The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

doesn't the all flock feed have more protien? that might explain it.

Keeping mine on their reg feed without extra light or heat they laid almost 2 months longer than most in the area

All flock feed usually has an 18% protein. Laying hen is 16%, all flock and chick starter is 18%, some chick starters are also 20%, and Meat bird is usually 22%.

All flock feed usually has an 18% protein. Laying hen is 16%, all flock and chick starter is 18%, some chick starters are also 20%, and Meat bird is usually 22%.

yep more protein seems to be the trick in cold climates I think,becausemine aren't getting any extra light or heat and like I said they laid almost 2 months longer consistently that any of the other peoples that have chickens around here even free ranged. most are cooped and getting extra light and warmth .

Okay I finally have fermented feed =)!
I took your large trash can idea and asked the hubby to find a way to keep it warm in one of the chicken sheds. We purchased a 50 gallon syrup drum from the salvage yard. It has a twist on lid. He put electrical tape around it and plugged it in. It doesn't make it hot but keeps it about 60 degrees even though it is 30's outside. Today was our first FF feed out and it took the girls a couple times to decide they would eat it. The black sexlink who eat anything and everything scarfed it down no question. I really think this is going to work since I have lots of nice bubbles in the feed =).
Thank you all for all your help I'm feeling really good about using this direction for winter feed. Oh I did remove the ACV water from the pins like someone said it would be too much acid.

Merry Christmas!!

I am again 5000 posts behind. I miss so much vital information.I miss you all so much..

I have not been around for several reasons..
Major surgery and major health issues
My DH can't take the illness and asked me to move out..he is so upset about all of it. It is so hard on him.

I finally found a place I could afford to buy and have chickens. I should be moving in January/February
I will not have as many chickens as I had ..I will be really reduced because I bought a tiny cottage with under a half acre and that will be hard for me to do upkeep as it is.

I am getting healthy now..I should be able to drive in March and really get back into the swing of things.

Blessing to all..

Merry Christmas!!

I am again 5000 posts behind. I miss so much vital information.I miss you all so much..

I have not been around for several reasons..
Major surgery and major health issues
My DH can't take the illness and asked me to move out..he is so upset about all of it. It is so hard on him.

I finally found a place I could afford to buy and have chickens. I should be moving in January/February
I will not have as many chickens as I had ..I will be really reduced because I bought a tiny cottage with under a half acre and that will be hard for me to do upkeep as it is.

I am getting healthy now..I should be able to drive in March and really get back into the swing of things.

Blessing to all..
Never be afraid of life-changes. Sometimes we're so much better off after getting settled in. Hoping for the best to you!!!

Last edited:
Delisha,
It is wonderful to hear from you!

Those major life swings can hit you for a loop sometimes - having been thru some doozies myself - life is just a ride! You sound pretty upbeat, and I hope that carries you through most of the days. Days it doesn't carry you through, I did the threes. You know, look for the three things that are really good and you can be grateful for. Even on the days when the best I could do was be grateful for a glimpse of a chickadee or for a cup of coffee, it helped me. Apologies for the unasked for advice.

I've been grateful for your advice and experience with chickens, and glad that you will have a few chickens with you at the new cottage. Hope you will be able to check back in here, you have been missed.

Best wishes, and a ton of hugs!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom