The most indecisive person on BYC strikes again/help me decide what to get

Which of these three breeds should I get?

• Cochin/pekin bantam

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Brahma

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Phoenix

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Cochin (LF)

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Pics

fluffycrow

Chasing broodies
Premium Feather Member
Jan 12, 2023
Attica Greece
OK I promise, this is the last time (for this week) that I'm going to make a similar thread to this. After joining BYC I have completely fallen in love with two breeds. The brahma, and the cochin/pekin bantam. I have already received some recommendations for brahmas, and they seem like an excellent choice for me, BUT..... I finally found a seller of bantam cochins, and who can say no to these guys theyre just way too poofy not to adore! And now I'm a bit conflicted on what to get. If anyone would like helping/having some fun (because at this point it's comical how quickly I change my mind) then say what you think would be the best. My absolute ideal bird would have all these qualities
1. Starts laying and brooding early, ideally I would like to get the birds this year and have my first hatch by the end of summer (the seller sells one month olds so after some quick calculations that means that from I am planning on getting them to the end of summer they would be about six months, and no if anyone is asking, i am not good at math)
2. They should be cold and heat hardy, we have had some rough winters (no snow though, just chilly), and some HOT HOT summers here
3. They should be friendly, not in a cuddly way, but in an unbothered or even curious way
4. They need to be poofy
5. I have got some bossy chickens, so i would like for them to either stand their ground, or for the bantams be fast to be able to escape pecking (this isnt as important for the bantams though, as im planning to keep them in a separete area than the main flock, this is just as a precaution in case one escapes)
I think that is it! Thank you for once again bearing with me!

Bantam cochins are suuuper floofy cute! My brahma is unfortunately a big chicken (in soo many ways) and is a the very bottom of the pecking order... even my tiny silkies are braver than her! She also is a big complainer, screaming whenever I pick her up or she gets scared. That's just my experience with her though, not sure if she's a good example for me to use :rolleyes:

Ah yes I forgot to mention why I even put Phoenix on the poll. Basically, the seller also sells Phoenix, which is a breed I was really interested in, not so much now (I've noticed BYC makes you love the poofy chickens) plus they seem to match most of my expectations

Ah yes I forgot to mention why I even put Phoenix on the poll. Basically, the seller also sells Phoenix, which is a breed I was really interested in, not so much now (I've noticed BYC makes you love the poofy chickens) plus they seem to match most of my expectations
My only thought on Bramas are they are huge birds, I prefer a good smaller breed like Buff orpington.

OK I promise, this is the last time (for this week) that I'm going to make a similar thread to this. After joining BYC I have completely fallen in love with two breeds. The brahma, and the cochin/pekin bantam. I have already received some recommendations for brahmas, and they seem like an excellent choice for me, BUT..... I finally found a seller of bantam cochins, and who can say no to these guys theyre just way too poofy not to adore! And now I'm a bit conflicted on what to get. If anyone would like helping/having some fun (because at this point it's comical how quickly I change my mind) then say what you think would be the best. My absolute ideal bird would have all these qualities
1. Starts laying and brooding early, ideally I would like to get the birds this year and have my first hatch by the end of summer (the seller sells one month olds so after some quick calculations that means that from I am planning on getting them to the end of summer they would be about six months, and no if anyone is asking, i am not good at math)
2. They should be cold and heat hardy, we have had some rough winters (no snow though, just chilly), and some HOT HOT summers here
3. They should be friendly, not in a cuddly way, but in an unbothered or even curious way
4. They need to be poofy
5. I have got some bossy chickens, so i would like for them to either stand their ground, or for the bantams be fast to be able to escape pecking (this isnt as important for the bantams though, as im planning to keep them in a separete area than the main flock, this is just as a precaution in case one escapes)
All of them! :lau:celebrate

4. They need to be poofy
My black frizzle cochin rooster (turned out to be plain feathered) from Meyer hatchery was the most friendly, gentle rooster I've ever seen. He loved to be held and was polite and friendly to his standard sized ladies.

I would totally go for bantam cochins!

My black frizzle cochin rooster (turned out to be plain feathered) from Meyer hatchery was the most friendly, gentle rooster I've ever seen. He loved to be held and was polite and friendly to his standard sized ladies.

I would totally go for bantam cochins!

Yep, that's what I expect from my roosters, my standards are definitely high from my aseel. So yeah, definitely want good roos as well

Back
Top Bottom