The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

fl.gif

Beautiful! started raised beds. They are going to stir those up for you really nice. You have such a nice place!
Thank you.
big_smile.png
They made me laugh. It was DL taken straight from their barn yet they acted like I had given them something new and yummy. Looking through it for hidden nummies. Sillie clucks.
smile.png

My family have always joked that I can fit more on a half acre than anyone anywhere. I grow vegetables, herbs, fruit, nuts and flowers on just about every square foot and when the dirt runs out I grow things vertically. We get so much rain, raised beds give me extra time to get things going. I will have lettuce, Chinese Cabbage, kale, and peas going in those beds within the next three months. I can harvest something 10 months out of the year. Green onions, Thyme, Parsley, Oregano, beets, and purple carrots are still good but are dwindling . We still have not had a hard freeze nor snow. It could still happen.

I was going to check this out to see if or what anyone might think about worming. I have had chickens now for over 6 years and have never wormed them. They do free range. I have never seen anything or even thought that they might have them. But because I went to the Emergency/medical post to ask about an older hen - she is 4 - with a dirty bottom I have been in an overload of information on worming and that I need to worm them twice a year. I have had a few die over the years but just thought that is was a "natural death type thing. Heat mostly for the older birds. I am at a moment where to tell you the truth I just don't know what to do. I have 40 birds. My husband has cancer and my grand children consume these eggs like crazy. So not really wanting to put into the birds that may be harmful. Any help from some of you would be great. So to worm or not to worm that is the question. Thank you so much.

So I have high hopes. I have 6 viable eggs. They are due in two days. I am a wreck.
Rooting for you!!!
fl.gif

And me too...are they in the bator or w/a broody?

Thank you.
big_smile.png
They made me laugh. It was DL taken straight from their barn yet they acted like I had given them something new and yummy. Looking through it for hidden nummies. Sillie clucks.
smile.png

My family have always joked that I can fit more on a half acre than anyone anywhere. I grow vegetables, herbs, fruit, nuts and flowers on just about every square foot and when the dirt runs out I grow things vertically. We get so much rain, raised beds give me extra time to get things going. I will have lettuce, Chinese Cabbage, kale, and peas going in those beds within the next three months. I can harvest something 10 months out of the year. Green onions, Thyme, Parsley, Oregano, beets, and purple carrots are still good but are dwindling . We still have not had a hard freeze nor snow. It could still happen.
You do a wonderful job!!!!!!

I was going to check this out to see if or what anyone might think about worming. I have had chickens now for over 6 years and have never wormed them. They do free range. I have never seen anything or even thought that they might have them. But because I went to the Emergency/medical post to ask about an older hen - she is 4 - with a dirty bottom I have been in an overload of information on worming and that I need to worm them twice a year. I have had a few die over the years but just thought that is was a "natural death type thing. Heat mostly for the older birds. I am at a moment where to tell you the truth I just don't know what to do. I have 40 birds. My husband has cancer and my grand children consume these eggs like crazy. So not really wanting to put into the birds that may be harmful. Any help from some of you would be great. So to worm or not to worm that is the question. Thank you so much.
Why not try something natural, add ground pumpkin seeds into their feed also cayenne pepper works good as a wormer. I understand squash and cucumber seeds also work as wormers. I've only used pumpkin and cayenne pepper.

Okay. It looks like the tallies are in and I only had one egg hatch out of the 7. I'm scrambling right now trying to find someone w/in driving distance to get a few "hatch-mates" to add to the nest under mom so this little one isn't all by itself. Hopefully some doors will open up here soon.

Today I put a little food in the front of the box and mom called baby to come out. Interesting...those of you who have done this before will know.... the "language" mom uses is quite different depending on what she's communicating. There's definitely a "come out here for some food right now" thing she says.
love.gif

Baby came right out and mom started breaking up some larger pieces of scrambled egg that was mixed in w/the ff I put there for them. It is SO AMAZING to watch this hatchery mom - who didn't have a mom raise her - talking w/this baby and "fixing" food for it so it can eat smaller pieces.

Back
Top Bottom