The Middle Tennessee Thread

Quote: well... the short story, my husband bushogged all my berries last year so not taking any chances. I am going to have an in ground garden for the BIGGER stuff like squash and melons. PLUS it is going to be better on my back. I can put the plants on a table and pick without bending over. I also have some little helpers so it may not be a big issue.

If you find anything I should know share LOL. I may have to train some chickens to run the farm and roost with the guinea. I had a stray (yes she was a stray left behind by the neighbors when they moved) that did an awesome job with fly control last year but a hawk killed her in the barn. Not sure how to train chickens to eat bugs in the barn.

My husband always gets a bug to fix or tidy things but usually it turns out to be the wrong ones. Last year he lopped off all my rare black tulips! :he

I just wonder about gardening tips around here because this is my 4th I believe as an adult and so I'm a bit of a newbie. I can definitely share some interesting tips from my book though, I'm really enjoying it!

OK, I have a question.  I have had gardens several times, pretty large gardens too.  Not worried about that, but this will be the FIRST garden with free ranging guinea... do I need to fence it?  I am going to have a garden in buckets so it will be up off the ground, but I am hoping the guinea will just help with pests. So for those of you who garden with birds running around to they ruin your garden?

My Ohiki are absolutely awful about destroying gardens, lol... worst I have ever seen...

The Call ducks are AMAZING though!! Best bug patrol EVER!! And they don't tear up a garden, just aerate the yard and garden, lol...

Last edited:
OK, I have a question.  I have had gardens several times, pretty large gardens too.  Not worried about that, but this will be the FIRST garden with free ranging guinea... do I need to fence it?  I am going to have a garden in buckets so it will be up off the ground, but I am hoping the guinea will just help with pests. So for those of you who garden with birds running around to they ruin your garden?
In our experience, guineas don't tear the foliage up quite as much as the chickens, but still do a fair amount of damage. We put out a huge 1/2 - 3/4 acre main garden and several bedded gardens every year and end up having to keep everything fenced. We finally got fed up with them getting through the "deer mesh" fences and ravaging the gardens that we decided to put hot wires around the main garden, strawberry beds and melon patch. Once one figured out how to squeeze under the bottom the fence was useless. It cost a bit to do, but with as much time and money as we have invested in the gardens, I was willing to try just about anything... Luckily it worked.

Quote: Do you think that with the buckets being what 15 inches up that would help? I am think that they would be reluctant to get in the bucket and dig. They are about as big as the bucket. I do have plenty of fencing I got for free and I am willing to have an area fenced off I needed.

Do you think that with the buckets being what 15 inches up that would help?  I am think that they would be reluctant to get in the bucket and dig. They are about as big as the bucket.   I do have plenty of fencing I got for free and I am willing to have an area fenced off I needed.
It might. The way we have the beds layed out, I wouldn't have thought they would bother them. Unfortunately they seemed to like the challenge, but they were only about 10-12" high. I also grow "project" veggies and herbs in big tubs and the guineas never bothered them. The chickens, however, seemed to think I put them out for them to dust bathe in. I like those big feed buckets with the handles like these.

If you can find some of the extra large ones, they make awesome planters. Just drill a few holes and make sure it allows for proper irrigation. I have some dwarf fig trees coming I'm going to plant in a few of them. The handles are really nice to have when it comes time to bring them into the shop for the winter.

That was one of our patio beds at the beginning of the season last year. That mesh fencing proved useless once the darn birds figured out they could clear it.

Does anyone within around 100 miles of Franklin/Nashville have blue bantam orpingtons or know someone who does? I need one or two for a project. Thanks for any info!

Everyone OK after this morning's storms? No damage here -- just strong wind, rain, and lighting. Thankfully, no power outage either (chicks in the brooder!).

Everyone OK after this morning's storms? No damage here -- just strong wind, rain, and lighting. Thankfully, no power outage either (chicks in the brooder!).
Thankfully yes! 75 eggs in lockdown, 300eggs in the incubator AND THE POWER STAYED ON!

I hope everyone is safe!

Thanks for asking @debid

Back
Top Bottom