The Middle Tennessee Thread

Next year when there is ice and snow and I say I have gotten a bazillon bales of straw to put down so as not to fall SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!
My pens are a sloggy, ichy, smelly, muddy mess. Have been raking and shoveling heavy, water holding straw out since daylight. May be done by next winter. Guy can't deliver the sand til it dries up. What a mess.

Next year when there is ice and snow and I say I have gotten a bazillon bales of straw to put down so as not to fall SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!
My pens are a sloggy, ichy, smelly, muddy mess. Have been raking and shoveling heavy, water holding straw out since daylight. May be done by next winter. Guy can't deliver the sand til it dries up. What a mess.

I hear ya! I do like pine shavings but they seem to dissolve into the mud pretty quick with this volume of rain and I have to go buy more. Gets expensive for a large area.

I think my pens are so nasty BECAUSE I have added straw and shavings in the past. If you dig down in my original pen there is a layer of organic material that holds water like a sponge. I am slowly excavating it out, but it is a huge pain. Yuck.
If only we could get a few weeks of no rain. :(

I think my pens are so nasty BECAUSE I have added straw and shavings in the past. If you dig down in my original pen there is a layer of organic material that holds water like a sponge. I am slowly excavating it out, but it is a huge pain. Yuck.
If only we could get a few weeks of no rain.
sad.png

If only we could get a few weeks of no rain.
sad.png
Exactly! No more straw for me. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but it was never a good enough idea for the mess I have now. When this stuff dries it gets brick hard. (3 little pigs straw house) I've got 10 tons of construction grade sand ordered. I used it in the hen house last summer and was very pleased. We will see how it does in the runs.

On a brighter note, I just got some non-GMO chicken feed that looks good enough for breakfast cereal. One pen has been having poor egg production and 3 ladies have died with egg binding in the past few weeks. I have been offering supplimental oyster shell, but going to try changing feed. They are free ranging too. All the other pens are producing fine. I just don't know what else to try. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom