The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Hey Dawn as I said definitely not having this discussion as a judgement on my part or a ‘there are better ways to do it’ statement but more out of curiosity in that I, probably naively, assumed that everyone did the same as us. I was just a bit taken aback to hear of possibly good timber being burnt to make way for probably another timber structure?

Do you have house removalists/relocators? It is pretty cool to see a house on a truck on the highway:

Or half a house
lau.gif

It also gives those who are not able to buy an existing house and land package the affordability to buy just land and have a renovated, older home placed on it.

It's rarely seen here but there is a TV show that is filmed in Texas that is about homes being moved and flipped. I really enjoy watching the things they do with the homes! That tilted house looks a little unnerving.
pop.gif

I am spitting mad!! The big fire turned out to be a controlled burn...I'll post what my neighbor said on FB about it because I know you'll find it as unbelievable as I do! Been done before, though....Tam went through it last summer when they burned down the house directly behind hers and scared her half to death.

:

I would be angry as well...OMG "controlled" burning when folks are usually asleep
somad.gif

There should be some warning to people living in the area.

Thank you for the kind comments regarding the coop .. I am excited to see what it looks like when it is stained.

We have a date!! As I think I hinted, I will be booking the pets’ flight next week for the 12th of May and I will leave here on the 15th of June [ish]. OK, that is still 2 months away but if you break it down to 3 weeks before the pets leave and then 5 weeks after that I leave, it sounds much better
wink.png
On Monday I will book my holidays from work and start sussing out removalists
celebrate.gif

On a more general note .. the burning of houses or outbuildings is common? I do not think any houses are removed by fire here in Aus and demolitions are done by the removal of the building, either piece by piece or in some cases, in one piece by a house removalist who takes them back to their site, fixes them up and sells them to a new owner to have put on their block. Definitely not a judgement on my part but just a thought that that would be much kinder to the environment?
The coop is lovely. You don't have a long wait now....here's hoping time will pass quickly for you..
fl.gif
. Plan a few more gals nights out and time will pass quicker :)

In my area we don't see "controlled burning" of houses. Many smaller ones are moved like your example. The really old ones are renovated and kept up for nostalgia and a tour draw to our area:)
There are occasional cheap old worthless structures burned for training of the firemen - but for sure never when anyone is sleeping.

It's rarely seen here but there is a TV show that is filmed in Texas that is about homes being moved and flipped. I really enjoy watching the things they do with the homes! That tilted house looks a little unnerving.
pop.gif

I have seen some moved in our area and the cities thru which they traveled had to remove power lines temporarily for the transport...bet ya that cost quite a load of cash:)

Funny you should mention that Dawn, I heard the term ‘House Flippers’ for the first time this week when I saw the promo for a new reality TV show here in Aus. While I had heard of buying the old fixer upperer, renovating and selling for a profit, I had not heard it referred to as House Flipping until then.

sunflour Obviously I love BYC but it is times like these that I really do love it .. sitting here on an overcast day, telling myself that I should get going but enjoying the conversation and learning how we differ or are similar is so cool.

I work in IT so hopefully have at least a basic handle on technology
wink.png
but being able to sit here on a Saturday morning chatting to you on the other side of the world on your Friday night is awesome! I remember when we were all excited in our office when we got a fax machine! LOL Hopefully not sounding like a
old.gif
but youngsters of today take it for granted that they can speak to pretty much anyone anywhere in real time but I still remember waiting 6 weeks for a letter to arrive from a pen pal
wink.png

That's how our house arrived - on the back of two trucks:

In the end it wasn't cheaper than building new but at least it has character - it's an old bungalow.

Blooie - I'd panic too if I spotted a fire anywhere! I can't believe you weren't informed. Although, we've had workmen turn up today (Saturday) at 11.30am to reseal our road. Would've been nice if we'd been informed. Our whole road needs digging up and fixing before it's resealed, but obviously they are just going to waste a bit more money. It's far too high in the centre, we have water pooling where it shouldn't, we have drains that don't work, and up the road, because the flow of water isn't directed properly, one of the neighbours had water pouring down his driveway towards his house in the last big rainstorm. My DH helped to redirect the flow with some bricks, but seriously, you do wonder sometimes!

Anyway, here are my babies. Piper is 2 weeks old today. I'll have to get her out of the incubator soon, though I have turned it down a bit, because she's getting feathers and she won't need the heat for too much longer. But that means setting up another cage somewhere.

And here are my 4 little piggies. Feed time is a bun fight now! They are a week old so still completely naked. I think the one with the least toes (which was the very pale one initially, poor thing) will have to be called Stumpy.

All 3 baby bourkes are out of the nestbox today. Our aviary is just behind our front fence, so I'm hoping they won't be too freaked out by the road works going on today. They are very sweet.

Teila - it must be a relief to have a date to work towards, and yes, when you break it down it's really not a lot of time.

Debby, I hope your delivery went smoothly and everything is falling into place.

Good morning everyone!

I have to start by saying @Teila you hit the nail on the head with this, "being able to sit here on a Saturday morning chatting to you on the other side of the world on your Friday night is awesome!". I love knowing I can pop on here and find my scattered friends from all over. Definitely one of BYC's biggest plusses!

Blooie, would it do any good to have some concerned citizens talk to whoever is in charge of the controlled burns? The least they could do is give some notice to those in the area.

J, more sweet naked tiny babies! That was cool to see the picture of how they moved your house. I've only seen houses moved on tv, never in person. I do like it when older homes can be saved, they have a character that newer places don't.

Sunflour, I'd love to see some of the older homes in GA. Bet you have some beauties.

Teila, you have a date! Start your "short timers" calendar and start marking off those days! That should make the time go quicker.

Other than working like a madwoman yesterday, my big news is we're going to have a coop soon! Guess it will be our own version of house moving, lol. There was an old condemned wooden outhouse on the park grounds (the park is part of what we take care of), it had been boarded up for years. DH's maintenance guys tipped it over and we're going to move it up to our property. We'll have to strengthen it, paint, etc. to it but the basic structure is there. Whatever we put into it will be less than the $3000 a local builder quoted me for a coop.

Time to feed the cats, the chicks, take a shower and off I go again. Things are picking up, especially with the restaurant! We already have the dining room booked for 2 lunch meetings and the course scheduled for a tournament...pretty good when you figure we only opened a week ago!

Have a lovely day my friends!

sunflour Obviously I love BYC but it is times like these that I really do love it .. sitting here on an overcast day, telling myself that I should get going but enjoying the conversation and learning how we differ or are similar is so cool.

I work in IT so hopefully have at least a basic handle on technology
wink.png
but being able to sit here on a Saturday morning chatting to you on the other side of the world on your Friday night is awesome! I remember when we were all excited in our office when we got a fax machine! LOL Hopefully not sounding like a
old.gif
but youngsters of today take it for granted that they can speak to pretty much anyone anywhere in real time but I still remember waiting 6 weeks for a letter to arrive from a pen pal
wink.png
You summed it up quite well,

BYC is the only forum in which I have been active and look forward to reading. Nowhere else have I shared anything personal nor felt the warmth of true friendships. And the moderators do an outstanding job to keep our forums safer for us all. I find it fascinating to get a glimpse of other parts of the world as well as other areas here in the US. There is something special about people who love chickens, birds and other animals.

That's how our house arrived - on the back of two trucks:

In the end it wasn't cheaper than building new but at least it has character - it's an old bungalow.

Blooie - I'd panic too if I spotted a fire anywhere! I can't believe you weren't informed. Although, we've had workmen turn up today (Saturday) at 11.30am to reseal our road. Would've been nice if we'd been informed. Our whole road needs digging up and fixing before it's resealed, but obviously they are just going to waste a bit more money. It's far too high in the centre, we have water pooling where it shouldn't, we have drains that don't work, and up the road, because the flow of water isn't directed properly, one of the neighbours had water pouring down his driveway towards his house in the last big rainstorm. My DH helped to redirect the flow with some bricks, but seriously, you do wonder sometimes!

