The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

My wellsummer had bad bumblefoot on one foot. I soaked her, wrapped her, but never cut. she even had a bump appear on the top of her foot. Unfortunately, during that time(last summer_) we had tons of rain and the coop was surrounded by water. for them to get out they had to wade thru water. was hard to keep it dry, tried vet wrap with duct tape over it. I finally gave up and a year later, she is fine, the swelling on the top of ft disappeared on its own. i am sure she has a spot on bottom of foot, but I do not care

Hi everyone I've been following this thread off and on for a while now. I decided to join the conversation by talking about something that I've been wanting to do for quite a while now. Ok so I got some chicks for free from a local county fair that I was at. I was showing in 4-h but I'm in FFA as well. They are from Murray McMurray hatchery, and it was some type of layer package I'm thinking its the rainbow layers package? They didn't know. Based on research I think I have discovered what some of them are. So far I think I have Pioneers (not a real breed its for mainly meat but can be layers as well) some barred rocks and some Rohde Island reds maybe, and maybe an Americana/EE. Theres more just not sure yet. Anyways I was thinking well I've raised chicks a lot, but I really wanted to raise them as naturally as I could. But sadly where I live you cant buy like a mix of feed that's organic, unless I drive 3ish hours!
rant.gif
So Im going to have to use the typical chick feed but I was just wondering if you guys had any input on how I can raise them in a more natural way? They are vaccinated to cocci and mareks so I guess that isn't very natural either but cant do anything about that either. And I know the best way would be to have a mother raise them as well but cant do that either. Anyways I was just wondering if you guys have any suggestions? thanks so much! BTW here are pics of the little ones as of 2 days ago......

Last edited:
I hope you folks don't mind me visiting and even commenting on this thread. So much of what I read is very interesting and could well play a part in the way I work with my flocks but much of the natural worming scares the hell out of me.

All of my flocks (except the recent capons) are due their follow-up worming Monday and I would love to use something natural but I do what comes second best ...to me. I use Valbazen because it works for a fact and I wouldn't be afraid to use the drug on myself if my condition required.
sickbyc.gif

While we boil the eggs and feed most of them to the chickens, If we want a couple eggs for breakfast or a quick sandwich, we fry them up and gobble them down. I know...most folks say don't feed the eggs back to the chickens, much less eat them myself but it works for me.

I do know that my grand ma poured stuff down my throat when I was too small to out run her that is far more dangerous than Valbazen.

Hey Turk, I've not used Valbezen because I haven't bought it. I do have a lot of garlic and I'm using that.
lau.gif
The same with Corid. I bought a bottle of it and still have not cracked the lid. BeeKissed said I should never have to open it.. Of course with fermenting my feed the birds are healthy and I haven't had any illnesses. I can't get my hands on any of them to do any mite control. Waiting to start a fire and get some ashes. I do have Oxine but haven't used it much yet.

You know I have to are. I stopped buying antibacterial soap. Just dawn dish soap and regular hand soap. I've some natural home made bar soaps I'm going to try for me as well. Right now I use baby soap since it has a lot less chemicals in it. The fancy ones make me itch. Same with laundry soap. I use plain gain. And this fall I make going to make my own to try. I ven bought soap up in canada that's shampoo/conditioner soap for your hair. And for cleaners around the house I use homemade citrus with vinegar to clean. Safer for me and my critters.

I've learned not only are they cheaper they actually work BETTER
(Just my 2 cents tho)

I found a sale and bought 7 bars of Fels Naptha. Guess what I'm making everybody for Christmas?
lau.gif

Hi everyone I've been following this thread off and on for a while now. I decided to join the conversation by talking about something that I've been wanting to do for quite a while now. Ok so I got some chicks for free from a local county fair that I was at. I was showing in 4-h but I'm in FFA as well. They are from Murray McMurray hatchery, and it was some type of layer package I'm thinking its the rainbow layers package? They didn't know. Based on research I think I have discovered what some of them are. So far I think I have Pioneers (not a real breed its for mainly meat but can be layers as well) some barred rocks and some Rohde Island reds maybe, and maybe an Americana/EE. Theres more just not sure yet. Anyways I was thinking well I've raised chicks a lot, but I really wanted to raise them as naturally as I could. But sadly where I live you cant buy like a mix of feed that's organic, unless I drive 3ish hours!
rant.gif
So Im going to have to use the typical chick feed but I was just wondering if you guys had any input on how I can raise them in a more natural way? They are vaccinated to cocci and mareks so I guess that isn't very natural either but cant do anything about that either. And I know the best way would be to have a mother raise them as well but cant do that either. guys have any Anyways I was just wondering if you suggestions? thanks so much! BTW here are pics of the little ones as of 2 days ago......

