The Middle Tennessee Thread

I posted the yellow chipmunk on the EE braggers thread and asked if anyone had one that had looked like her and was grown. Someone posted a splash with light red on the back and breast. I'm even more excited now!

I am going to Bonnies this week (not sure what day usually Wednesday but that is not a sure thing yet, So if any body needs me to bring something let me know) I am looking for those big tubs that cattle minerals come it... willing to do some trading. I need just a few for some Blueberry bushes (4 so far but maybe getting another one). I would need to meet at Bonnies or somewhere easy on and off the interstate with a trailer.

I checked with the Manchester TSC when I was up there this weekend, they aren't getting theirs in till early/mid March. The girl I spoke to didn't know what all they had coming, though. Question for y'all. We've finally decided to get some turkeys this year. Never really messed with them aside from helping some family process theirs. We're only wanting a handful to start off with, what would be the best choice for novices? Heritage or Broad Breasted?

I vote Heritage... it's way easy to get attached to them and if you end up not having the heart to process, they won't break down as they get older...

We have Oregon Gray, Narragansett and Bronze... love them... :)

We chose heritage. Depend on exactly what your purposes are for them. If you want some in Spring to be ready by fall, go with broad breasted.

We will have hatching eggs and poults available soon and I'm always interested in trades.
We have Narragansett and Sweet grass. I have a royal palm female, but she will be covered by a male the other two kinds.
Porters isn't shipping much this year. If you keep chickens well, try really stay away from each other and you MUST work then early. Blackhead must be around here. Mine have gotten it last year and this before figured it out. never had turkeys on this property before then. They catch it from chickens who are immune to it.

Oh, that's awful... we don't have it here... I free range mine with chickens and Call ducks and never lost one...

Gapeworm is bad here though... :(

Who need s a co-op????  I have 160 eggs in the hatcher and chicks hatching today... tomorrow and maybe sunday since I kept adding eggs LOL.

I've got 40 Calls hatching next weekend, plus 2 bators full of chicken eggs... I could fill both my cabinets but unless anyone around here wants some gorgeous blue eggers, green eggers or olive eggers I'm not setting much more for a couple weeks til my pens are certain for the sires...

I am going to Bonnies this week (not sure what day usually Wednesday but that is not a sure thing yet, So if any body needs me to bring something let me know) I am looking for those big tubs that cattle minerals come it... willing to do some trading.  I need just a few for some Blueberry bushes (4 so far but maybe getting another one).  I would need to meet at Bonnies or somewhere easy on and off the interstate with a trailer.

Why not use a couple of the plastic 55 gallon drums? They're super easy to cut in half with a sawzall and 1 would give you 2 large tubs...

I am going to Bonnies this week (not sure what day usually Wednesday but that is not a sure thing yet, So if any body needs me to bring something let me know) I am looking for those big tubs that cattle minerals come it... willing to do some trading.  I need just a few for some Blueberry bushes (4 so far but maybe getting another one).  I would need to meet at Bonnies or somewhere easy on and off the interstate with a trailer.

I was hoping that I could do blueberries in a tub. Do you have to have a special kind?

That has accrued to me but I think those tubs are wider and heavier plastic... If I can't find some I will do that.  I am not in a huge hurry as they are in small pots now and I can put them in a litter bucket but wanted to plant them once.

The drums being wider and thicker plastic? Yes, they are... I think the plastic is close to 1/2" thick, lol...

Or there's the 30 gallon ones... those are much skinner than the 55's...

Quote: the 30 gallon is not wide enough. Well the cheapest 55's I have seen are $10. Then there is an issue with the top. The bung holes usually don't have anything in them so I would have to bet something to plug those big holes. I have seen those mineral buckets for $3-5 each.... and it saves me the time of cutting those big ones.

There is a feed store in Dickson Tn that has a 30% chicken feed. I hear everyone's chickens love it and it has mini pellets so quail and other smal foul can eat it

There is a feed store in Dickson Tn that has a 30% chicken feed. I hear everyone's chickens love it and it has mini pellets so quail and other smal foul can eat it

That sounds more like game bird feed and not chicken feed. I don't think that high of protein is good for chickens long term. Game bird feed is like 28% most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom