The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

My mom attempted canning a couple of times... the poor woman was a horrible cook. She was making jelly... decided there was too much sugar in the recipe, so cut it in half. Needless to say, it was a tad runny.

Then there's the time she went to one of those pick your own places. She picked bell peppers among other things. She cut them up, put them in a plastic bag, used a straw to suck the air out, then used a twist tie. All of our food tasted like peppers for about a year...

LOL:lau:gig

I only have one relative who should probably never be allowed near a canner or canning jar. She takes everything beyond literally. That's my wonderful niece, Shanna. Poor girl. You know those sunshades that we can put in our car windows to block the sun when we park? Know how most of them say, "Remove before driving"? Yeah, they put that on there for the Shannas of the world.

We were having a family barbeque at Linda's house. Bev had brought over a huge green salad but no dressings. Since we also needed ice, Shanna and I volunteered to pick some dressing up when we went to the store. Well, we hit Sunshine...she looked and looked but didn't find the dressing she wanted. So we hit Hy-Vee. No dressing. We hit the Red Owl. Nope. We stopped at Omar's. No dressing. Finally I looked at her and said, "Exactly what kind of dressing are we looking for, Shan?" She wrinkled her forehead and said, "Grant and I went out for dinner last night and I had the best salad dressing - it was called 'House Dressing'." Somebody help me.............

Blooie, I can't stop laughing:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:gig:gig:gig:gig but that said, I put mom through a similar delima... Had lunch at Walgreen with Grandma. I was probably 6 or 7. Ordered a chef salad. Well what dressing do you want. Grandma suggested that i try the Roquefort so I did... It was wonderful.... I loved it and wanted more....

A few weeks later mom was trying to make me happy and buy the right salad dressing.... imagine her surprise when she found out that it couldn't be imported...

Hiya everybody
My test went well. It was challenging but I was able to persevere. :lol:
Sooooo happy for you.... Good job.

LOL:lau:gig

Blooie, I can't stop laughing:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:gig:gig:gig:gig but that said, I put mom through a similar delima... Had lunch at Walgreen with Grandma. I was probably 6 or 7. Ordered a chef salad. Well what dressing do you want. Grandma suggested that i try the Roquefort so I did... It was wonderful.... I loved it and wanted more....

A few weeks later mom was trying to make me happy and buy the right salad dressing.... imagine her surprise when she found out that it couldn't be imported...

Sooooo happy for you.... Good job.

I bet you could possibly import it now or there might be recipes?

Morning all:frow

KD, the recipe is pretty simple:
Ingredients Nutrition
  1. 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise.
  2. 1⁄3 cup buttermilk.
  3. 1⁄4 cup sour cream.
  4. 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice.
  5. 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce or 1⁄2 teaspoon vegetarian worcestershire sauce.
  6. 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce.
  7. 5 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled coarsely (about 1 cup)
but that said, something happened about that time... I don't remember what exactly but the cheese was no longer available... I don't know if France got mad at us and refused to export or if we got mad at them and refused to import. To a young kid, these kinds of issues are beyond the scope of understanding and I just wanted the salad dressing. Grandma, once again, came to the rescue and managed to find a pound of it somewhere and even got Walgreen's recipe for Mom.

Just for curiosity... Does anyone else remember the days when Walgreen's had a restaurant?

Morning!

@rjohns39 I remember when drug stores had lunch counters. My aunt worked at one in Ames, IA close to Iowa State Un for years. One of our favorite things to do as kids was go to Aunt Bert's drug store...she made the very best fountain drinks. My brother always got a Green River and I always got a Cherry something or other :D

@LittleBrownie glad to hear about the exam, I was wondering! How long do you have to wait for results?

Latest update on the restaurant: DH contacted our food supplier rep yesterday to ask about our delivery. The rep said according to their records, the food had already been delivered! :lol: :lau :gig

:th

Then they might want to check with the delivery driver and get the money he got from whoever he sold the stuff to.

Good thing @Blooie wasn't driving down to eat on opening day.

It will work out, it will, it will. I think it can, I think it can.

You know those stories you read about sometimes where a mailman died and his garage was filled with undelivered mail? That's where my mind went to...some delivery guy has a garage full of ribs, brats, lifetime supply of sandwich buns and dairy products.

Morning!

@rjohns39 I remember when drug stores had lunch counters. My aunt worked at one in Ames, IA close to Iowa State Un for years. One of our favorite things to do as kids was go to Aunt Bert's drug store...she made the very best fountain drinks. My brother always got a Green River and I always got a Cherry something or other :D

@LittleBrownie glad to hear about the exam, I was wondering! How long do you have to wait for results?

Latest update on the restaurant: DH contacted our food supplier rep yesterday to ask about our delivery. The rep said according to their records, the food had already been delivered! :lol: :lau :gig

Well they should be posted in a couple weeks..? I’m sure by the end of May I’ll know what I got :)

Back
Top Bottom