The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I always thought they had to look like those ones that have bare patches when they molt. The big girls look disheveled and then one day I realize they don't have tail feathers.......oops must be a molt.
null_zpse9dac2d8.jpg

Disheveled feathers

She has a ton of feathers floating around in the coop yet she doesn't look like she is molting
oh man that first one is gorgeous! What breed is it? Is it a RIR?

I always thought they had to look like those ones that have bare patches when they molt. The big girls look disheveled and then one day I realize they don't have tail feathers.......oops must be a molt.
null_zpse9dac2d8.jpg
Disheveled feathers She has a ton of feathers floating around in the coop yet she doesn't look like she is molting
oh man that first one is gorgeous! What breed is it? Is it a RIR?
RIR? Nooooo just a hatchery partridge rock I bought off Craig's list last year, she just turned a year in May. She is my largest of my 4 & the loudest when she is getting ready to lay. Mumsy and bluenose you are making me hungry with your processing pics. :). Mumsy I also have to use shears. Trav- that silkie is gorgeous. I'm not a silkie person but she is stunning. She looks like a model :) And my Edie is always at my feet when I go in the coop to feed them. She knows momma rooster will drop some FF for her on the floor and protect her from the big girls. The irony is she has been roosting next to the big girls the last 2 nights, yet during the day the love to pick on her. I don't get chicken pecking orders lol

I love the chicken chute. I've filed it away for later use when we get other animals. I want a goat so badly but need a barn first. As far as the log blockade (which is also cool) keeping out Maremmas, I am always amazed at the size of holes that dogs can get through if they're really determined. I have a 45lb Blue Heeler who can get through a 7x7 cat door to get at the cat food. Every time I catch him at it I tell him that he has a rat for an ancestor. The chute with the 90 degree corner though....

Back
Top Bottom