The Middle Tennessee Thread

I can't use mash feed in some of my pens. In the summer with the humidity it will not fall and we are having to fight it to get it down to the feeder. I can mix it with pellets to make it work better. My litter bucket feeders are ok for mash feed. Personally I prefer Tuckers feed. It is pork based and much better for chickens than a vegetarian feed. Chickens are not vegetarians... mine don't get to free range to get bugs so it just works much better for me. I also get the 22% even better for the chickens.

Hm. I looked to see who carries Tucker and it appears Edwards is the closest. But the last time I was there, they just had their brand and Purina. And that's all I see on their site. I've been looking for an alternative to the co-op since they switched​ to vegetarian

Hm. I looked to see who carries Tucker and it appears Edwards is the closest. But the last time I was there, they just had their brand and Purina. And that's all I see on their site. I've been looking for an alternative to the co-op since they switched to vegetarian
I bought Tuckers there Thursday. They still have it.

Hm. I looked to see who carries Tucker and it appears Edwards is the closest. But the last time I was there, they just had their brand and Purina. And that's all I see on their site. I've been looking for an alternative to the co-op since they switched to vegetarian
Are you using this link to find dealers? http://tuckermilling.com/find-a-dealer/

Hi. Sorry to jump on the end of a multi year thread but I am hoping you can help. I am in Manchester. I know there is, or was, a place selling chicks that was run at the home of some local veterinarians. I believe it was located in Shelbyville. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the name of the farm. Does anyone here know it?

I have not had chicks for several years now, but my youngest is finally in remission and we are ready! Thanks all for any help.
It's me! Golden Gaits Farm between Shelbyville and Lynchburg....I've got a bunch of chicks and juveniles right now in Polish, Silkie, Bantam Cochin, Buff Orp, New Hampshire Red, Bielefelder, Bresse, Easter Egger/Olive Egger. Also heritage turkey poults and Muscovy ducklings. PM me for more info!
Wendy

I bought Tuckers there Thursday. They still have it.

The last time I was at Edwards was about 7 years ago and I swore I'd never go back. Sigh. Maybe it's time to give them another chance.
You didn't happen to get unmedicated chick feed, did you? This was the issue that I had with Edwards and the reason I haven't gone back in years. They wouldn't sell me unmedicated feed. And that's what I'd need now.

Last edited:
The last time I was at Edwards was about 7 years ago and I swore I'd never go back. Sigh. Maybe it's time to give them another chance.
You didn't happen to get unmedicated chick feed, did you? This was the issue that I had with Edwards and the reason I haven't gone back in years. They wouldn't sell me unmedicated feed. And that's what I'd need now.
I only buy the unmedicated chick starter. They ran out last week, but should have some now. I'm going to try out the non-GMO chick starter from the Smith Co. coop soon though. Give them a call before you come to make sure they have some.

I have not tried their feed yet--but starter should be ground on a 3/16 or 1/4 screen and layer on a 3/8 screen. I know several farmers who swear by Johnnie and if he wasn't sooooo far away I would likely be buying feed from him. I also know that he uses Soy Meal rather than whole roasted soy. Where are you in TN? There are several sources of Non-GMO feed available in middle TN that is not tucker. I personally don't like tucker, but many do. I use the same feed that polyface farms in VA use for my birds. They're working off 30 years of R&D when it comes to feed. I also follow Jeff Mattocks closely. Smith County Co-Op Makes my feed for me but minimum order is a ton. I recently drove through VA on a business trip and picked up my turkey starter from Sunrise farms in stuarts draft VA. Simply stated, I can't use up a ton. Fertrell is tough to come by in middle TN. Johnnie has it, it can be purchased from Greener way in Antioch, TN--but they only order certain times of the year. PM me if you want the full education... Not something I planned to learn but was forced to.
What are the prices of these various non-gmo feeds that are available in Mid-TN? I'm still looking for quality feed for my chickens that isn't crazy expensive.

I've also had friends in other areas tell me they get amish chicken feed for $17/100 lbs! Does anyone know if there are amish in TN, ideally somewhat near Mid-TN that sell chicken feed at similar prices? Any mills that sell direct that have good prices?

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom