The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Here's an article that is very interesting to me. I've been thinking that many of our concerns about the effects of GMO crops may be more heavily related to the amount of glyphosate that can be used rather than just the genetic engineering itself. That has just seemed like common sense.

I've even tried to keep away from conventional crops even if they are non-GMO because of my "hunch" that it's the herbicides and chemical fertilizers that are causing many of our major health issues. Since both of those are used on conventional, non-GMO crops, I try to be conservative about using conventionally-farmed items and try to use them as little as possible.

So I was interested to see this today.

Is Roundup the Cause of 'Gluten Intolerance'?

A compelling new peer-reviewed report from two U.S. scientists argues that increased use of Monsanto’s glyphosate herbicide (trade name Roundup) could be the cause of the epidemic of symptoms labeled as “gluten intolerance.”

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real...m=HE eNews&utm_campaign=04.06.15 MEN HE eNews

The good news is the grow your own, farmer to table movement is growing. This just puts fire under it. I can't wait til retirement to grow more of my own, athough in Minnesota it is a little trickier when you can't have a danged thing growing for 7 months of the year. in the meantime there are farmers markets, csa's, eating local, eating seasonal..... canning, cheesemaking....yikes.

I know a lot of people who have stopped wheat because of the results of eating it - not just celiac but just about every health concern. No wheat and no sugar = amazing health. If only I had the willpower....

Here's an article that is very interesting to me. I've been thinking that many of our concerns about the effects of GMO crops may be more heavily related to the amount of glyphosate that can be used rather than just the genetic engineering itself. That has just seemed like common sense.

I've even tried to keep away from conventional crops even if they are non-GMO because of my "hunch" that it's the herbicides and chemical fertilizers that are causing many of our major health issues. Since both of those are used on conventional, non-GMO crops, I try to be conservative about using conventionally-farmed items and try to use them as little as possible.

So I was interested to see this today.

Is Roundup the Cause of 'Gluten Intolerance'?

A compelling new peer-reviewed report from two U.S. scientists argues that increased use of Monsanto’s glyphosate herbicide (trade name Roundup) could be the cause of the epidemic of symptoms labeled as “gluten intolerance.”

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real...m=HE eNews&utm_campaign=04.06.15 MEN HE eNews

The good news is the grow your own, farmer to table movement is growing. This just puts fire under it. I can't wait til retirement to grow more of my own, athough in Minnesota it is a little trickier when you can't have a danged thing growing for 7 months of the year. in the meantime there are farmers markets, csa's, eating local, eating seasonal..... canning, cheesemaking....yikes.

I know a lot of people who have stopped wheat because of the results of eating it - not just celiac but just about every health concern. No wheat and no sugar = amazing health. If only I had the willpower....

Hello all. After snow yesterday today was in the 50s so I got one length of the electric fence out and put up. One of the peepers has been jumping the fence daily to be in the yard. Hopefully this stops her from escaping lol

I swear they ran me down to get out on the grass. Once the yard dries up some more I will put the rest of the fence out.

Apples, rutabaga, etc. in the root cellar.... Dehydrated all kinds of things that are wonderful for winter cooking...

Anyone tried their hand at aged/fermented sausage that you don't cook - it just cures? Charceturie (am I spelling that right)? One of the local butcher shops sells them in our area. They keep them hanging from a rack on the ceiling behind the counter and you just ask them for one...they're very good. I'm going to find a recipe for that.

I have been wanting to dehydrate some ground meat for storage over the winter. I've wanted to see it it's possible to dehydrate rather than freeze meat. I know you can freeze dry for a very long shelf-life, and you can keep regular dehydrator dried meat quite some time without an issue. I'd just like to do some experimenting to see how it does.

I saw a "sweet" "home sized" freeze drier. It was advertised as affordable for home use. That is quite relative, however. It was still over $3000!!!!!!
ep.gif
I wish I knew enough local folks that would like to share one. But then I got an idea that I want to check out. Florists often have freeze driers for preserving floral arrangements. The idea I have is that they probably don't use them very often...or at least they probably have slow times. I'm wondering if one of them might want to rent one out for home food drying now and then.

My other idea is to purchase one and put it out for rent myself. However, I would want to know who was renting because that's too much money to lose on someone being careless. Perhaps insurance....

You can literally freeze dry items like ice cream sandwiches and they're quite tasty! (Not that I need any freeze-dried ice cream sandwiches, just for illustration purposes.)

Hey you guys! Check this out. Lots of good speakers and topics, and it's free. Starting Monday, April 6 through the whole week. Workshops will only be available 24 hours after posting so take a look at the schedule and see if anything interests you!

http://www.homegrownfoodsummit.com/
Great idea Leahs Mom, I love Marjorie and I've bought the video package. My computer was on the fritz so I've waited until now to pull it out and watch it. This is one smart lady.
big_smile.png

I have been wanting to dehydrate some ground meat for storage over the winter. I've wanted to see it it's possible to dehydrate rather than freeze meat. I know you can freeze dry for a very long shelf-life, and you can keep regular dehydrator dried meat quite some time without an issue. I'd just like to do some experimenting to see how it does.

You can easily dehydrate ground beef (and probably also ground pork, ground turkey, etc). Choose the leanest meat you can find. Cook it gently until it's just lost all pinkness, then do everything you can to drain off all the grease. I usually dump the cooked meat into a colander and let it drain a while, then use paper towels to gently press out any remaining grease. The reason for removing as much grease as possible is that grease can make the meat turn rancid. You will want to break the meat into small even pieces (as best you can). Spread the meat evenly on dehydrator trays and dry at 130 to 140 degrees until the meat is dry but not hard as rock. Once it seems dry,put the cooled meat into a closed glass jar and put in the refrigerator overnight. This give the meat a chance to "temper", in other words the moisture distributes evenly through the meat so it's easier to make sure it properly dried. You can re-dry a little more if needed. To use, just re-hydrate in whatever sauce or broth you're using in the recipe so the meat can take on the flavor of whatever you're cooking. You can do this on a slow simmer for an hour or two, or do it overnight in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom