The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

@oldhenlikesdogs

Curious why you feed only the Bantams the grower vs. feeding it to the whole flock?
The all flock is a pellet, the bantams can eat it but prefer the crumbles, I cave to their cuteness. They would pick the crumbles out and leave a dish of pellets. In my large breed shed I was having problems with feeding a million sparrows. Apparently they can't eat the pellet too well and so my feed bill has dropped substantially.

Taking a survey of folks with SMALL FLOCKS.

At What age do you let your "chicks" out to free range without supervision? (As in being at work all day...and considering they'd likely be "easy pickins" for arial predators should they pass though.)

I'd like to hear everyone's practice and experience on this.

pop.gif

Mine are free range now at 5 weeks going on six weeks. Though they haven't traveled out too far yet and it will be a few weeks before they start going farther out. They are mostly exploring the whole shed and sitting in their pen. They are adventurous though and run in and out.

At What age do you let your "chicks" out to free range without supervision? (As in being at work all day...and considering they'd likely be "easy pickins" for arial predators should they pass though.)

pop.gif

I think this really depends on your established flock. In my observations, some adapt better than others to change and older, mature hens seem less focused on picking on chicks than younger hens. I begin the see-but-not-touch phase at 4 weeks with my isolation coop set up right beside the big coop. At 5 weeks, I let them mingle for 5 minutes here and there and increase the time a few minutes each time and always supervised. The mature hens are typically more interested in chick food over the chicks. I find that the girls who are around point of lay need to be watched closely because they're more focused on the chicks than the food. By 6 weeks, everybody's out free - ranging together and I check on them less and less frequently. The chicks seem to stick together and close to the coop anyway, whereas the older birds are more comfortable ranging further away so paths aren't crossing too often. Offering the chicks places to go where the larger birds can't fit into (with multiple escape routes) helps the chicks if/when they really need it. By 7-8 weeks, I'm comfortable leaving for the whole day. If you've already been letting them mingle and they're doing well with supervision, watch from a little further distance and see how they do together. If they're fine with you being some distance from them, go in the house and watch through the windows if you can but if your adults are really picking on them, then they're not ready.

Last edited:
@leahsmom

I don't know how helpful anything I could say will be, but here goes...

I integrated my pullets and cockeral in stages. They went out into the main coop at 4 weeks In a large brooder, so basically it was a look don't touch get to know one another. That was about a week and a half, then I let them mingle in the coop supervised. I gave them more freedom and increased their time together and then once I saw they were getting along I let them outside, but in the paddock area.

By three months They were free ranging, but they separated them selves from the older hens so that despite them "getting along" they essentially became two separate flocks while free ranging. I have a number of hiding places on my property and they had access to the enclosed run and attached coop. I can see them from any window in the kitchen and living room so I'm always watching. They always handled themselves pretty well when ever I'd see a hawk flying over they'd take cover.

They are 14 months now and of course you know about the fox attacks.

Thanks everyone.

My oldest kiddos are now 13 weeks. They will do okay with the older birds as they know how to keep out of their way so that part is good.

It's too bad I'm away at work or I might feel a little better about letting them run free at an earlier age. Maybe I'll have to start letting them out in the afternoons when I get home to "break them in".

That's a good idea, I'm home all day so I can check on mine. I would probably wait until I'm home too. Mine are penned until I get out there in the morning to let them out for a few more weeks until I feel more comfortable too.

At What age do  you let your "chicks" out to free range without supervision?  (As in being at work all day...and considering they'd likely be "easy pickins" for arial predators should they pass though.)

:pop

I keep mine in a run until they are a good size, about 4 months I'd say. I do let them out supervised before this, but our main daytime predators are bald eagle and hawks, and I worry too much when they are small to leave them out alone. I also only keep large breeds for this reason, though my kids really want Easter Eggers and are trying to wear me down on getting some
1f61e.png

At What age do  you let your "chicks" out to free range without supervision?  (As in being at work all day...and considering they'd likely be "easy pickins" for arial predators should they pass though.)

:pop

Leah's Mom, you are thinking of incubated rather than broody-raised chicks, no?

I have a small suburban backyard flock that free range in the backyard; when I gave my broody fertile eggs last year I decided to risk losses and let her decide when to take them out, once I confirmed that she would protect them from the adults. She had them out ranging very quickly - maybe Day 3. I lost one of nine chicks to aerial predation. One factor was that the chicks were a breed known for dealing well with escaping predators.

Leah's Mom, you are thinking of incubated rather than broody-raised chicks, no?

I have a small suburban backyard flock that free range in the backyard; when I gave my broody fertile eggs last year I decided to risk losses and let her decide when to take them out, once I confirmed that she would protect them from the adults. She had them out ranging very quickly - maybe Day 3. I lost one of nine chicks to aerial predation. One factor was that the chicks were a breed known for dealing well with escaping predators.
Yes, incubated. When I've had a mamma I've had the same experience as you - out early and well taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom