The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Don't think I can truthfully answer that Kassaundra that would give you much to calculate with... as there could be too many variables, but here are some direct answers.

I started with about 50 or so worms and about 100-150 worm eggs, that I had diligently gleaned from our outdoor compost pile during late Spring last year. So there was quite a bit of time when the worms were hatching out and growing to maturity rather than beginning with an actual measurable amount (ounces or pounds). I did keep the vermiculture tub in the utility room where it stays a constant 70 degrees F. so there was no slowdown of growth. I've only harvested the compost twice since beginning with about 19 gallons of prime 'black gold' worm castings, thus far.

Regardig worm harvesting to feed the chickens, I haven't really done that much because we've only had the chickens since mid April. I have doled out several small handfuls of worms for them on occasion as treats, but I feel like I want to do more rearing of the worm population prior to next Winter. I still count many new eggs in among the leaves and food scraps so the population is still on the grow. I have noticed that I seem to have millions (possibly exaggerated) of very small baby worms as well.

So I guess I'm still trying to play it by ear.... Good luck with your vermiculture!
thumbsup.gif
Thanks for the info. mine will be outside so I'll have winter slowdown for sure, but I have space for a huge colony

Hi everyone. I just have to jump in to ask y'all a quick question my youngest members of the flock are now ~10wks old. (Ducks) I had such water problems in my open roofed, dirt floor pen that I totally stopped giving water in the pen about 1.5 wks ago. Now the ducks are locked up for the night without water and I'm a bit worried about my decision as its 80'F even tho the sun is down. Am I doing the wrong thing? At what temperatures would you provide water at night if you do not regularly? Thanks.

my ducks have a house to sleep in but rarely do; preferring to be outside most of the time. That said I have noticed that ducks are much more active at night than chickens are and especially with the heat they might need to have water 24/7. Of course it gets well over 100 around here.

yes. "off with its head" , if its your first time you will probably want to cry, I almost did. just remember your doing the right thing. if its bleeding its probably not going to make it.

This came up with my last broody hatch- not insides out, but the first chick that was pecked by the mama was obviously not going to make it. It died before I had to do anything, but it brought up the possibility of having to cull chicks (which oddly I just hadn't thought of before...). So I'm going to get even more particular... how or with what do you off their heads?

this sounds cruel, I hate even posting about it.

there are 2 easy methods, a chick is pretty delicate and easy to cut. a good sharp knife with sufficient force does the job. don't chop, but make sure you do it in one slice.

another method is to wrap 2 fingers behind the head and pull until the head is removed. if you do this fast and accurate its probably less painful to the chick. also you wont have to worry about the head moving and not finishing the job, and/or cutting yourself.

I have heard of people using garden shears (pruning), I haven't tried it but it does sound like it would work.

there are 2 easy methods, a chick is pretty delicate and easy to cut. a good sharp knife with sufficient force does the job. don't chop, but make sure you do it in one slice.

another method is to wrap 2 fingers behind the head and pull until the head is removed. if you do this fast and accurate its probably less painful to the chick. also you wont have to worry about the head moving and not finishing the job, and/or cutting yourself.

I have heard of people using garden shears (pruning), I haven't tried it but it does sound like it would work.

I know, I don't like talking or thinking about it either. BUT I'd rather be mentally prepared, because then I can set it aside instead of worrying about what I would do in that situation and not having a plan.

I use (really sharp) large limb lopers to dispatch adults. I won't pretend it is THE most humane way to go about it- from all my reading and research it seems pretty clear that cutting the jugular is the least painful for the bird. BUT I think clean, confident head removal is a close second. I can't manage cutting the jugular because I'm too hesitant and unsure about where to cut, no matter how often I see it done. With the large limb lopers (the bypass kind, with one curved side) I can fit the neck into the curved area and then do it quickly and decisively. It's the best I can do at this point.

There are garden shears that are similar to that, only smaller. Or I was thinking kitchen shears.