Why, yes, yes I do. This is what I'm going to do. The lady in the video took this last March when it was cold. I'm south so will not get the blasting snow but we will have a bad winter I'm told. I'll be doing this after the first week or two. There is a thread on here about a pseudo brooder

Thank you, everyone, for all your bumble foot and chicken wrangling advice! I'm thinking of going over and giving her a hand on the weekend with him.

So I went back when I got home and all the grain was eaten and the area all scratched up with a few feathers. Didn't go in the trap but I didn't really expect her to. Spent another hour in the woods looking for either her or a spot she roosts. There was tons of sign, feathers, scratched up spots and poop but no chicken.

:D Buuuut...I guess she was sick of life in the wild or maybe some food reminded her of the good old days because she was hiding in a nest box in the coop when I went to lock up! I counted over and over thinking maybe I lost my mind but yep we are definitely back up one bird.

Missing tons of feathers, skinny, terrified and has multiple puncture wounds and scratches at varying stages of healing but wow! Cannot believe a chicken could make it that long out there. Now she deserves a name to fit her survivor attitude...and some extra treats and love!

Last edited:
Quote: Thanks LindaB220, I'm not sure about the hoop house because of how COLD it gets here sometimes and because of all the predators we have here. I'm also a little apprehensive about the fermented feed, because of the fact that I'm afraid It will mold. Also doesn't it have to be hot to ferment feed? Excuse my ignorance lol I would like to learn more about fermented feed though? If you or anyone else could help me with that information? thanks so much. But I will see what I can incorporate from the video
smile.png
Thank you

Thank you, everyone, for all your bumble foot and chicken wrangling advice! I'm thinking of going over and giving her a hand on the weekend with him.

So I went back when I got home and all the grain was eaten and the area all scratched up with a few feathers. Didn't go in the trap but I didn't really expect her to. Spent another hour in the woods looking for either her or a spot she roosts. There was tons of sign, feathers, scratched up spots and poop but no chicken.

big_smile.png
Buuuut...I guess she was sick of life in the wild or maybe some food reminded her of the good old days because she was hiding in a nest box in the coop when I went to lock up! I counted over and over thinking maybe I lost my mind but yep we are definitely back up one bird.

Missing tons of feathers, skinny, terrified and has multiple puncture wounds and scratches at varying stages of healing but wow! Cannot believe a chicken could make it that long out there. Now she deserves a name to fit her survivor attitude...and some extra treats and love!

Yay!
wee.gif
That is such wonderful news! I'm glad she remembered home and decided it was better than the free ranging life of a wild bird. Hopefully she'll calm down fairly quickly and the other girls won't pick on her too much for being "new"

Get some pictures when you can, ok? I'd LOVE to see her.

Thanks LindaB220, I'm not sure about the hoop house because of how COLD it gets here sometimes and because of all the predators we have here. I'm also a little apprehensive about the fermented feed, because of the fact that I'm afraid It will mold. Also doesn't it have to be hot to ferment feed? Excuse my ignorance lol I would like to learn more about fermented feed though? If you or anyone else could help me with that information? thanks so much. But I will see what I can incorporate from the video
smile.png
Thank you
There is a thread on BYC ... fermented feed for meat birds or some such title. It has expanded to all domesticated fowl (along with some non-fowl species) It's easy and if you do it right, it won't mold. You can probably find the correct link, if you want, by going to my profile and scrolling down down down til you find it. I haven't been on it in forever but I can never get things off my profile page so its there somewhere.

big_smile.png
Buuuut...I guess she was sick of life in the wild or maybe some food reminded her of the good old days because she was hiding in a nest box in the coop when I went to lock up! I counted over and over thinking maybe I lost my mind but yep we are definitely back up one bird.

You could call her "Phoenix" ...

rant.gif
So Im going to have to use the typical chick feed but I was just wondering if you guys had any input on how I can raise them in a more natural way? They are vaccinated to cocci and mareks so I guess that isn't very natural either but cant do anything about that either. And I know the best way would be to have a mother raise them as well but cant do that either. Anyways I was just wondering if you guys have any suggestions? thanks so much! BTW here are pics of the little ones as of 2 days ago......

Welcome !!!! I know others on here have made a *mom* for their chicks using feather dusters, pieces of felt in a bucket, etc to make the chics feel more secure & stay warm. I would also put plugs of dirt/grass from your yard in with them so they can build up their immune system. They also love to dig thru it for yummy bugs.

I use grains for my chickens. They are not GMO free or anything just what I can get from the local feed store. I buy them in 50# bags then mic them at home then ferment them. A 100# batch last me months especially during the summer when I only feed them once a day.

You could also start deep litter in their coop. You just keep adding fresh litter then stir it up. It breaks down into a beautiful mulch mixture that a lot of us use in our gardens. I also add weeds, leaves, grass clippings, wood sawdust......whatever plant matter I can find free :)

Back
Top Bottom