Anyway, here are my babies. Piper is 2 weeks old today. I'll have to get her out of the incubator soon, though I have turned it down a bit, because she's getting feathers and she won't need the heat for too much longer. But that means setting up another cage somewhere.

And here are my 4 little piggies. Feed time is a bun fight now! They are a week old so still completely naked. I think the one with the least toes (which was the very pale one initially, poor thing) will have to be called Stumpy.

All 3 baby bourkes are out of the nestbox today. Our aviary is just behind our front fence, so I'm hoping they won't be too freaked out by the road works going on today. They are very sweet.

When you posted the house moving option, I didn't realize you had done this. It would terrify me to arrange anything like that.

The new babies are precious - guess you'll not be getting sleep for awhile
hmm.png

Happy 2 weeks birthday Piper - glad to see those feathers coming in :)

Good morning everyone!

Sunflour, I'd love to see some of the older homes in GA. Bet you have some beauties.

Other than working like a madwoman yesterday, my big news is we're going to have a coop soon! Guess it will be our own version of house moving, lol. There was an old condemned wooden outhouse on the park grounds (the park is part of what we take care of), it had been boarded up for years. DH's maintenance guys tipped it over and we're going to move it up to our property. We'll have to strengthen it, paint, etc. to it but the basic structure is there. Whatever we put into it will be less than the $3000 a local builder quoted me for a coop.

Time to feed the cats, the chicks, take a shower and off I go again. Things are picking up, especially with the restaurant! We already have the dining room booked for 2 lunch meetings and the course scheduled for a tournament...pretty good when you figure we only opened a week ago!

Have a lovely day my friends!
Hi Debby
frow.gif
. I've been sleeping in every day during this vacation, so bet you're hard at work by now.

I love the idea of the Outhouse Coop - can't wait to see how you renovate and decorate it.

Throughout the course of yesterday, I learned that the surrounding neighbors were not only notified about the burning that house down, they were delighted, some of them helped, and a lot of them were up and watching the show from the back! Most of the old abandoned houses here aren't like the old houses most of you are used to seeing.....these are absolute eyesores and health hazards.

This is a relatively new area as far as settlement goes - the first settlers didn't even arrive until 1900, and when they did get here all they found was a desert with no trees to speak of, and very little in the way of bringing good quality building supplies in. Many of them would take a caravan of horse drawn wagons all the way to Yellowstone to get logs, and it was a treacherous trip....steep canyons, narrow passes, and it took days. They built with their own two hands, and they were built for utility, not aesthetics. Many of them were just intended to be temporary until the family could get established in the area. These hardy folks built their homes, ran their farms, and raised their kids in places that most of us would consider far below standard for even a 1900s bungalow. So there's no moving them. I still wish the entire town would have been notified, but since our fire department is 6 miles away, dispatch is 30 miles away, and our firefighters are volunteers, the burns are done super late at night or early in the morning so that it's less likely that they would be called on for accidental fires. In the unlikely event that there would be another accidental fire at the same time, the Deaver volunteer fire department is already on standby to handle those calls.

My brother Ron and his SO, Connie, lost everything including their 8 year old son in a house fire in Monroe, SD in 2002. This was back in South Dakota. A man in Sioux Falls knew of several houses that had been moved to make way for a new medical center, and he donated one to Ron and Connie. It was moved 30 miles and set into place on their lot where the fire took place. I cant' find the exact article on that but did find one on the fire where Ron mentions the house. So I'm all for moving and refurbishing homes whenever possible. In the case of these houses here in Cowley, if you nudge them they'll collapse. Cheaper for the family to just burn them rather than try to dismantle them. But after losing sweet nephew Coty in that fire, it freaks me out when I see house fires, especially in the early hours.

http://www.keloland.com/news/article/other/benefit-for-coty-engels-family

Last edited:
Oh, and good morning everyone!! Teehee Busy day today.....Ken's sister and her husband are coming up for a visit so I gotta clean out the chicken coop and put a bed in there for them. <sigh> Yep, space is at that much of premium in this stoopid house!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom