the misery of having a lone duckling

Quote:
So now we have 3 ducklings to babysit???
Oh OK, I'll pick them up and sleep with all of them to keep them quiet, but I'm doing it JUST FOR YOU!
lol.png

If they imprint on you they are going to be noisy when you walk away. I hatched two in the classroom several years ago that threw a fit every time I left the room. The teacher in the classroom next door could tell when I walked out. I would put them down on the floor and they would follow me around the classroom. Right now I have a sick duck who is in a Rubbermaid tub inside the house. She wants to be in the same room with me. Last night I watched a movie with her on my lap. I put a towel on my lap and she stood on it an preened for a while, then curled up in my lap and fell asleep. They are pretty social animals. It has to be you or more ducks.... they gotta have somebody. Good luck! I would think that the other ducklings would settle her down soon - or they will all imprint on you. : ) You have to love them.

Try hanging something up in the brooder so it hangs down for the duckling to sit under.

I use this toy. ( when I am too tired to snuggle them in bed with me - )
46956_chicky_momma.jpg

The lone chick/ duck will stand between the legs - thinking its mom...and when the chick moves- the legs do.  Rather than just having a soft toy sitting in a corner- this can give the effect of the toy being alive as it moves.

Some other ideas for things to use..a clean mop head - the rope kind. -  Cut up some rags and tie them into a piece of cardboard so they can dangle down.

If you sleep with them how do you handle the poop? That's another worry stopping me from bringing her into bed with me

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom