The Never-ending Raccoon thread. (BOBCAT CONFIRMED PAGE 15)

for the longest time Ive hated raccoons because a while back 2 of my chickens were killed by coons (and I am not a poultry person, just someone who loves chickens and takes eggs that's it). then i saw the dead coon in the beginning of this thread. it made me think of how raccoons are like any other organism. they need some source of food to live. chickens happened to be its choice...

Raccoons are certainly one of the smartest animals there is. They can open doors, undo latches, and will even shut them back after they are through. They are also pretty vicious. I would certainly recommend giving one a wide berth if you walk in on one. They can get nasty in a hurry, and don't usually back down! My chickens are lucky because I also happen to raise Bluetick Coonhounds. So, unless a coon decides to be a kamakazee; they pretty much steer clear of our place. I'm also surrounded by large scale chicken farms and other poultry lovers; who encourage us to help them out by hunting near them. Now, we don't usually kill the raccoons. Unless they are actually causing problems, as in eating the neighbors chickens we just let the hounds put them up a tree, pet the dog, go to the house. If they do get started killing chickens, they usually return every night for the buffet. If we killed all the coons, what would we hunt? I also know lots of fellow hunters that put out corn and build nest boxes for them in the woods. So, we do try and help the coons out too. They should leave our poor chickens alone. Should be enough freebies at the compost bins. Amy

Last edited:
Quote:
And that is why I feed my chickens dog and cats raccoon every chance I get. Sometimes I even take a few bites myself.
wink.png

Beefy,
Love the thread. I went back and read all 23 pages of posts. Next weekend we are going to a huge coonhunt called the Winter Classic in Albany, Georgia. Beefy did you leave us anything to hunt? LOL. We may need to swing by your house to help you clean up.
th.gif
I'm sure some of our hounds would love to practice for the big show. We might even be able to fix your kitty cat problem. I know some bluedogs have been used to hunt couger and bear. A little bobcat should be a piece of crumb cake. Amy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom