The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Quote:
I'm not so much looking for a climber, as I don't want it taking over the entire coop, but something the chickens would nibble on thru the wire as it grows... looking nice while doing it is a plus. I guess perennial isn't essential, but would be nice.

if you look at the pens, the plants would be caged at the front of the pen, so I don't want something that blocks the door (climbing) and since id be filling the water pans from that side too, ...

shade isn't an issue either, since it is roofed and also shaded by trees for half the day (or more). and the pens to the right will get even less direct sunlight than the ones on the left (the pen is essentially going east-west with doors facing north. the second half will share the back wall of this one with doors facing south, and will get more direct sunlight in the winter but still shaded plenty in summer.

I'm looking at this more from a nutritional/boredom standpoint than aesthetic, I guess. I could just plant things that are tasty and grow quickly... like nasturtiums, grasses, whatever.

just occurred to me, red clover would probably be a good choice too, but will it grow in shaded areas?

Last edited:
Spinach is a good choice for planting in your type of climate. It can grow with the grasses and the birds will eat it threw the fence. You can add a few Oregano seeds..Comfry is always a good choice to plant close to chickens.

Spinach is a good choice for planting in your type of climate. It can grow with the grasses and the birds will eat it threw the fence. You can add a few Oregano seeds..Comfry is always a good choice to plant close to chickens.

what are comfrey and oregano good for? besides being tasty for people too...

I'm not so much looking for a climber, as I don't want it taking over the entire coop, but something the chickens would nibble on thru the wire as it grows... looking nice while doing it is a plus. I guess perennial isn't essential, but would be nice.

if you look at the pens, the plants would be caged at the front of the pen, so I don't want something that blocks the door (climbing) and since id be filling the water pans from that side too, ...

shade isn't an issue either, since it is roofed and also shaded by trees for half the day (or more). and the pens to the right will get even less direct sunlight than the ones on the left (the pen is essentially going east-west with doors facing north. the second half will share the back wall of this one with doors facing south, and will get more direct sunlight in the winter but still shaded plenty in summer.

I'm looking at this more from a nutritional/boredom standpoint than aesthetic, I guess. I could just plant things that are tasty and grow quickly... like nasturtiums, grasses, whatever.

just occurred to me, red clover would probably be a good choice too, but will it grow in shaded areas?

You're going to have a harder time finding plants that will do well with less than 6 hours of full sun per day. Choices dwindle rapidly with less than 6 hours of full sun.

Hi, I read here every day, and almost never post because I don't know that much about chickens, but I do know something about plants. So I am posting now.
Morning glory seeds are poisonous, as are some lilies. You might be careful what you plant around chickens.
Runner beans climb fast like morning glories and the chickens can eat the seeds. Buckwheat grows fast and the flowers are great for bees.
I have both in my chickens areas along w/ several other "poisonous" plants the chickens have never bothered any of them. That being said my chickens don't live in a run of dirt and have no other plant options to pick at, they have plenty of choices and choose the "non poisonous" ones to nibble at.

And morning glories seeds are not actually poison they are hallucinogenic.

Ok fellow BYCers here is a weird question.............

Anyone have owls near them? DO they who...who at night? Why I ask is because I have heard several nights after dark someone Who..whoing while I was out at the coop. And it seems close.......there are no barns near us. But I have a dozen pine trees on my property & some woods behind me so I wonder if its in there nesting?

I live in town so it seems kind of weird to hear them. Usually we here morning doves but they havent come back this spring yet & we only hear them during the day and I have never heard them at night.

Thoughts??
yes they "Who- WHOOOO" at night.... often mates will communicate back and forth with one another. One's call is distinctively higher than the others (but I can't remember which way!) Some owls screech... Great Horned Owls make the who-whooooo noise. They are fierce predators, will walk the ground to get to their prey and typically hunt at dusk and/or night-- except when food is scarce you might see them more! Good Luck-- they are predators to chickens!

Am I right that owls will take out hawks if they have the chance?

Maybe the owls are around because you have the hawks around. So if the owls scare the hawks away, and the chickens are locked inside at night...that might just be a win-win situation.
Owls like to nest in holes in trees and also in large nests (like hawk nests) that are abandoned.

Back
Top Bottom