The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

You sure can do this and it will work great!!

One thing i can say about this bird is she has serious stamina...she was very ill.
I suggest you take your next bird that dies into a test lab. This is not simple peritonitis. The cavity would have been filled with liquid too. I honestly think it was something else. Lymphoid Leukosis possibly.

please watch these videos available from the University. It lets you see the how to and what to look fors when doing a necropsy..
I do love to learn and these photos tell a story..thank you again for sharing and allowing us to learn.

http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/veterinarians/avian-necropsy-examination/intro-practical
Delisha! I'm so excited to see these videos. I am starting the series tonight, hope to finish before starting on the rooster butchering this weekend. thanks for sharing the link.

Thank you for the necropsy link. I had no idea such a thing existed. It is an incredible resource. I appreciate it greatly.
You are welcome..most would be surprised that local extension of many Universities and all Agricultural Department in every State has free services. I believe every Agriculture Department in every State offers free Vet services and inspections if you request it and you belong to the State NPIP.

Forgot to say I can not post pics at this time I have no way of doing so.
Just wondering. My mini fridge test run is holding well at 100 almost exactly, added about a cup of water to the bottom drawer, getting 47-53% humidity. Too high. But dry, gets down to well under 20%. Hmm... My old cabinet, which was just 3/4" plywood, dry was 30-35%. It did have some additional 1/4" holes near the bottom. I hate to drill a bunch of holes in the unit, but. Ideas?
Do hope things get better. My chickens are here partly to distract me from the rest of life.

the turkey video was amusing.  They are lovely.  I'm curious at what age does the young Turkey look more like a turkey and not a large chicken.  I've ordered some baby turkeys for DH's surprise birthday present.  I'm wondering how long it will take him to realize they are not chickens.

It took me about one second when I saw my first Surprise Turkey last spring. It was in a box of day-old roosters but was a few days older, maybe a week old the first time I saw it. My former partner and a feed store employee were pulling a prank on me to see if I could figure it out. Two things really stood out ... the drumstick and the little knob on it's nose -- the drumstick made me think Thanksgiving, so I thought turkey right away. Compared to the chicks it was a monster. When I got home I googled baby turkeys and found out about the nose knobs and learned the word poult. :rolleyes: I had to buy it some friends.

Poults don't see very well so they behave very differently than chicks. But maybe heritage turkeys are different. I was new to all poultry at the time.

CoopChick, that was the most disgusting avian autopsy I have ever seen. However, I def want to thank you as that was probably the most informative set of pictures & something I never want to see in my own flock. It has scared me enough to spend even more time watching autopsy videos.

Please do as others have suggested (ie, sending your next dead bird to a vet for autopsy). And as morbid as this sounds, try to watch your current flock with an eye of "Who might be next?" so you can be more aware of the symptoms early on before you have to see something like that one bird again.

Back
Top Bottom