The Middle Tennessee Thread

Thanks! They did get in more of the French pearls, but I was wanting to get some whites, coral, or lavenders for variety. They don't know if or when they will get any more in.

So my mama had promised to bring me a dozen Bielefelder eggs from a breeder in Louisiana when she comes to visit tomorrow, and she just told me he gave her 3 dozen. I have Marans eggs that are going in the bator as well. Not sure if I have room for all these in my LG!

So my mama had promised to bring me a dozen Bielefelder eggs from a breeder in Louisiana when she comes to visit tomorrow, and she just told me he gave her 3 dozen. I have Marans eggs that are going in the bator as well. Not sure if I have room for all these in my LG!

If you need help with bator space, give me a holler if you want...

I may do that. Trying to convince the old man to buy me a new one for my b-day, then I could run them both. What model did you tell me to look for? I remember it was a HovaBator that's all.

Hovabator Genesis is the best, comes with fan and digital controls... the 1602N I had good luck with too, but it's a still air...

I am going to head to Bonnies Wednesday. If anyone is looking for anything message me. I some ads on CL for pullets but I have eggs too!

So I'm getting started on my new breeding pens and have a question for my fellow Mid Tennesseans. I'm building a 24' x 10' structure and dividing it into 6 units of 4' x 10'. I'm using plain old 1" poultry wire around the top, but the bottom 24" will be done in 1/2" hardware cloth. So here's my question: I want to use hardware cloth to separate the units, but I already have two 'proud' Roos and will likely have a few more before the end of the summer. Do you all think a barrier of hardware cloth 2 feet high, and another 4 feet of chicken wire above that, will be enough to deter them from fighting or being stressed out by one another? Or should I use plywood on the lower half of the dividing walls to completely block them off from one another? I want to keep as much air flow as possible going through there which is why I want your opinions. Given our crazy weather, do you think hardware cloth is worth a try or would a solid barrier between Roos be worth the decreased ventilation?

So I'm getting started on my new breeding pens and have a question for my fellow Mid Tennesseans. I'm building a 24' x 10' structure and dividing it into 6 units of 4' x 10'. I'm using plain old 1" poultry wire around the top, but the bottom 24" will be done in 1/2" hardware cloth. So here's my question: I want to use hardware cloth to separate the units, but I already have two 'proud' Roos and will likely have a few more before the end of the summer. Do you all think a barrier of hardware cloth 2 feet high, and another 4 feet of chicken wire above that, will be enough to deter them from fighting or being stressed out by one another? Or should I use plywood on the lower half of the dividing walls to completely block them off from one another? I want to keep as much air flow as possible going through there which is why I want your opinions. Given our crazy weather, do you think hardware cloth is worth a try or would a solid barrier between Roos be worth the decreased ventilation?

I would skip the hardware cloth in the dividers, use poultry wire and run something like shade cloth/weed barrier/tarp/heavy plastic across the bottom 3 feet... most times if they can't see each other once they get close to each other, they stop... just my opinion though... :D

Back
Top Bottom