The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Morning all :frow
DMC, great job on those cookies... I had to show them to DW and she says she wants one.
Teila, best of luck on the change over
Sean, reading your list wore me out... I'm having trouble keeping up with 9 breeds, so only hatching two chicken breeds this year and four turkey. Might throw in a batch of ducks too.
Thanks Bob...I would have gladly shared them.
I like elephants too, also if their trunk is facing the middle of a room, that is supposed to be good luck. So far my little elephant figurines haven't done anything but get dusty. But I still love them
I was told if their trunk was up it was good luck...I’ll have to google. Maybe both?
Wait. Hold the phone. Shut the front door.

You made those? I thought they were factory made.

Wow. That's all that I can say. Lots of other words are forming, but I'm too astounded. So just wow.
Thank you!! I do these for a lot of get togethers and they just love them...I think it’s the frosting that mskes these go
Sounds like a busy day! I have been working on the setup for a gable fan replacement. I cut a piece of plywood from the old counter and then used a jig saw to cut a circle for the fan shroud. The fan did not come with screws for the wood part so I need to go to Home Depot and get some for that.

While at Home Depot, I will also pick up the new Pellet BBQ! If all goes well, I will be BBQing a pizza in it tonight!
That would be good.
Looks like things are finally going to get moving with the restaurant! All the paperwork is done, we can order stuff Tuesday to get a delivery truck on Friday. I'm going to be cooking and smoking like crazy all next weekend so we can open for customers on Tuesday, the 8th.

You all are invited for dinner! :D
I wish I lived nearby, sounds good!!
Good Morning Friends :hugs

Congrats on getting the run fixed up Michelle :clap

Love the elephant cookies DMC! :love :clap

Diva I thought it was good luck if their trunks were facing a door?

Blooie .. love the story of how your mum handled the bills! :lau Note to self: need to buy a lazy susan ;)

Kelsey I hope the coop and run plans went well. Looking forward to the pics! :pop

Debby great news about the restaurant opening! :clap

Hubby has a cold which he has lovingly shared with me; he is coughing and hacking up a storm but I am only early stages at the moment, hopefully I will not get too bad. Also, fingers crossed FIL does not get it :oops:

Not a typical Sunday for me today because I do not have to do the housework which I did on Wednesday :yesss: So, trip in to town for the big weekly grocery shop and home to water. Still tossing up whether to water the lawn .. we had some rain overnight but not enough but we have the chance of showers for the rest of the week. Of course, if I water the lawn, it will rain all week and if I do not water the lawn, it won’t rain :confused: I will decide when I get home. Other plans, rest and relax and try and not get too under the weather with this cold.

The boys lost the game but the umpiring left a lot to be desired and they did not give up so it was not an embarrassing thrashing.
Thanks Teila!! Hope you don’t get to ill!

A0BD758D-4942-4A65-B4A0-27406403788B.jpeg

Good Morning Friends :hugs

Congrats on getting the run fixed up Michelle :clap

Love the elephant cookies DMC! :love :clap

Diva I thought it was good luck if their trunks were facing a door?

Blooie .. love the story of how your mum handled the bills! :lau Note to self: need to buy a lazy susan ;)

Kelsey I hope the coop and run plans went well. Looking forward to the pics! :pop

Debby great news about the restaurant opening! :clap

Hubby has a cold which he has lovingly shared with me; he is coughing and hacking up a storm but I am only early stages at the moment, hopefully I will not get too bad. Also, fingers crossed FIL does not get it :oops:

Not a typical Sunday for me today because I do not have to do the housework which I did on Wednesday :yesss: So, trip in to town for the big weekly grocery shop and home to water. Still tossing up whether to water the lawn .. we had some rain overnight but not enough but we have the chance of showers for the rest of the week. Of course, if I water the lawn, it will rain all week and if I do not water the lawn, it won’t rain :confused: I will decide when I get home. Other plans, rest and relax and try and not get too under the weather with this cold.

The boys lost the game but the umpiring left a lot to be desired and they did not give up so it was not an embarrassing thrashing.

Thanks! It did go well! I'll post some pics in a bit. They were nervous though. I bribed them inside the run with sunflower seeds, which they gladly fell for, but then once they realized they were locked in they did a little pacing and clucking/squawking. Then as it started getting darker and darker, they really started screaming and pacing. They needed a roost and didn't see one and didn't realize they could go inside. A few finally did and went up but they kept running out, even with sunflower seeds on the ramp and inside. At one point I forced everyone up but then they all ran out lol anyway, long story short, I came inside, grabbed more sunflower seeds and my phone (for flashlight) and climbed inside the coop (making sure to place a stick in the latch so I don't lock myself inside, which I have done an embarrassing amount of times LOL) and just sat inside with them until they all came in and then went on the roosts. A few were already inside so it didn't take long for the others to come in with the light on. I think they were scared of the dark new place? But with the light on they all came in. But then they were like well where to do we sleep? Two had gone inside the nest boxes and the rest were confused. So I took one of my docilest, most confident chicken, and placed her on the roost bars. Once I did that the others started catching on, though it took a while for everyone to gain the courage to fly up there. It's funny though, some of them kept flying back and forth between roost bars lol and there's like 18 inches between them. They couldn't decide where to be I guess. But then they all started settling down once everybody was up there.

We did have an escapee though lol I originally opened the nest boxes for light before I decided to go inside and my broody Australorp came FLYING out. At first I was like "oh poop!!" And really scared because at this point it was pretty dark outside and I didn't think I'd be able to catch her if I went far. Then I realized where she was going and was both relieved and entertained. Silly thing had run straight back to the old coop and into the nest! That's also why, I realized, she was the most distraught and the loudest before. She had left her "brood" alone way too long!!! And so she was so happy to be able to get back to the nest!! I'm just relieved I hadn't gotten around to breaking her yet and that she only wanted to go back to the nest because I don't think I could have caught her otherwise!! So I just picked her up and carried her back to the new coop and that's when I did the sitting thing.

I think they are just a little nervous because it is a new place so hopefully they will settle down soon. I don't blame them, they've been in that other coop since 7 weeks old. They're now 2 1/2 years old. I guess it takes time?

I feel bad though and of course I am like a worried mother LOL

I locked them in rather than leaving the door open like usual and I only left the windows half open. Did the new deadbolt. We built it pretty well I think but I'm just as, if not more, nervous than them lol

I left a bowl of food inside for the first night or first few. Another food bowl and the water outside, along with the grit and oyster shell.

I think also that I need to keep them locked in this new coop for a few days or weeks?? Like not free ranging? So they learn this is their home now? Do I need to lock them in the actual coop or can they go in the run?

I hope they learn to like it eventually!!

Also, the old coop looks soooo weird without the fence around it. We are going to throw that out tomorrow once the tractor is fixed so we can use the trailer. They fixed it today but it broke again.

Also, when I was digging out the fence (the bottom has gotten buried about a foot, almost two in some places like the middle), there were sooooo many worms along the edges!! Like at least 5, 10, 20, every shovel full! Some babies, some HUGE. They were red, so maybe red worms not earth worms? A couple earth in other areas. Our garden is gonna be great this year!! Haha planning on liming and rototilling it all. Along with the two raised beds of course.

Pictures shortly. Might shower first.

That is how I read it. However I suspect that only @Blooie is (almost) close enough to make it. I think @N F C is counting on that or the first several paychecks will be GONE. Hmmm, maybe if we pass ourselves off as official food testers. Have to make sure there isn't anything bad in there.

Sounds like they better be facing in all directions just to be sure.

Nope, left over spinach and artichoke lasagna night (from last Saturday).

That's still Italian :p

So maybe it's Italian night lol

Sounds like a busy day! I have been working on the setup for a gable fan replacement. I cut a piece of plywood from the old counter and then used a jig saw to cut a circle for the fan shroud. The fan did not come with screws for the wood part so I need to go to Home Depot and get some for that.

While at Home Depot, I will also pick up the new Pellet BBQ! If all goes well, I will be BBQing a pizza in it tonight!
That's what I had for breakfast, this morning.:lau

Oh and in my hurry to get everything moved before dark and carrying too much at once, I think I hurt my back. Doesn't hurt too bad atm though thankfully. I tried to carry two cinder blocks at once.... bad idea lol the water is on a regular cinder block with the holes and then one of those like few inch ones except that one only has holes on one side and is solid on the other so turns out it's heavier than the big one... I thought oh it's small so it will be fine... yeah no.

I only managed to carry it like half or 3/4's of the way before I had to drop them and carry one at a time.

I have so many pics to post but I'm feeling rather tired/lazy/overwhelmed atm haha I will post the ones from today though but when I say a lot I mean like random pictures of the chickens or the house or cool stuff from like weeks ago I never posted and now I'm really behind which is why I'm being lazy cause it will take forever to upload haha

But I'll post these and worry about those later. :)

Back
Top Bottom