The Middle Tennessee Thread

Looking for a good source of organic grower feed for future meat birds! Where can we buy some in middle TN?

Look at Bulk Natural Foods.com. You can order online once a month it will be delivered at some location near you. That's where I get my feed for mine.

Last edited:
Need help with DIY incubator build...anyone using Flex Watt?

Donna, are you still using it? Pros/cons?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/977535/diy-incubator-heat-source-flex-watt-heat-tape

I only have my Hovabator.....I have 100 quail eggs on the way in about 2-4 weeks. Then I couldn't sit on my hands long enought when thespoiledchicken listed her Silkied Ams. I've got to get this project BATOR up and running within the next 2-3 weeks. I have everything ready EXCEPT the heat source and have been real indecisive about that....

I already have an STC1000 and several large, adjustable puter fans...just waiting to be installed!

Anyone with experience with Flex Watt?

Need help with DIY incubator build...anyone using Flex Watt?

Donna, are you still using it? Pros/cons?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/977535/diy-incubator-heat-source-flex-watt-heat-tape

I only have my Hovabator.....I have 100 quail eggs on the way in about 2-4 weeks. Then I couldn't sit on my hands long enought when thespoiledchicken listed her Silkied Ams. I've got to get this project BATOR up and running within the next 2-3 weeks. I have everything ready EXCEPT the heat source and have been real indecisive about that....

I already have an STC1000 and several large, adjustable puter fans...just waiting to be installed!

Anyone with experience with Flex Watt?

I still use it. My bator is HUGE and the 12 inch wide by about about 8 ft is not enough alone to heat the bator. I use a light bulb too. I like the light so I know when it is running too. I use 100 watt in the winter and usually drop to 40 watt in the summer.

I still use it.  My bator is HUGE and the 12 inch wide by about about 8 ft is not enough alone to heat the bator.  I use a light bulb too.  I like the light so I know when it is running too.  I use 100 watt in the winter and usually drop to 40 watt in the summer. 

Awesome, thanks! It must work pretty well to almost heat that big thing you've got. I think I may do the same and go ahead and hook up a light bulb in there, I'll probably use a 25 watt. I can always swap it out for a CFL if that's still too much. But the STC should keep it pretty well regulated, right? That's another thing I'm confused about....where to you keep your thermostat sensor? One of the quail guys says to put that particular sensor near the eggs... What do you do?

Quote:
In the bator it is dangling from the top down about 8 inches.... but still centered on the top. In the hatcher I have 3 drawers and I have it under the middle drawer. you need to figure out where it get an accurate temp at. In my old hatcher it was on the top center too. I usually keep 2 thermometers in each just so I know it is working right.

Looking for a good source of organic grower feed for future meat birds! Where can we buy some in middle TN?
Check with Brian Harville at KNB Jersey Farm. He is starting to do non-GMO feed. I've been getting his layer. I don't know what else he has. He is in Lebanon. 615-504-9139.

Back
Top Bottom