THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

A 500 to 1000 word story about a mom and kid/kids, can be about birds or animals. Prize is 24 Java eggs your pick of color, to be shipped in the fall/spring. Is anyone writing for the story contest??
hu.gif
I ask because no one has put a story up for the contest!!!!
hide.gif

[COLOR=000000] A 500 to 1000 word story about a mom and kid/kids, can be about birds or animals. Prize is 24 Java eggs your pick of color, to be shipped in the fall/spring.             Is anyone writing for the story contest?? :confused:     I ask because no one has put a story up for the contest!!!! :oops: [/COLOR]

I have a blog post that might interest you. It was written before chickens but there are pest animals talked about in it. It isn't for the overly sensitive person as an animal does die. Are you interested?

Last edited:
Quote: Sounds like it's time for a second incubator!! I use one as a hatcher and one as an incubator.
I have a quick question for all of you seasoned hatchers - I have the LG still air, with egg turner. Is it better to space the eggs out? Or is it better to have them all near the center?
Move the eggs around, there are zones in the LG and each is not the same. So move in a pattern. Even if you choose to keep all in the center, rotate the middle eggs to the outside of the group of eggs.

I have a lock down question on staggered hatches.

In my mothersday hatch a long incubator I have 12 eggs (Down to 6-7) that are to be put in lock down on the 9th. But, I have another set (started with 18 down to 11) to be on lock down only 5 days later...

My question is. Will the lock down period hurt my other clutch? What should I do to make sure everyone gets the best chance possible? I can switch them to another bator until its their turn for lock down, does that sound like a good idea?
Stressing a little!
barnie.gif

Keeping eggs in a lockdown situation has an effect on the eggs that should be in incubation mode; the lose of moisture from the eggs is slowed, and the eggs are not turned. Turning is especially important in the first week, and less so in the last 2 weeks. However, the overall hatch rate will be decreased when the eggs are not turned. I dry hatch so the eggs are drier going into a situation like this than those eggs incubated at a higher RH.

How you deal with lockdown is also a factor. Do you lockdown and not open for 3 days? THen perhaps you need another incubator. I prefer to pull out chicks and can roll a few eggs and get the RH up again quickly. To open only once a day to turn is better than no turning IMO

RIght now I am faced with exactly this situation. I have eggs I forgot to mark set dates, one is interally pipping at me this morning and I need to put 4 turkey eggs in lock down. So, yes, I am stressing a little, too!
barnie.gif

I'm wondering if my turkeys are a little behind. I added a couple dozen eggs two times during the incubation period. THe temps dropped a little each time.

I think I will keep them on the top, like Yinepu does, just in case. And move them to the hatcher at end of day 26. Will see how this works.
fl.gif

Keeping eggs in a lockdown situation has an effect on the eggs that should be in incubation mode; the lose of moisture from the eggs is slowed, and the eggs are not turned. Turning is especially important in the first week, and less so in the last 2 weeks. However, the overall hatch rate will be decreased when the eggs are not turned. I dry hatch so the eggs are drier going into a situation like this than those eggs incubated at a higher RH.

How you deal with lockdown is also a factor. Do you lockdown and not open for 3 days? THen perhaps you need another incubator. I prefer to pull out chicks and can roll a few eggs and get the RH up again quickly. To open only once a day to turn is better than no turning IMO

RIght now I am faced with exactly this situation. I have eggs I forgot to mark set dates, one is interally pipping at me this morning and I need to put 4 turkey eggs in lock down. So, yes, I am stressing a little, too!
barnie.gif
I have 6 different hatch dates right now in my Reptipro .. May 4th, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th and 20th
the May 4th and 5th eggs have been dropped down a shelf (has a 1 degree drop in temp there from the other shelf) and my humidity is currently at 76%
once the May 4th and 5th eggs are out I'll drop the humidity back down for the next batch (May 7th and 9th ) to have a dry HATCH... meaning I won't add any water at first until I see how they are progressing.. if I do need to add some water I will.. then as soon as they are out I'll drop back down to another dry period.

I've hatched like this alot.. I never worry about opening the bator and turning eggs or checking on pipped eggs.. I just do what I need to do and then move on to the next bator...the main thing I do is to monitor the air cells and then adjust the humidity as needed. which I believe is one of the reasons I find hatching to be so easy

Most people would cringe at this.. but this method works for me.. with this bator.. in no way am I suggesting that everyone else try the same thing
I think the funniest thing to me is that the Reptipro incubator gets a lot of bad reviews because people simply haven't figured out how to make it work for them.. it works great for me.. and is perfect for this way of hatching (which is definitely NOT the normal way to do things) but I still get my normal 90 - 100% hatch rates .. the main thing is to figure out what you can and can not get away with in your bator.. for some people staggered hatches are a nightmare.. but if you pay attention to what the eggs are telling you it makes it so much easier

I'm wondering if my turkeys are a little behind. I added a couple dozen eggs two times during the incubation period. THe temps dropped a little each time.

