The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Hi,
I have a pretty basic question that may have been covered already, but I can't comb through all the pages of this thread or find anything on a search. I would like to use the deep litter method in my coop--it is working well in the brooder so far. However the coop will be a raised box (The Garden Coop) versus a walk-in. We can cut the door higher than the plans specify, but I'm wondering if it's advisable to use this method when the birds are sleeping so close to the floor with less total volume of air space. Is there more ammonia while the poo is breaking down? Thanks!

@armorfirelady
I wanted to do the same thing with mine. But when I researched and talked to people that seemed to know what they were talking about, I was told that I would have to have several batteries that would be pretty expensive to produce enough to keep it running all night. Even with the low wattage I run.

So I gave up the idea because the initial investment seemed like it was way too much for the purpose I'd be using it for.

Now...I'd love to hear if it will work for a reasonable price as I'd do it in a heartbeat if it was feesible.

Hi,
I have a pretty basic question that may have been covered already, but I can't comb through all the pages of this thread or find anything on a search. I would like to use the deep litter method in my coop--it is working well in the brooder so far. However the coop will be a raised box (The Garden Coop) versus a walk-in. We can cut the door higher than the plans specify, but I'm wondering if it's advisable to use this method when the birds are sleeping so close to the floor with less total volume of air space. Is there more ammonia while the poo is breaking down? Thanks! 

Hi!
I built the garden coop and did deep litter in the run section only. In the coop I just put an inch of PDZ and scooped the poop out every couple of days with a long handled kitty litter scoop and tossed it in the compost pile.

The PDZ also absorbs moisture and ammonia so there was no smell with my 5 hens. We built an extra section to the run so they would have more room. I was in a hot climate then, so they spent almost all their time in the run, or running around the back yard in the evenings.

I loved the garden coop at my old house!

Thanks Friday. We are doing the same thing with our coop--adding a section. We can only free range when we're outside to supervise because of the predator situation here, so they will need to be happy in their pen. I will look into the PDZ. Sounds like a great, low maintenance, low waste option.

Sweet PDZ is literally a life saver here in West Texas. Especially during the Summer months when it gets hot and sticky with humidity. It neutralizes the ammonia that would otherwise be making the birds sick...or dead. IT really is not that expensive and a little goes a long way. I sprinkle it on the floor when I clean the coops and cover with straw.

Anyone here familiar with Noni Plant? I just discovered we have it in our backyard. It is popular in Hawaii. Here is the picture:

@armorfirelady
I wanted to do the same thing with mine. But when I researched and talked to people that seemed to know what they were talking about, I was told that I would have to have several batteries that would be pretty expensive to produce enough to keep it running all night. Even with the low wattage I run.

So I gave up the idea because the initial investment seemed like it was way too much for the purpose I'd be using it for.

Now...I'd love to hear if it will work for a reasonable price as I'd do it in a heartbeat if it was feesible.

I can't see where more than one deep-cycle battery would be required to run a heated dog dish. The bowls generally draw only 25 watts, and if they're the type that runs continually no matter what, they should be put on a ThermoCube (the ThermoCube acts like a thermostat to cycle them on and off as needed). Deep cycle batteries come in a wide range of prices and capacities (amp hours), but generally you can get a decent one for well under $100. Many people look only at the initial investment required for solar, but fail to see the long term savings. Yes your costs are loaded all up front, but once you have all the parts required your costs are ZERO. And I like that the power supply is silent as well, who wants to listen to (and refill!) a gasoline generator?

Back
Top Bottom