The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I've heard a lot of mixed results on faverolles laying ability. What do you guys think. I also have to choose another chicken that has good laying ability and docility.

Faverolle aren't the greatest layers. They are sporadic and the eggs are small. Buff Orpingtons are a good all around bird.

Last edited:
Here's a question for y'all.

I have one little Swedish Flower Hen that seems to have a problem. She....smells.
ep.gif

Seriously, if I have to pick this girl up for something I always notice that she is stinky. (Seems like a manure-related smell.)

At first I thought it was because they've been inside a lot during the winter and I haven't fed soaked or fermented feed on a regular basis lately - mostly dry but the same feed which I've made at home with mostly organic grains, etc.

But I've realized that when I pick up other birds, none of the others are stinky.

So...
I'm thinking there may be something wrong with this particular bird. This is the bird that I call "Cranky" because she is a biter - which I've never experienced before.. She's the one that will stand right up and give me a tongue lashing to my face, or seek me out to bite whatever she can reach (like a hand, leg, etc.) when I'm totally not in her face, just going about whatever I need to do.

Because she had that personality, and she comes near me anytime I'm in there, I can pick her right up with no chase. (Of course I have to be careful she can't reach my hands once I have her or she'll bite.) I've often picked her up and carried her with me to keep her out of my way actually.

I've begun to wonder if the cranky personality may be because of some underlying pain or something now that I know she's stinky.

I am thinking of bringing her in for an epsom salt soak to see if that cleans up things but I will wait until the weather is going to be near 70 before that and wear armor while she'd in the bucket since she likes to bite.

But just wondering:
Have any of you had a stinky bird before? If so, did you figure out the cause?

Edited to add a photo of Cranky and to state that she is under a year old - hatched approximately the beginning of May 2016.

@oldhenlikesdogs
The only times I had stinky hens was because they needed their feathers trimmed around their vent or the one that had a lac from the dog getting her. I think a soak may be a good way to see what it is. My hens that need the feathers trimmed around their vents can get very stinky if I dont trim them in the spring and fall. The excrement is usually down to their skin if I wait to long. Nasty smell
sickbyc.gif
I dont know why my hens always need trims......they just seem to have fluffy butts that collect poop

I had a hen that was smelly that was very sick. The smell was infection. It isn't always, but she smelled like death all of a sudden, so I know she developed a problem.

Thankfully she doesn't smell like infection or death. @armorfirelady I have one BR that I have to trim regularly too. Every year all the time no matter what feed I use. And the others don't get it.

I'll probably be able to get this girl examined with a helper over the weekend.

I know from personal experience that if there is metabolic disorder there can be a disagreeable odor at certain times of the day. Can be the same with chickens. There may not be anything outwardly to show it.

Thankfully she doesn't smell like infection or death. @armorfirelady I have one BR that I have to trim regularly too. Every year all the time no matter what feed I use. And the others don't get it.

I'll probably be able to get this girl examined with a helper over the weekend.
Mine have only had fermented feed. They do get a handful of bird seed, food scraps & some yogurt at times. I think some are just more prone to fluffy bottoms that become poop collectors lol

@oldhenlikesdogs, when you said buff orpingtons are good, does that mean other Orpington too? Because I think lavender are pretty cool.
Buff Orpingtons are usually decent layers, especially hatchery stock. Other colors don't usually lay as much, and they will go broody often. So if you want eggs, good hatchery birds are best, breeders birds or fancier colors will be disappointing in egg production.

Back
Top Bottom