I think I will keep them on the top, like Yinepu does, just in case. And move them to the hatcher at end of day 26. Will see how this works.
fl.gif
just monitor the air cells for an internal pip.. once you see one, get them moved asap.. then you should be fine!

OK then, here's my story.

Kestrel’s Birth​
The night was dark and silent except for the steady trill of peeper frogs singing love songs in the pond near by. Soft light from the moon showed a cat silhouetted in the doorway from my vantage point in the alleyway. I sat wrapped in layers of sleeping bag and blankets listening to the sound of peaceful chewing and soft snorts and sighs as the horses in the stalls surrounding me dozed or munched hay left over from supper. My mind wandered lazily as I watched the mare in the stall before me, still except for the occasional swish of her tail. A resting point then, as just a few minutes ago she was circling restlessly, snatching an occasional bit of hay as she passed it.

The warm red light in the corner washed her in a rosy glow and I could not help thinking how very beautiful she was, a true golden palomino, her white mane kept long. At 21 years old this would be her last baby; a last ditch effort to replace her 10 year old daughter we had lost the Christmas before last.

The barn itself seemed to hold it’s breath as the mare’s ears flew back and she resumed her circling. A ridge appeared along her belly and I shared a look with my mother sitting in her lawn chair nearby. It was close, we knew. A tricky one, this girl, I had missed her before but this was the third night we had kept vigil. Surely she couldn’t hold it much longer!

With a splash her water broke and she promptly lay down on the deep straw. Tension burned through us as we resisted the urge to leap up, but it wasn’t yet time to get involved. She rose again and resumed circling, the sweat on her neck and flanks blooming dark against her golden hide. I could see at last the tiny feet showing under her tail. When she lay down again I slipped in to make sure all was as it should be. I felt the baby’s slippery nose through the protective membrane resting on its outstretched legs and whispered affirmative to my own anxious mother. I stood back as she began to strain in earnest and we all tensed until at last the shoulders cleared the barrier and I knelt to clear the membrane from the baby’s lolling head.

With a groan the mare expelled the hips and the baby spilled into my lap, the membrane pulling away to reveal a lovely golden foal struggling with its first breath of cool midnight air. I gazed with wonder at this miracle dream come true and locked eyes with my mother as she stroked the sweaty neck of the gasping mare. I’ll never forget the joy we shared, my mother and I, in helping to bring this new filly into the world and we watched with tears of unbearable happiness as the mare rose unsteadily to her feet and began nickering softly to her daughter, welcoming her to the world.

OK then, here's my story.

Kestrel’s Birth​
The night was dark and silent except for the steady trill of peeper frogs singing love songs in the pond near by. Soft light from the moon showed a cat silhouetted in the doorway from my vantage point in the alleyway. I sat wrapped in layers of sleeping bag and blankets listening to the sound of peaceful chewing and soft snorts and sighs as the horses in the stalls surrounding me dozed or munched hay left over from supper. My mind wandered lazily as I watched the mare in the stall before me, still except for the occasional swish of her tail. A resting point then, as just a few minutes ago she was circling restlessly, snatching an occasional bit of hay as she passed it.

The warm red light in the corner washed her in a rosy glow and I could not help thinking how very beautiful she was, a true golden palomino, her white mane kept long. At 21 years old this would be her last baby; a last ditch effort to replace her 10 year old daughter we had lost the Christmas before last.

The barn itself seemed to hold it’s breath as the mare’s ears flew back and she resumed her circling. A ridge appeared along her belly and I shared a look with my mother sitting in her lawn chair nearby. It was close, we knew. A tricky one, this girl, I had missed her before but this was the third night we had kept vigil. Surely she couldn’t hold it much longer!

With a splash her water broke and she promptly lay down on the deep straw. Tension burned through us as we resisted the urge to leap up, but it wasn’t yet time to get involved. She rose again and resumed circling, the sweat on her neck and flanks blooming dark against her golden hide. I could see at last the tiny feet showing under her tail. When she lay down again I slipped in to make sure all was as it should be. I felt the baby’s slippery nose through the protective membrane resting on its outstretched legs and whispered affirmative to my own anxious mother. I stood back as she began to strain in earnest and we all tensed until at last the shoulders cleared the barrier and I knelt to clear the membrane from the baby’s lolling head.

With a groan the mare expelled the hips and the baby spilled into my lap, the membrane pulling away to reveal a lovely golden foal struggling with its first breath of cool midnight air. I gazed with wonder at this miracle dream come true and locked eyes with my mother as she stroked the sweaty neck of the gasping mare. I’ll never forget the joy we shared, my mother and I, in helping to bring this new filly into the world and we watched with tears of unbearable happiness as the mare rose unsteadily to her feet and began nickering softly to her daughter, welcoming her to the world.
WOW! I LOVE THIS STORY!!!!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom