The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I've lost count of the number of broodies that I've had this year. I've run out of pens to keep them separate in. I finally have one hung up in a cage on bungee cords. How long is it supposed to take to break them of being broody?
I have had constant broodies too this year. I did more research since I was having trouble breaking them. I realized that I needed to keep them in the cage overnight, too - since even if you put them on the roost, they seem to find a way to get to the nest regardless of what you have done to block them off at night. Each time they make it to a nest, it seems to "recharge" the broodiness. Cages up off the ground supposedly work best since air flow improves to cool their heated chest and legs. When I have had multiple broodies, though, I haven't noticed a difference between keeping them in a temporary run and keeping them in a wire cage off the ground.

Longest time in a cage: 5 days, most of them break on the 3rd or 4th day.

Best tip: if you can, put them in a temporary run for a bit during the day and throw them scratch - anything to encourage normal behavior.

I have tried a cold water sitz bath, but it didn't seem to accomplish anything on the three different hens I tried it with. I have not tried dunking their entire body in cold water.

I have found I have to be extremely diligent about removing potential broodies from the nest, and when I am at work on long days, I seem to get a broody since I can't collect the eggs.

Right now, I have been broody free for almost 36 hours!!!
woot.gif

I wouldn't make the maternity ward a permanent home for her and the chicks until she is finished being broody.  She will protect the chicks from the other flock members.  I would, however, keep them in there for about a week or so but then open the doors.  That way, the chicks will get integrated into the flock without a tremendous amount of bullying.

Lacy, I had a question about broodies and their chicks, when will they fledge them? Our broody and chicks are still separated from the flock, due to the chicks not being big enough to be out for free range. So she and the chicks are in the enclosed run win a small coop, still sleeping in the nest boxes. The chicks will be 30 days old, in the next couple days. The babies know how to roost as they roost on the run perches and roosts. We also had to integrate the 15, two month kids with the adult flock and give mom and babies the run. Is she waiting to fledg them once she re-joins the flock and roosting with them? I do not plan on integrating these chicks with our flock as they are going elsewhere, due to space restrictions. Should I just go ahead and remove the chicks and get them moved on and let mom rejoin the flock or wait until she is ready? Thanks

To everyone who contributes to this thread, I have been reading and re-reading this thread often. I love the discussion and while I don't always jump in (I am still a newbie relatively in the chicken world) I am always learning from this amazing group of people here sharing their knowledge, trial and errors.

Oh and lastly to anyone who might know, I need opinions. We have a very aggressive young cockerel who is the alpha if the Fifteen nine week olds. He started crowing at week 7 and by week 8 he began mounting his flock mates, rather brutally. I did see his dad chase him off a young pullet last night after the youngster was rough. Isn't this rather early for these types of acts, mainly the mating?

I'm eggcited to announce that after having my backyard flock now for four years, I finally have my very first broody hen! Her name is Willow and she's a two year old Black Sexlink. My neighbor had some eggs from his flock, as he has a rooster and I do not. I've put the eggs under her Monday night. And so far, so good. She gets up once or twice a day to stretch and do her business, then gets back to the nest. I'm hoping all goes well with her and perhaps we'll get some chicks in a few weeks.
We're building her a Maternity Ward in the coop so she can remain with the flock and raise her brood in a safe place.

OOOHHH I cant wait to see those pics!
wink.png
hint

@COchick

Bummer...just lost a whole post.

I was going to weigh in on the broody mammas.... I've only had one broody girl that raised 2 broods for me. Her "style" was to stay with the kids for 12 - 14 weeks, then one day just "ditch" them and chase them away from her. THAT'S A LONG TIME!

I say "her style" because they're all different.

Some keep the kids for 2-3 weeks then ditch; others "hang out" with the kids long-term and never really ban them.

So you'll just have to observe your girl and see what her style is.

And....have you ever seen such a ridiculous site as these huge "kids" trying to still get under their mamma?

@COchick Bummer...just lost a whole post. I was going to weigh in on the broody mammas.... I've only had one broody girl that raised 2 broods for me. Her "style" was to stay with the kids for 12 - 14 weeks, then one day just "ditch" them and chase them away from her. THAT'S A LONG TIME! I say "her style" because they're all different. Some keep the kids for 2-3 weeks then ditch; others "hang out" with the kids long-term and never really ban them. So you'll just have to observe your girl and see what her style is. And....have you ever seen such a ridiculous site as these huge "kids" trying to still get under their mamma?
Omg, that is hysterical! Thanks for the reinforcement to trust the hen and watch for signs of her being done. I have pretty much let her tell me when to change something, like after she wanted out of her dog crate on day 24 or 25 and never returned to the eggs. I later cracked them to see and they all were not viable so she knew. Anyway, during the day they pretty much have space from mama and explore but are quick to come when she calls, so she isn't done by any means. She is protective still of the chicks, she pecks through the wiring at anyone who gets too close. I think after she got her own space with just the chicks she hatched she became a little more protective again. The littles were crowding her and the babies in the nest box. We have removable dividers In-between the nest boxes that I removed. Effectively making three nest boxes into one big one. She and the the three chicks she hatched and the Fifteen older chicks all slept in there. It was pretty cute, she adopted them and such. She has been such a good broody and mama, it has been a great learning experience to have come full circle with our flock. She also doesn't like the magpies that fly in here and there, she is one fierce mama. Here she is today with the babies, they are so cute.
OOOHHH I cant wait to see those pics! ;) hint
nothing beats a good broody! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom