For years I've been drooling over the Sweeter Heaters, but they're so dang expensive. Last year, I finally got 3 of them, one for each coop that I normally use. They are safe, and are not power guzzlers. For the record, they do NOT heat the coop, but they do heat the birds. The way you test to see if their working, is to hold your arm under one for a minute. Your arm should warm up, but not the surrounding area. It's kind of nifty how it works. We've plugged them into a thermostat, like a thermal cube. When it drops below 50, they will turn on automatically, then turn off when the temps reach 52. I'm still waiting for it to get cold enough to actually test them out.

We put them in early. My birds don't LIKE it when we make major changes to their set up. I didn't want them to be afraid of the "boogie man heater", and stay on the other side of the coop. Now, they are used to them being in there, so it won't be a problem when it gets cold.
Sounds similar to the heated cat house I use. They don't warm up until they cat sits on the pad. Those I do use. I bought one different kind where the pad stays warm constantly. The cats love that one the best but it makes me uneasy. Good to know there's a safer option for chickens for those who wish to provide extra heat.

I guess I'm going to lose Scarlett after all. She is weak, no appetite again unless I bring her special food, etc. She stuffed herself into the bottom opening of a concrete block on its end to hold up the wall nest boxes in the back pen just to get away from the roosters and I hauled her out, put her in a nest in there where she never lays and later, she was still there. .We decided to put her in the hospital cage overnight so she can be unmolested. I thought she might make it, but she's definitely bloated. So, I'll have lost two of my six EE hens before they turn three years old. Hardly seems fair, but I was thinking that might happen when I got a whole new batch of hatchery birds.
At least Iris is laying again after being broody forEVER.

So sorry Cynthia. :( I know you did all you could for her.
I did. I just hate this. She is too young and vital to lose, but there is no cure for bad genetics. I can't blame it on anything but that. Two of the Cackle EEs with similar reproductive issues when no one else in the barn has anything wrong with them that is similar. They eat the same food, are managed the same way as all the other groups. Guess I should know by now that there is no solution. Means also that I will be left with even a worse male to female ratio than I had previously. At a certain point, a rooster pen is in order. We're definitely having a run of unpleasantness in the barn with old, injured and just bad hatchery breeding.
A young friend of mine just has a Langshan hen hang herself in the fence. And he has a lovely Silver Penciled Rock pullet with weird leg issues, swollen toes, etc, and I've never seen anything quite like it before so he's having the same bad luck with his these days, couldn't even give him a "maybe it's this" answer; he's about to euthanize her. Guess we all have those sad runs of bad stuff, don't we?
Steven Gribble did get back to me on the lines of BRs he has. I can't remember if I reported that on this thread. My brain is so full, stuff is leaking out, LOL. He is getting back into BRs with the last of Dick Horstman's line. After a couple of pens are freed up, I may hit him up for hatching eggs. I could pick them up from him because he's fairly close to me. If he doesn't have them at that time, I'll contact Chris Maddalena in CA to get some. I just don't want to complicate my life with new chicks at the moment. Winter is coming soon, need to think spring at the earliest.

And propane heaters in the barn? Um, no.

I try to enjoy my birds as long as I have them. I do my best by them. There are too many that live short lives, and others live a long time.

I started a rooster pen this year. This year's batch of boys are just too pretty to put in the freezer. Plus it's too depressing. We will see how it goes.

Some more gorgeous barred rocks sounds nice Cynthia. I look forward to following along if you decide to go on that adventure again. :)

I try to enjoy my birds as long as I have them. I do my best by them. There are too many that live short lives, and others live a long time.

I started a rooster pen this year. This year's batch of boys are just too pretty to put in the freezer. Plus it's too depressing. We will see how it goes.

Some more gorgeous barred rocks sounds nice Cynthia. I look forward to following along if you decide to go on that adventure again. :)
I agree about those too handsome to just eat. If one is super aggressive, sure, but they are so gorgeous, they deserve to be some eye candy.
I would love to start with some beautiful Barred Rocks again. They've been my very favorite LF breed all along from the first two hatchery hens. I love you still being here, Lisa. Always a pleasure to see you. Thanks for all your advice with the fluffy-footed horde!

Sorry I've been awol Cynthia. Last year I lost the best little dog and I mostly shut down. It's been hard on me. Also one of my other older dog became a diabetic so I have been dealing with that too. My dogs are my life. Never meant to disappear. I'm starting to come back now.

Sorry I've been awol Cynthia. Last year I lost the best little dog and I mostly shut down. It's been hard on me. Also one of my other older dog became a diabetic so I have been dealing with that too. My dogs are my life. Never meant to disappear. I'm starting to come back now.
Oh, goodness, no apology necessary! I get it. Losing our dogs years ago really got to my husband, so much so that he never wants another. One was 12 and the other 15. If I am ever left alone, I will have another dog, mostly for my eyes and ears, companionship and some protection. I can't imagine living alone without a dog.

Back
Top Bottom