The Middle Tennessee Thread

So to give you an idea WHY I drive to Bonnies almost an HOUR away from me. My Co-op sells Free Range for $9.99 and 22% layer for $14.99.... they will not talk to me about buying in bulk (I bought nearly 4k lbs last trip). So I think if you get a ton Bonnie discounts another $.50 a bag. I might cost me $10-12 in gas to get feed from her but at $2.25 a BAG for FR difference if I just get 10 bags that more than makes up the difference in gas.

Anybody else sick of [COLOR=0000FF]RAIN- MUD- YUK AND SLIME? [/COLOR]:barnie

[COLOR=0000FF]I have a bucket outside with about a foot of water in it. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]Trying really hard to remember April showers and May flowers. Not working.[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]Needing Sun [/COLOR]:/

That's what I keep telling myself but DANG my yard is under water :hit

Anybody else sick of [COLOR=0000FF]RAIN- MUD- YUK AND SLIME? [/COLOR]:barnie

[COLOR=0000FF]I have a bucket outside with about a foot of water in it. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]Trying really hard to remember April showers and May flowers. Not working.[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]Needing Sun [/COLOR]:/

:barnie

Even my DUCKS are sick and tired of it!!! :sick

Been raining for 3 days in west TN...blah!

And its quite chilly!

Yeah, drastic temp change... :/

That's what I keep telling myself but DANG my yard is under water :hit

Mine is headed south in the ditch along the road!! :he

But, this soggy weather does accomplish something. It gives us a chance to evaluate the drainage in our pens! Silver lining?

I need to do something about the path to the pens -- ugh. Thank goodness for mud boots.

So, I am really interested in what exactly does everyone use for thermometers in incubators. I purchased 3 Acu-rite indoor/outdoor thermometers last year when hatching. We used the outdoor reading that comes through a cord and dropped it down in through a hole in the top of the incubator. This year I go out to start this process again and 1 is dead and another went outside to the green house. I bought a new incubator with the digital thermometer on top because I tried to glue a styrofoam one and the glue ate it! I had started my incubators ahead of time and it came up to steady temp, so I thought we were good. I then realized that my indoor/outdoor one wasn't reading correctly. I placed the whole thing in the incubator and the indoor temp was 10 degrees off the outdoor temp!!
Needless to say I lost a bunch of eggs, but when we opened the eggs, they all died at different stages, so that makes me think it might be an incubator problem too. No idea, but it works fine as a hatcher so far.

I bought 3 Acu-rite ones that are just indoor. I placed 2 in one incubator and it took 24 hours for them to read the same temp! It also says in the directions that the temps are +/- 4 degrees!!! I emailed the company, but this seems to be the way they are. The one in the incubator (is 2 weeks old) and the face isn't showing right. I think the humidity is getting to them.

So, what do you use?

I also just learned that the special batteries I purchased to go into the special flashlights (that I dislike because they have 3 light settings and when you turn on the light you have to cycle through all of them to get to the ones you want, so think click 6 times), only last for 30 continuous minutes before you have to recharge!

Does this mean I am truly getting old? Why can't they just make things that work? Why would someone make a flashlight that you have to cycle through when I just want to turn it on and off? It could've at least said that in the description.

So, I am really interested in what exactly does everyone use for thermometers in incubators.
I use the $10 Walmart thermometer with humidity and temperature reading that records highs and lows for the past 24 hours. I set it on the top shelf of my cabinet incubator for a few days, then will move it to the top of the hatching tray for a few days. They usually last about a year for me and seem to be accurate and dependable.

@Wasson6Pack I think that is the same type I use in mine. Have used it for years no issues that I know of. Is this a still air? they are notorious for having hot spots.

I don't think this is new to you but make sure you don't have it somewhere that could get hot or cool. Don't put the thermometer near the heat source

As for the flashlight... mine has like 6 setting... HI Med LO Strobe SOS and something else. But once I get it to a setting I can just turn it off and it opens back to what I had it on. Mine is also 600 lumens and will only work well for about 2 or 3 candling before I need to recharge it. That 600 lumens really pulls the juice out of a battery.

So, I am really interested in what exactly does everyone use for thermometers in incubators. I purchased 3 Acu-rite indoor/outdoor thermometers last year when hatching. We used the outdoor reading that comes through a cord and dropped it down in through a hole in the top of the incubator. This year I go out to start this process again and 1 is dead and another went outside to the green house. I bought a new incubator with the digital thermometer on top because I tried to glue a styrofoam one and the glue ate it! I had started my incubators ahead of time and it came up to steady temp, so I thought we were good. I then realized that my indoor/outdoor one wasn't reading correctly. I placed the whole thing in the incubator and the indoor temp was 10 degrees off the outdoor temp!!
Needless to say I lost a bunch of eggs, but when we opened the eggs, they all died at different stages, so that makes me think it might be an incubator problem too. No idea, but it works fine as a hatcher so far.

I bought 3 Acu-rite ones that are just indoor. I placed 2 in one incubator and it took 24 hours for them to read the same temp! It also says in the directions that the temps are +/- 4 degrees!!! I emailed the company, but this seems to be the way they are. The one in the incubator (is 2 weeks old) and the face isn't showing right. I think the humidity is getting to them.

So, what do you use?

I also just learned that the special batteries I purchased to go into the special flashlights (that I dislike because they have 3 light settings and when you turn on the light you have to cycle through all of them to get to the ones you want, so think click 6 times), only last for 30 continuous minutes before you have to recharge!

Does this mean I am truly getting old? Why can't they just make things that work? Why would someone make a flashlight that you have to cycle through when I just want to turn it on and off? It could've at least said that in the description.

I use the one on the right Smaller but functions better than the GQF larger one and less than half the price . It comes with calibration instructions and can be set after calibration .stick it through the Styrofoam anywhere . Walmart sells them in the kitchen section In my cabinets I take a strip of plastic cut from a water jug and hang on the rail .

The hrgroset II is my hygrometer the thermometer is off in it most always. but the hygrometer can set after calibration . It is amazingly accurate .

Reptile thermometer and hygrometers here... when they go, they flatline so easy to tell when they're not correct... and last much, much longer than any others I have used since they're made to sit in controlled temp and humid environments...

Finally, the sun is shining. YEAH!

Anyone out there interested in serama, Japanese bantams, or large crossbreeds?

I'm still looking for someone that has royal palm turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom