The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I have killed my first chicken accidentally. I can't get it out of my head, and I feel absolutely horrible.

I had a hen with sour crop, and I have been trying to treat her.. I know, I should have made a good time line where I euthanized her, but she was still getting food through her system (pooping) but the crop was not going down as it should have been with yoghurt.

Anyway... I picked her up to massage her crop like I do every time I see her, and she started vomiting. I aspirated her lungs with the crop contents and she died right in front of me. It was 30 seconds. The crop contents were coming out every orifice.

Note.. if you have any issue with sour crop that is chronic: put them down.. If they are just starting the issue and you want to treat, BE CAREFUL how you handle them. NEVER try to get the contents out of the crop.

:( :( My poor poor girl. She was so very friendly. I cried for a good 10 minutes.
hugs.gif

I have killed my first chicken accidentally. I can't get it out of my head, and I feel absolutely horrible.

I had a hen with sour crop, and I have been trying to treat her.. I know, I should have made a good time line where I euthanized her, but she was still getting food through her system (pooping) but the crop was not going down as it should have been with yoghurt.

Anyway... I picked her up to massage her crop like I do every time I see her, and she started vomiting. I aspirated her lungs with the crop contents and she died right in front of me. It was 30 seconds. The crop contents were coming out every orifice.

Note.. if you have any issue with sour crop that is chronic: put them down.. If they are just starting the issue and you want to treat, BE CAREFUL how you handle them. NEVER try to get the contents out of the crop.

:( :( My poor poor girl. She was so very friendly. I cried for a good 10 minutes.
hugs.gif
sorry

ok here's an oddity for you all... my youngest bunch of chicks outside went out... about 10 days ago or so. they've been doing well, I see them outside most days regardless of temps, and I have a 150w heat emitter hanging from their ceiling, about 16" or so above the floor. (stand alone breeding pen with attached 2x2x4 house on one end...)

anyways, went out today, and there's one chick that looked like he was looking closely at something on the ground... you know how they focus one eye on something, and stare at it? well this guy's walking around with his head on 90 degrees sideways, one eye looing straight up one straight down. put his face in front of the FF when I brought him inside to observe him and he's eating and drinking just fine, but walking circles and not straightening his head up much.

and actually, taking pics, he sometimes tilted even further upside down... even when flapping. I turned him over to check for any injuries, and he just tucked his head and closed his eyes...

I've had wry-necked chicks at hatch, but never one develop at 6-8 weeks old.

any suggestions what this is or what to do for it? this is not a 'keeper' chick, but could still be a nice backyard pet (bantam cochin)

Last edited:
there's always the crockpot...
wink.png

ok here's an oddity for you all... my youngest bunch of chicks outside went out... about 10 days ago or so. they've been doing well, I see them outside most days regardless of temps, and I have a 150w heat emitter hanging from their ceiling, about 16" or so above the floor. (stand alone breeding pen with attached 2x2x4 house on one end...)

anyways, went out today, and there's one chick that looked like he was looking closely at something on the ground... you know how they focus one eye on something, and stare at it? well this guy's walking around with his head on 90 degrees sideways, one eye looing straight up one straight down. put his face in front of the FF when I brought him inside to observe him and he's eating and drinking just fine, but walking circles and not straightening his head up much.

and actually, taking pics, he sometimes tilted even further upside down... even when flapping. I turned him over to check for any injuries, and he just tucked his head and closed his eyes...

I've had wry-necked chicks at hatch, but never one develop at 6-8 weeks old.

any suggestions what this is or what to do for it? this is not a 'keeper' chick, but could still be a nice backyard pet (bantam cochin)

I've never had them hatch with it, and have had a few develop it (silkies only). I found they grew out of it.. mostly. I did change a lightbulb in their pen. It was a spiral bulb prior and i hear they give off fumes.. I am wondering if that is what caused my issue, because when I replaced it and did nothing else except ensure they ate, they got better... Mine were around 12-18 weeks when the wry neck showed up. I had two of them with it.

May not be your issue but it couldn't hurt to add some thiamin to the feed. Raw liver, Brewers Yeast are some natural sources.

Polyneuritis may be seen in mature birds ~3 wk after they are fed a thiamine-deficient diet. As the deficiency progresses, birds may sit on flexed legs and draw back their heads in a star-gazing position. Retraction of the head is due to paralysis of the anterior neck muscles. Soon after this stage, chickens lose the ability to stand or sit upright and topple to the floor, where they may lie with heads still retracted. Thiamine deficiency may also lead to a decrease in body temperature and respiratory rate. Testicular degeneration may be noted, and the heart may show slight atrophy. Birds consuming a thiamine-deficient diet soon show severe anorexia. They lose all interest in feed and will not resume eating unless given thiamine. If a severe deficiency has developed, thiamine must be force-fed or injected to induce the chickens to resume eating.

Thiamine deficiency is most common when poorly processed fish meals are used, because they contain thiaminase enzyme. In such situations, adding extra thiamine may be ineffective. In regular diets, deficiency is prevented by supplements of thiamine at 4 mg/kg.

Last edited:
Ki4got I have no ideas on what is the chicks problem but I think I rme!ever wry neck is a vitamin deficiency? The pictures certainly explain/show his problem. (He does look cute with his read turned like that- like he's saying...what's up?) sorry I know it's not a good thing.......

Finished the flock block holder. That sucker cold hold cement blocks I think lol. But the flock block is 25 pounds so I wanted to make sure its sturdy. I hung it in the coop and put the chunk of flock block that's almost gone in the holder for now.

I made it out of ion wood that's insect proof & won't rot. Well except the 2x4s. The lid is because I know someone will want to perch on top of it.......at least this way they don't poop on the block itself lol

Sam, our Old English Sheepdog, brought this little guy up on the deck for us as a gift tonight. As an upside-- we got to watch him play dead and then finally get up and walk a little with the kids. They LOVED watching him. At this point my husband put him outside the fence. The chickens have a very secure run and coop as long as I am diligent to shut it up at dusk. I am not concerned with this little guy since I haven't seen him out during the day at all-- or near the chickens or the coop. If I have any problems with him he will go for a long long ride. I was just pleased that my sheepdog was doing his job.... I am sure they probably met at the compost pile since I am most certain that both of them frequent it to see if there is anything good left over!
lau.gif

Karen:
Another nutrient-related thing I found on the neck issue:

Quote: From: Chicken Health for Dummies pp 131, 132, 156
For educational purposes only. No Copyright infringement intended.

ETA: Can also read about vitamin E deficiency here:http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

It is very important that the vitamin E be in a stable fat carrier and that fats in the feed are not rancid. Remember that the fats begin to deteriorate (oxidize/go rancid) as soon as the grains are ground, cracked or broken - which is one reason that feeding very fresh feed is important.

For those that make their own feed, try not to grind more than you will use in a 2 week or so period of time to avoid deteriorated fats. If you purchase feed from the shelf try to find a source that is no more than a month old before it is all used.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom