sell like crazy!  Barred rocks (rocks in general).  Anything that is a good layer.  Leghorns sell OK but not great. 

Rare breeds don't sell here.  I can't give them away people just don't want what they don't know.  Eng Orpingtons DON'T SELL!  I got rid of all of them. 

Thank you! I just hatched OE this week and posted them in 4 different places, but no one was interested. Can you give any advertising tips or where is a good place to post them? And I'm supposed to be getting more FBCM this weekend, which that is what someone asked me for while posting the others. My boyfriend was wanting to get into the super rare breeds, so in glad you said that. Also, someone told me that cochins are in high demand as well. What do you think?

Hi neighbor! My farm is at the county line!  I live downtown.  I can tell you what I can't hatch enough of.... Blue egg layers of any kind, Olive eggers and Marans.  They sell like crazy!  Barred rocks (rocks in general).  Anything that is a good layer.  Leghorns sell OK but not great. 

Rare breeds don't sell here.  I can't give them away people just don't want what they don't know.  Eng Orpingtons DON'T SELL!  I got rid of all of them. 

Thank you! I just hatched OE this week and posted them in 4 different places, but no one was interested. Can you give any advertising tips or where is a good place to post them? And I'm supposed to be getting more FBCM this weekend, which that is what someone asked me for while posting the others. My boyfriend was wanting to get into the super rare breeds, so in glad you said that. Also, someone told me that cochins are in high demand as well. What do you think?

I don't get many call for cochins but they are in demand. Rare breeds do well if you are willing to ship....I don't like shipping chicks. I put them on Craigslist. If they don't sell as day olds usually I have to grow them out and sell as pullets but they go like hot cakes when you can sex them. Most people want ready to lay birds. We have a FB page for selling and there are lots of TN FB pages....I post birds there too. Middle TN Chickens if you want to join.

Are you kin to Cindy and Billy live on the river?

Last edited:
Hey, Donna... that chick is feathering in white...

And have you ever seen one like this at all?

@DMRippy

I don't get many call for cochins but they are in demand. Rare breeds do well if you are willing to ship....I don't like shipping chicks. I put them on Craigslist. If they don't sell as day olds usually I have to grow them out and sell as pullets but they go like hot cakes when you can sex them. Most people want ready to lay birds. We have a FB page for selling and there are lots of TN FB pages....I post birds there too. Middle TN Chickens if you want to join.

Are you kin to Cindy and Billy live on the river?

golsn.com is another good place to advertise, I sell a lot of birds on there. My Silkies and Sizzles sell well. And now that I've added Showgirls, I have a waiting list for eggs and chicks a mile long. I don't think any of those are even remotely rare, but they're fun. People seem to like the LF Cochins as well, though I don't hatch many of them since I mostly just employ them as brood hens. They don't care for the bantam Cochins in my area though :confused:

:welcome

Back
Top Bottom