The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I never had mine close enough to the chicks but didn't get very many last year, will probably take the incubated chicks hatching soon and put them in the insulated shed with the others if the broody will accept them, but the ones under the broody 4 days old aren't under her much, she's showing em where to find safety now as they are all eating, drinking,scratching and running every where as they don't wanna wait for momma.

I've only looked briefly at the Ohio brooder so I may have totally missed something....

But...
-From what I see the light bulbs are exposed to the chicks with no "guard". I couldn't do that for risk of them being burned. Even with a guard, the bulb in such close proximity to the chicks..even if in some kind of a guard.. would be extremely hot. I couldn't risk that.

-24 hour light again.

Am I missing something?
Nope, you're not missing a thing. But, I think a low wattage light bulb does not put out that much heat. I can touch the 40W bulbs in my bator, and they are not too hot to touch. Yes, I agree, if I made one, I'd surely have a guard over the bulbs. I just think that for brooding a LOT of chicks it would get the job done using less wattage than a heat lamp, provide better heat control. Yes, it would be 24/7 light. But, if you are planning to brood 100 chicks, how many heat pads will you realistically buy and set up??? IMO, I'll plan to stay at a comfortable # of chicks that can be handled with the 2 pads I have.

My new brooder

(75 watt infrared bulb) (100 degrees directly under & 90 against wall by lamp) (75 degrees far side)

Last edited:
[/quote]
My new brooder

(75 watt infrared bulb) (100 degrees directly under & 90 against wall by lamp) (75 degrees far side)

What a GREAT set-up! I am jealous....want exact same thing
2764.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f61c.png

Thanks for showing us what clever things can be done with some creativity and ingenuity. KUDOS!

Last edited:
It also could be fowl pox. More time will tell. I would do nothing for both problems, as long as the hen has a good immunity system she should fight off both an infection and pox. Chickens are really good at healing themselves.
It is definitely fowl pox! Thank you for the help! I have been dabbing a little VetRX on the blisters and have been giving her the antibiotic Tylan 50 just to be safe because one of the blisters is so close to her eye. From everything I have read it looks like she will get better in about 3 weeks! Thanks again :)

It is definitely fowl pox!  Thank you for the help!    I have been dabbing a little VetRX on the blisters and have been giving her the antibiotic Tylan 50 just to be safe because one of the blisters is so close to her eye.     From everything I have read it looks like she will get better in about 3 weeks!       Thanks again :)
I have had it in my turkeys, some have had eyes swollen shut and look like someone bashed them with a 2x4, the first time I saw it I though it was some deadly exotic disease. It always looks bad but runs it course. I've only seen the dry pox, and hope to never see the wet version.

Just wondering if you had a vet look at it to confirm or if there were other symptoms that confirmed it for you :caf

It was the symptoms that confirmed it for me. The pictures that others have posted on fowl pox look exactly like what she has and she isn't acting sick at all it's just the sores. Hopefully she will be better in a couple of weeks!

Back
Top Bottom