The Moonshiner's Chick Chat

Tomorrow is first hatch day.
I heard peeping in one hatcher and peeping and bowling in another so it's begun.
Should probably set up a brooder after work.
Excited John Cena GIF by WWE

First hatch 35 chicks.
I figured it wasn't gonna be the best hatch rate and it wasn't.
Next 3 are in the big incubator and I found it unplugged the other day. Estimating it had been for 6 hours. That may affect those hatches.
I've come to the conclusion that these things may actually be in my favor. I'm trying to limit my chicks per hatches but not doing well. If I can't stop setting too many eggs this may be my only hope.
20240410_150736.jpg

First hatch 35 chicks.
Next 3 are in the big incubator and I found it unplugged the other day. Estimating it had been for 6 hours. That may affect those hatches.
I've come to the conclusion that these things may actually be in my favor. I'm trying to limit my chicks per hatches but not doing well. If I can't stop setting too many eggs this may be my only hope.
View attachment 3797471
Every time I set eggs right now we get a terrible storm and lose power for 4 to 6 hours.

First hatch 35 chicks.
View attachment 3797471
Love the white and black one in the middle!

6 hours shouldn't do much harm. I've had some mine make it through 60.

Mottled or blue mottled.
I ran my blue and blue mottled together for a bit thinking at some point I'd test breed and seperate them.
That's not happened yet and might be beyond a chore. Every time I've set up only blue birds I keep getting mottled to. I must have A LOT of carriers.
I hatched a few from a pen without any showing mottling and all are blue or splash. That means thing are gonna get worse with the splash cause it'd be hard to even see mottling that shows on them
I don't want to go with a bunch of pairs and keep track and weed them out but think it's my only way.

Back
Top Bottom