The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Suggestion - find the Heritage Large Fowl thread, and look up posts by Robert Blosl and Walt (an APA judge) they are amazing resources. They also *answer* PM! from newbies! It's fabulous. They can run together, but always separate your breeders for a few weeks before collecting hatching eggs to be sure you get pure breeds... :)

Good luck!

Thanks!!!

See how much space they have? Their all under me in this photo squat in the corner. The photo makes this place look smaller than it is.I need to make proper roosts though. I put two in and their not using them yet. And I put in 12 bags of shavings and dont have nearly enough so going to have to buy some more
Ooh. I'm so jealous! :)
Have you called local tree trimmers? We've gotten 2 Cu yds of chippings for free so far, and they are planning on dropping by every time they are in the area until we say 'no mas'! I plan on gifting them with lots of eggs... :)

Anyone know why eggs get spots on them? Once in a great while the big girls had an egg or to with but the last week I've had at least one egg and now 2 girls laying eggs with spots
null_zpse45a1a20.jpg

null_zpsdaf0dfd4.jpg

I understand what makes the color of the egg shells. I was wondering if it meant they had to much or to less of something in their diet?

Anyone know why eggs get spots on them? Once in a great while the big girls had an egg or to with but the last week I've had at least one egg and now 2 girls laying eggs with spots
null_zpse45a1a20.jpg

null_zpsdaf0dfd4.jpg

I understand what makes the color of the egg shells. I was wondering if it meant they had to much or to less of something in their diet?
You might hear all kinds of answers and I have seen it for 35 years..It is normal and will happen from time to time and in some breeds it is normal to have it with every egg.
If you wash the egg and it comes off or get a little lighter it is the tiny little blood vessels in the shell gland that can burst and stain the shell as it is being made..it stays in the shell gland for a long time..close to 18 hours I think.. or a blood vessels that break as it passes threw the cuticle stage.(color)

Ooh. I'm so jealous! :)
Have you called local tree trimmers? We've gotten 2 Cu yds of chippings for free so far, and they are planning on dropping by every time they are in the area until we say 'no mas'! I plan on gifting them with lots of eggs... :)
Ive called around the area and theres no one near. One guy said if I paid him 100$ hed come and chip all the branches and stuff i had in the yard I just dont have anything cut right now

Drat! Around here, as long it's on the way from a job, they'd WAY rather drop it for free in my yard than pay the 80$/ton drop fee at the dump. Which is a racket, 'cause they keep it separate and re-sell it back to the public as garden amendment for good money. Where do they take it where you live? Maybe it's similar, and you could work with the receiving facility?

I called my cooperative extension when I first got turkeys and they were more than happy to share with me facts about my area. Very informative.

Last edited:
null_zpse45a1a20.jpg

null_zpsdaf0dfd4.jpg

Don't know about those spotty ones, but there is clearly something wrong with the hen laying that funny blue egg. You should probably give her to me. :D

Back
Top Bottom