The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Yay!  :highfive:

Can you show a photo?  I have long thought that moving water would be worth trying.  If you don't have a photo of yours, can you find something online that is similar?

I wish I could just change my water out a couple times a day like those that don't heat it.  Since I'm at work, I need a different way.

It was similar to this but had a flat back... We glued a funnel on top to keep them from jumping up on it.

To Jockeyeba:   It's really amazing the many different people who raise chickens....If my recollection serves me correctly, Beduino was a Mexican Bred Thoroughbred who was raced against Quarter Horses...Became the most successful QH sire ever around 1983-86...He was foaled in late 1960's and is long gone... He was unusual not for the fact he could beat QH's but that he descended from world champion thoroughbreds who excelled at distance races as well as sprints...His sire line was the Nearco-Nasrullah line on top and I believe Bold Venture and Blenheim in the maternal...There are many outstanding stallions still active that descend from Beduino....Most stand in the Southwest I would guess...Good Luck and take care..

Very true :) he raced in Mexico 1970-1972 What part of the world are you in :frow

I'll bet something could be rigged to wk with solar.  I am going to learn more about that solar freezer so when I talk to that guy, maybe I'll ask him how to make a regular plug-in thing able to run on a solar generator.  Shouldn't be that hard...  But I know NOTHING about electricity.

I don't either but love my solar powered pop door, we get enough sun to run it all winter. My friend sets up solar powered stuff and he is going to help me so the electric netting next year is solar powered. He thinks he could rig up something for the dog bowls also he just needs to do some research. I don't like running power to the coop but it can't be helped, but I am going to put an metal electric outlet box cover in the coop where they will plug in to keep the ends protected from the birds, shavings and snow

I know I'm late with thanking everyone for your help and support with Cecilia. I've been wanting to post a pic but today I spent helping get wood for this winter. We nearly have all we need til spring. Such a comforting thought. Cecilia is going to make it, I believe. She's looking great compared to what she was. I'll try to get a pic in the next couple days. I gave her 5 daily injections of Tylan 50 and really poured on the NuStock. I still don't know if she'll ever have tail feathers again. After working all day and the temps getting so low at night my arthritis and fibro are kicking my butt. Thanks again. sue
Oh, I sold all my turkeys today and got a great price for this area. Now I'm back to just chickens.

Wanted to post a few photos of the new chicken children.

This one I'm sure is full sfh. 2 crested parents which is not particularly a good thing. I had thought I got eggs from the non crested but seem to have been wrong. I prefer non-crested birds...and I sure didn't want to breed "super crests".

Mumsy & Delisha - does this look like a vaulted skull to you?

Wanted to post a few photos of the new chicken children.

x

x

This one I'm sure is full sfh. 2 crested parents which is not particularly a good thing. I had thought I got eggs from the non crested but seem to have been wrong. I prefer non-crested birds...and I sure didn't want to breed "super crests".

Mumsy & Delisha - does this look like a vaulted skull to you?

x
Not to me, it sure is crested though. Cute cute chicks..

chicks.jpg

I bet you can pick out the vaults

Last edited:
I traded my True Black Catdance cockerel for a Buff Sheryl Butler cockerel. He has insane foot feathering. He will be paired with Marsala, MB hen that is lacking in foot feathering. Hoping to throw some nice chicks.

Back
Top Bottom