I know, I don't like talking or thinking about it either. BUT I'd rather be mentally prepared, because then I can set it aside instead of worrying about what I would do in that situation and not having a plan.

I use (really sharp) large limb lopers to dispatch adults. I won't pretend it is THE most humane way to go about it- from all my reading and research it seems pretty clear that cutting the jugular is the least painful for the bird. BUT I think clean, confident head removal is a close second. I can't manage cutting the jugular because I'm too hesitant and unsure about where to cut, no matter how often I see it done. With the large limb lopers (the bypass kind, with one curved side) I can fit the neck into the curved area and then do it quickly and decisively. It's the best I can do at this point.

There are garden shears that are similar to that, only smaller. Or I was thinking kitchen shears.
the ones im talking about are hooked like the lopers, but held by one hand, you want the curved blade i would think. most people call them bypass pruners, but i don't want to confuse anybody with terms. you want a hooked blade that passes the other blade.

for those who havent seen it done, the jugular thing is controversial, the chickens are sedated by turning them upside down and restraining them in funnel like objects. you then use a small knife to cut the jugulars in the neck and let them bleed out. some people say they don't feel a thing because they are sedated, i am not sure as i have seen them come "back to life" when cut. i have never done this method, the person who done it seemed to know what he was doing. but i would hear some birds squawk as/after he cut them. of course the "off with the head" method some will flap their wings for a minute or so afterwards (on large birds) im pretty sure they aren't feeling anything. but i have no room for comparison with myself, as i have never had a cut jugular or my head removed. knock on wood.

No medicated feed won't do a thing for it.

If it was respiratory in nature, you have already exposed your flock them being out in the open. Do not integrate yet, but watch your existing flock closely.

Use some coconut oil in the eye. That is natural, and has awesome healing powers.

With alpacas it's called Fibre - but we think we will get it spun and use it ourselves. I'm not sure how much it will cost us to have it processed, or how much we get out of it in terms of knitting materials, but I'm interested in it :)

my friend might do it do teach you how. :D

BD, congrats on the new chick from gunnar
Quote:
I'll try to get pictures one day of his flock, but it may take awhile as we both seem so incredibly busy much of the time and just see each other occasionally when I go shopping at the local hardware/building supplies where he works. He has a large farm in which he grows potatoes, oats, rye, rapeseed, and sugar beets in addition to his regular job. I meanwhile, have no job except this project of renovating our ancient house (going on 5 years already) plus massive gardening and converting the property into a sustainable 'food forest', with a little time left for my real love which is making sculpture (ceramics & wood).... then even sparer moments here on the net. Lately methinks I've been shirking other areas as I've been sucked into this site.. Not complaining, have you! Anyway, I'll try to get pics of his birds and up here for you as soon as I can...

P.S. American weirdness.....
lau.gif
....to late for that, as the present political scene over there has us 'Mericans' all branded as a bit 'off centered'...
lau.gif
throw in the fact that my sculptural work is more in the surreal genre and I'm sure many wouldn't be surprised if I cut off one ear.

Quote:
An additional note.... Since getting the four (now seven) chickens, I've definitely noticed that it's becoming harder to feed the worms as we don't have much kitchen food scrap available. We were always frugal with left overs and any scraps to begin with and the worms took most of that. Now the chickens are sharing (and are hungrier) in that arena, so I'm finding myself feeding the worms more of the garden trimmings, like chopped up weeds, old leaves, etc.

One thing you could do if you don't mind a little extra expense or can scavenge enough materials is to enclose the bottom and sides of your worm bin with styrofoam sheets (used in construction) and then use an additional sheet that can be put over the surface. That would help insulate from the cold a bit, prolonging/extending their activity.

GOOD LUCK with your colony!

--- rick

ok ill admit it, I am a 250 lb man, and I cried the first time I had to do it. I still don't like to do it.

I have used the knife with one swift movement and it was successful. I've tried breaking the neck and did it all wrong. Culling chicks is hard.. Sad...

Back
Top Bottom