The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Anyone ever have something kill and eat only hens and leave the roo's dead or not bother the roo's at all. I know I have a big cat around. I have lost 11 buff's and 6 ee's all girls one buff roo that was killed and left .

Del,

What kind of knife do you use for killing? I need a good sharp knife. I accidently ordered a sticking knife instead of the one that I need. I'm sure it would work well for sticking, but I just don't feel comfortable plithing.

I have been using a fish gutting knife, but would like less effort.

I want something like they use in this video, but really can't tell what brand they use.
0.jpg

A friend of mine let me borrow their plucker! Time to process the rest of the meaties. They are driving me crazy at feeding time. The poor juvies can't eat because they inhale it.

I used to work with a woman who was the Director of the region. In making fun of all the male bosses who have beautiful admin assistants; she always shaid she ws looking to hire a "Sven." Svens are buff & sexy. Maybe Rooster Boy is a Sven?

What kind of knife do you use for killing? I need a good sharp knife. I accidently ordered a sticking knife instead of the one that I need. I'm sure it would work well for sticking, but I just don't feel comfortable plithing.

We have a nursery, so we use the budding/grafting knives. We are adept at sharpening them ...

Knives for other parts of the process are borrowed from the kitchen, and don't tend to get as good a sharpening, but we make do.

Are you sure he's running them off and not chasing to mate?

It has nothing to do with breed difference.
Some chickens can spot illness or something not right in other birds.
A cockerel will try to breed anything he can catch. He might be trying to catch and the pullets are not liking that cockerel. My silkie chases the females all day long. I get tired watching him and I am surprised he is not skin and bones. He looks like he is chasing them and he will grab them any where..wings..feet..etc..it looks like he is attacking and the sounds the girls make when he does grab them sound like they are getting attacked. Poor fella needs a pen of girls.

Well, he dances for the older hens that he mates. He dances for his favorite pullets. He ignores the big sulmtalers, they are twice as big as he (all fluff). He takes off like a rocket whenever he sees the white rooster (leghorn x ee) and chases the beejesus out of him, both running at top speed, dodging around obstacles, etc.

Other roos heusuallydoes a little dance, occasionally he might do a half hearted chase, but as soon as the roo is out of sight behind something, he lets it go.

These two pullets? treats them like the white roo - its a chase to the finish. I haven't seen him chase anyone very far to mate. And everytime the pullet runs to safety, which they think is the run and they get under the pines and scrub and I can't see what is happening. I am not thinking mating though, because these two pullets have very pale combs, and he is leaving other immature pullets alone.

sigh.
roosters!

Well, he dances for the older hens that he mates. He dances for his favorite pullets. He ignores the big sulmtalers, they are twice as big as he (all fluff). He takes off like a rocket whenever he sees the white rooster (leghorn x ee) and chases the beejesus out of him, both running at top speed, dodging around obstacles, etc.

Other roos heusuallydoes a little dance, occasionally he might do a half hearted chase, but as soon as the roo is out of sight behind something, he lets it go.

These two pullets? treats them like the white roo - its a chase to the finish. I haven't seen him chase anyone very far to mate. And everytime the pullet runs to safety, which they think is the run and they get under the pines and scrub and I can't see what is happening. I am not thinking mating though, because these two pullets have very pale combs, and he is leaving other immature pullets alone.

sigh.
roosters!

See it could be he finds them very enticing and just wants to mate them. I know a few of my young boys will chase girls to the ends of the earth. The pullets that give in easily get the dance, the ones that run.. well if they catch them, there is no dancing done.

Del,

I have been using a fish gutting knife, but would like less effort.

I want something like they use in this video, but really can't tell what brand they use.
0.jpg

A friend of mine let me borrow their plucker! Time to process the rest of the meaties. They are driving me crazy at feeding time. The poor juvies can't eat because they inhale it.
those are *cold steel* blades. They make them for restaurants and butcher shops..hunters too. They are really nice knives.

I am a Chef..
For Graduation I was given a *Saba*. It is a curved blade and I love it. I also use a hunting knife and Chicago cutlery for boning.
Good knives must not be used on a surface other than cutting surfaces designed for cutting.
It is not so much the knife, it is the steel used and if knives are professionally sharpened. I also use a little knife called the little buck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom