The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Jime, my knowledge is Internet based research, and primarily related to fiber, so that is interesting information. I spin 100% alpaca, it doesn't have memory like wool does, but still makes beautiful yarn.

Brandislee I don't know, he must, I mean he is firmly on store bought eggs, I've been getting farm eggs every chance I get for the last 7 years, when I moved out on my own.

Last edited:
I have heard that the commercial treatment of wool, washing it and such can make it more irritating to some people. Having been in a yarn store, some of the wools are more scratchy feeling than others. Alpaca is very soft. I did not know it was only the baby alpaca though. Learn something new every day.
Makes me itch just thinking about it.

If anyone can pm me with good suggestions of a beginners spinning wheel "cheap" and some sound advice? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks! And also what's the best animal to keep for this purpose (texas heat)

If anyone can pm me with good suggestions of a beginners spinning wheel "cheap" and some sound advice? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks! And also what's the best animal to keep for this purpose (texas heat)
im not sure of what series number it was in, but Foxfire books had instructions on making one from scratch, and how to use it.

I don't spin, although I've thought about it for years, but I've heard that a drop spindle is the easiest and most cost effective way to learn to spin, and it's more compact. It's what I plan to start with if I ever get around to it. Then, if you really like it and want to stick with it, you can drop more $$$ on a good spinning wheel.

Normally what I do is wear cotton under so won't get the alpaca fibber itch but still end up with some that will go numb in a while no body.
If you buy in Peru alpaca cardigans for example will be: pure alpaca itchy and not much body after a while,alpaca/sheep better body and still itchy , baby alpaca extremely soft but not much body.
It is obvious that the stuff you buy in fancy stores are better because of better processing but how can you guaranty that is really pure.
I normally buy from native people to helps as well (that is their income) and they have the raw hand spin thing so you know you have the real thing but will feel more natural as well (itching)now there is people that does not mind the itch form alpaca then they are lucky bow they just have to focus on give the fibber some body (I have seen cotton, silk and sheep mix, maybe there is more I don't know).
The other thing too is considering the wear you give to it in Peru we can use the same thing for year 4 ups so you need something with body, stores in Lima sell the real pure thing at a high price because the costumers will pay for that and will probably use that for a year and later toss it so then it does not matter f it have body or not.
Well I think I say enough in spanish sound better and easy maybe it does not make much sense in english.
In Peru the patter of your cria will be Pinta (witch means paint like a horse)

I use the drop spindle one takes longer but once you get the swing you can watch TV and spindle at the same time I did not buy a wheel because I don't have much to do but I was looking at the Spinolution spinning wheels, goos reviews and lots of options to choose.
Animals:
-I have english angoras and takes lots of time t brush them to keep them nice and not lots of fur to spin you will need lots of them (think more like a bit of fur to mix with something else like is my case)
They get hot in Colorado summer so i shave them and put some air condition for them only have 5.
-Alpacas, Huarcaya teddy bear looking and quality of fibber will change lots , Suri nice fibber but more work and have a point to cut as well so the fibber will not die and people does not seem to like them much.
A plus on the alpacas is they don't need much food, you will need to file their teeth often, I don't have alpacas here but in Peru we have 50 in the farm we use them in the pasture.If you need to improve pasture they are great.You need alpacas, horse and cows (well not for your Zone or mine )but for west and east coast and where you have green grass all year round will be great.
The alpacas here seem to do good with the summer just have fancy poodle cuts.

Back
Top Bottom