The Middle Tennessee Thread

So I'm getting started on my new breeding pens and have a question for my fellow Mid Tennesseans. I'm building a 24' x 10' structure and dividing it into 6 units of 4' x 10'. I'm using plain old 1" poultry wire around the top, but the bottom 24" will be done in 1/2" hardware cloth. So here's my question: I want to use hardware cloth to separate the units, but I already have two 'proud' Roos and will likely have a few more before the end of the summer. Do you all think a barrier of hardware cloth 2 feet high, and another 4 feet of chicken wire above that, will be enough to deter them from fighting or being stressed out by one another? Or should I use plywood on the lower half of the dividing walls to completely block them off from one another? I want to keep as much air flow as possible going through there which is why I want your opinions. Given our crazy weather, do you think hardware cloth is worth a try or would a solid barrier between Roos be worth the decreased ventilation?
For my 2 cents... I would use maybe metal roofing. If they can't see each other your life is going to be easier. After continual repairs to dividers I should take my own advice.....

IMG_1753.JPG Guess I could add pic...

I am going to sell a couple of pens of silkies. I put them up the Middle TN Chicken FB page. Or you can message me. I will put them on CL maybe tomorrow. I am going to Bonnies next week and I could meet you there if that would help.

I am going to sell a couple of pens of silkies. I put them up the Middle TN Chicken FB page. Or you can message me. I will put them on CL maybe tomorrow. I am going to Bonnies next week and I could meet you there if that would help.

Back
Top Bottom