The Moonshiner's Chick Chat

Welp, no brooder plate today. I was watching two.
One climbed to as much as you could buy it on Amazon for. Not sure why people bid higher then you could get them elsewhere for but :confused:
The second and later one was small. 10x10 so I'd had had to get at least 2 to do me any good. That's my biggest issue. I'd realistically need 2 or 3 or one of the really big ones. Either way that seems like a lot of $$$ compared to the tried and true light bulb.
But ya it increased a bit towards the end and under the last minute I bid as much as I was willing to go knowing it alone wasn't gonna be enough. Yep got outbid of course.
Damn the luck. I should probably buy an incubator or something.

Welp, no brooder plate today. I was watching two.
One climbed to as much as you could buy it on Amazon for. Not sure why people bid higher then you could get them elsewhere for but :confused:
The second and later one was small. 10x10 so I'd had had to get at least 2 to do me any good. That's my biggest issue. I'd realistically need 2 or 3 or one of the really big ones. Either way that seems like a lot of $$$ compared to the tried and true light bulb.
But ya it increased a bit towards the end and under the last minute I bid as much as I was willing to go knowing it alone wasn't gonna be enough. Yep got outbid of course.
Damn the luck. I should probably buy an incubator or something.
It's auction fever. That's why they out bid what a new one would cost.

Last edited:
It's auction fever. That's why they out bid what a new one would cost.
Bidding is fun. Online isn't near as fun as in real life though. The place that did our chicken auctions also did some outdoor auctions with general crap, tools and one full day of farm related stuff.
I loved it. Got some great deals but I liked bidding. Trying to read people to see what they were thinking, how high they'd go. Trying to show them I'm not messing with you. I'm getting that and you're not gonna bid it up so stop now. All with just a look.
Intimidation comes easy to me :lau

Bidding is fun. Online isn't near as fun as in real life though. The place that did our chicken auctions also did some outdoor auctions with general crap, tools and one full day of farm related stuff.
I loved it. Got some great deals but I liked bidding. Trying to read people to see what they were thinking, how high they'd go. Trying to show them I'm not messing with you. I'm getting that and you're not gonna bid it up so stop now. All with just a look.
We used to go to the sheep and goat auction a lot when I was much younger. I can't understand anything though, so I wouldn't bid, I just liked seeing what came through

There was a few livestock farm auctions we went to here when I was in high school back in the 1990's. We mostly have cattle auctions now.

There was a few livestock farm auctions we went to here when I was in high school back in the 1990's. We mostly have cattle auctions now.
That's what happened to my chicken auctions. They used to do all types of poultry, small animals, goats, sheep, pigs once a month.
Now they quit those all together. Then twice a year they had a big auction outside. One day was tools and motorized stuff. From push mowers, weed eaters to cars. That's actually where I bought my truck from.
The next day was Farm related day. From building materials and fencing all the way up to tractors and stock trailers Etc.
I'm not sure if they're even going to have those again.
All I've seen listed was Horse and Tack once a month and about three Cattle Sales a month.

My first lockdown is tonight. I was expecting to toss quite a few eggs since we had some fairly cold days when I was collecting and being the first of the season I was not into the routine yet and didn't turn them as often as I should. Incubator was running a little low the first 2 days.
Ok I just didn't have my $h!t together, lol. I candle a few but I'll wait till after dark so it'll be easier but from the ones I did check I only saw a few that needed tossed.
My plan was to set no more then 41 a week and maybe as few as 30. I'll just wait till I have a total hatch # and show you a pic. I did go a 🤏 over what I'd planned.

Back
Top Bottom